Cruise Critic Community
lunula

Hurtigruten question

I've read quite a bit about Hurtigruten, sounds like a fun adventure and far different than other cruises. We'd like to plan a trip to optimize our viewing possibilities of the Northern Lights; and I'd like to go to Norway, so looks like Hurtigruten is at the top of our list.

My question is, after reading a lot on their website (and having a print brochure), in addition to reading a lot of the reviews on CC; I still cannot surmise what is included in the cost of the trip. I've read some reviews discussing the very high prices for food onboard; so I assume one must pay for each meal? If so, what are food prices (on average) per day, per person?

So does the cruise fare just cover cabin costs, or other things, as well?

I understand drinks are almost always extra (vs. other cruise lines) - not a big deal, we aren't big drinkers, but we do like to eat. :)

Edited by lunula

If you purchase the round trip Bergen-Bergen all of your meals are included. (I am not sure of one way passage; I am sure someone else will answer this.) If you purchase port-to-port, meals are not included and they are pricey in the Cafe. Drinks are extra; we always buy wine/soft drinks before we board or at towns along the way to drink in our cabin. You are permitted to bring on alcohol for consumption in your cabin.

If you purchase the round trip Bergen-Bergen all of your meals are included. (I am not sure of one way passage; I am sure someone else will answer this.) If you purchase port-to-port, meals are not included and they are pricey in the Cafe.

The one way voyages are meals included (read the small print at the bottom of this page): http://www.hurtigruten.com/Norway/price/

Ah, okay! We were looking at the 7-day trip north; so it seems our meals are included. I did read there was a 24-hour cafe and payment was required for that? So I guess we're good-to-go unless we want something from this cafe or we want to purchase drinks (though we'll likely buy some stuff and bring it with us, instead).

Thanks a bunch! Was getting confused reading the reviews and getting warned about high food costs - we understand that the Scandinavian countries are traditionally expensive, and we are fully prepared for that, but I can't imagine having to pay for each meal while onboard after paying for a weeklong cruise!

Edited by lunula

Ah, okay! We were looking at the 7-day trip north; so it seems our meals are included. I did read there was a 24-hour cafe and payment was required for that? So I guess we're good-to-go unless we want something from this cafe or we want to purchase drinks (though we'll likely buy some stuff and bring it with us, instead).

There is a cafeteria (I'm not sure it's open 24/24, but it sure is open for most of the day) where you can buy drink and food-to-go, it is mainly used by the locals who board the ship for a few hours. You can use it but have to pay. There is also a "Coffee Deal": you buy a mug from the ship, and then you can drink coffee and tea as much as you want during the trip. It's worth it if you drink a lot of coffee/tea because the price is a bit high (and the coffee is not great), but then the mug is nice and makes a good souvenir! :p

You can bring your own drink on board (including alcohol) but you can drink it only in your cabin, not in the public areas and not in the restaurant. The drinks are not included with the meals either (except water, but you have to ask for tap water by the glass, or they will sell you the same water in bottle).

Meals are very generous (particularly breakfast and lunch buffet meals) and you shouldn't get hungry between meals! ;)

We did the round trip in September. We traveled with Vantage but it does appear that meals are included for the round trip or one way purchased through Hurtigruten. All alcohol is very expensive. We bought boxes of wine when we were off the ship. They cost about $80 vs $20-30 in the States. The coffee cup cost about $40 and does give you free coffee and tea during your trip. It does seem like a lot of money but it is good for a year so I can understand why Norwegians who travel regularly would find it useful. Before you buy, I would taste the coffee. I thought the coffee was awful. There was one advantage to having the coffee cup. Since the cup is a solid color, you could have wine or whatever from your cabin and no one could tell. The 4 of us carried our wine filled cups into the dining room every evening. Each beer in the bar cost $12-14. There are no tours included in the price through Hurtiguten. Our trip with Vantage included several bus tours as well as a walking tour of each town visited along with nightly movies and talks about Norway. There was a small (2 women) band performing nightly in one of the bars. The ship did provide a ceremony when crossing the arctic circle. The trip was amazing and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Carol

Hello,

If you check Hurtigruten website you can do a simulation with no meal, breakfast, half board (breakfast and dinner) and full pension.

If you choose only half board for instead, you can then use the cafeteria for lunch, should you wished, or get something at a port.

They've got a pretty good website I think, you can check the ship, choose your dates etc.

Cat25herine

What about flying home from or to northern Norway on the one way itinerary?

What about flying home from or to northern Norway on the one way itinerary?

There is an airport in Kirkenes which allows to go anywhere in the world (with a connecting flight from somewhere in Norway usually). You can book your flight yourself or through Hurtigruten (which will also arrange the transfert from ship to airport or from airport to ship).

There is an airport in Kirkenes which allows to go anywhere in the world (with a connecting flight from somewhere in Norway usually). You can book your flight yourself or through Hurtigruten (which will also arrange the transfert from ship to airport or from airport to ship).

I you want to organize your own flights:

www.flysas.com (extensive world-wide network throught the Star Alliance.)

www.norwegian.com (has flights to most of Europe (so called low-price airline, look out for hidden fees!)

In my blog I have a post about travelling in Norway: http://hrghurtigruten.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-get-to-hurtigruten-means-of.html

Edited by Skipskatta

Thank you for the link to your blog, I really enjoyed it, but I tried to become a "member " (so I can have information on your next updates in my blogger panel) and it seems my subscription has been canceled, is there a reason?

Thank you for the link to your blog, I really enjoyed it, but I tried to become a "member " (so I can have information on your next updates in my blogger panel) and it seems my subscription has been canceled, is there a reason?

Hm... I see no reason it would be cancelled. You are on the "follower-list". Hope it works!

We did the round trip in September. We traveled with Vantage but it does appear that meals are included for the round trip or one way purchased through Hurtigruten. All alcohol is very expensive. We bought boxes of wine when we were off the ship. They cost about $80 vs $20-30 in the States. The coffee cup cost about $40 and does give you free coffee and tea during your trip. It does seem like a lot of money but it is good for a year so I can understand why Norwegians who travel regularly would find it useful. Before you buy, I would taste the coffee. I thought the coffee was awful. There was one advantage to having the coffee cup. Since the cup is a solid color, you could have wine or whatever from your cabin and no one could tell. The 4 of us carried our wine filled cups into the dining room every evening. Each beer in the bar cost $12-14. There are no tours included in the price through Hurtiguten. Our trip with Vantage included several bus tours as well as a walking tour of each town visited along with nightly movies and talks about Norway. There was a small (2 women) band performing nightly in one of the bars. The ship did provide a ceremony when crossing the arctic circle. The trip was amazing and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Carol

My husband is doing this trip in February when hot drinks would be very welcome throughout the day. We were wondering if he brought his own cup and a supply of tea bags, could he get hot water for free or would they charge for that? Does anyone know?

Hi Comcox-

There was always hot water available for tea at the self serve counter of the cafe. I have no idea if they would charge for the hot water. It certainly wouldn't hurt to bring a mug and tea bags and ask. They did have a varied and good supply of tea bags and they weren't watching the counter every minute. They were very kind and friendly so I would think the water would be free but you know how things work - as soon as you make that kind of assumption, you're proved wrong!

Hope your husband enjoys the trip as much as we did!

Carol