Dress code in Blu

louise44

We just got off Silhouette on Wed and ate in Blu. There is no formal night in Blu and any of the other specialty restaurants. No confrontations at all. In fact Tuxedos were very few seen on this ship.

Pat

I do not wish to get into a confrontation with a maitre'dquote]

As is your right - completely up to you how to handle that situation.

As for myself - if I purchase a cabin in Aqua expressly so that I may enjoy dining in Blu on 'formal' nights in my smart causal attire, and enjoy the freedom of packing light and avoiding the need to drag around loads of extra luggage?

And if I have a hardcopy of the dress requirements from the website, and a hardcopy of an email from customer service stating that smart casual attire is acceptable in blu on formal nights - and the maitre'd still tries to turn me away?

Then baby, there *is* going to be a confrontation. :D

Are you booked in an Aqua Class cabin? It seems like fighting the "dress code battle" on the HAL board has got you all fired up and now you are taking up the fight with Celebrity;)

Are you booked in an Aqua Class cabin? It seems like fighting the "dress code battle" on the HAL board has got you all fired up and now you are taking up the fight with Celebrity;)

LOL - funny enough, I do like HAL, which together with Oceana are my two favorite cruise lines.

But we are planning an X cruise in aqua *precisely* to avoid the 'formal' dress requirements on HAL. The same reason I went with Oceana, although their itineraries are more limited and don't always fit my schedule.

Now, I find out that some clowns on X are violating the very policy that attracted me to the line in the first place.

So, I guess you're right - if a maitre'd on X tries to send me back to my room because I'm not wearing a tie in Blu, then yeah there will be a 'fight'. One that I'm not planning on losing :)

I am indeed booked in Aqua Class on the Silhouette, (departing on the 12th:)).

Now can you kindly refer to what post you are attributing to me? I do not know what 'battle on the HAL board' you are talking about.....:confused:

We just got off Silhouette on Wed and ate in Blu. There is no formal night in Blu and any of the other specialty restaurants. No confrontations at all. In fact Tuxedos were very few seen on this ship.

Pat

See, I was shocked at the amount of tuxes I saw. (as much as I abhor disagreeing with the lovely Pat!) I even took a picture of the room one evening. The one evening we dressed casual I felt really underdressed as well. What time were you generally eating?

The change to smart casual is a new thing, I would seriously doubt they are going to change it back to formal. Just to point out something to you but Celebritys call centers are notorious for giving out the wrong information, they have been doing it for years....

And we all know from experience how inaccurate and contradictory Celebrity's website can be.

Lawbreaker.Its not like they are going to pepper spray you and take you to the Brig

Admit it.You care and you care more than the average person. (its your right)

Trends change.

I can see you as a whinning 50 something when the trend changes back to ties.

Afterall jeans were out,in,out,in,out of fashion several times in my adult life.Likewise with ties.

The old saying"The more things change,the more they remain the same" will surely apply

:cj

There isn't a single comment in this post that has anything to do with the current topic.

I do not wish to get into a confrontation with a maitre'dquote]

As is your right - completely up to you how to handle that situation.

As for myself - if I purchase a cabin in Aqua expressly so that I may enjoy dining in Blu on 'formal' nights in my smart causal attire, and enjoy the freedom of packing light and avoiding the need to drag around loads of extra luggage?

And if I have a hardcopy of the dress requirements from the website, and a hardcopy of an email from customer service stating that smart casual attire is acceptable in blu on formal nights - and the maitre'd still tries to turn me away?

Then baby, there *is* going to be a confrontation. :D

I agree completely.

For goodness sake, just take a jacket and go with the flow. It isn't worth giving yourself a heart attack and making things miserable for the staff and fellow passengers on board.

This is simply your opinion.

In my case, for example, I have one suit jacket that I have worn twice since I bought it four years ago, and it would need to be altered at this point, or it would look more ridiculous to wear it than not wear it. And I don't want to wear, and according to the Blu dress code, I shouldn't have to wear it, so WHY would I spend the money to get it tailored?

(Sorry for the serial posting. Multi-quote isn't working for me at the moment for some reason...)

Why in the world do all of you choose to sail on Celebrity? One of the prime reasons that X has been my favorite cruise line over the past 15 years and 35+ total cruises is because it is well above the others in the class of service, passengers and ambiance. If you really feel that it is so difficult to put on a sports coat or wear a suit on a formal night when over 80% of the other passengers conform to a formal dress code, then perhaps Celebrity is the wrong cruise line for you. Please don't give me the BS that the policy has changed. All that I am asking is WHY are you on Celebrity and not another line that welcomes the dress that you prefer?

This is simply your opinion.

In my case, for example, I have one suit jacket that I have worn twice since I bought it four years ago, and it would need to be altered at this point, or it would look more ridiculous to wear it than not wear it. And I don't want to wear, and according to the Blu dress code, I shouldn't have to wear it, so WHY would I spend the money to get it tailored?

(Sorry for the serial posting. Multi-quote isn't working for me at the moment for some reason...)

Perhaps you should go ahead and get it altered. It's great that you have lost weight and the jacket is now baggy. At any rate, I'm sure that you would look just great in your dressed up fashion.

Why in the world do all of you choose to sail on Celebrity? One of the prime reasons that X has been my favorite cruise line over the past 15 years and 35+ total cruises is because it is well above the others in the class of service, passengers and ambiance. If you really feel that it is so difficult to put on a sports coat or wear a suit on a formal night when over 80% of the other passengers conform to a formal dress code, then perhaps Celebrity is the wrong cruise line for you. Please don't give me the BS that the policy has changed. All that I am asking is WHY are you on Celebrity and not another line that welcomes the dress that you prefer?

Because dress isn't all there is to it - we look for a laid back - refined (yet not fussy) vibe that is primarily adults (when we travel in February) - good food (though we don't expect Michelin start) - good wine and relaxation. Celebrity fits the bill in most ways. Last year, we followed the formal dress code on formal nights... but we are pleased to have the option of not dressing up while still following the rules as a AQ passengers this year. Why would we NOT choose celebrity?

My suspicion is that we have differing ideas of ambience, class or service - to each his or her own... but Celebrity changed the rules - i didn't.... I'm happy about it - I am relieved not to need a gown this year - my hubby is relieved not to need a tux or even a jacket... the other lines you suggest don't fit what we want - we don't want the loud, party all the time atmosphere... and i frankly don't understand the suggestion that just because we don't want to dress up we must be riff-raff.....we're not - we're just tired and cold and looking for some adult time together....

LOL - funny enough, I do like HAL, which together with Oceana are my two favorite cruise lines.

But we are planning an X cruise in aqua *precisely* to avoid the 'formal' dress requirements on HAL. The same reason I went with Oceana, although their itineraries are more limited and don't always fit my schedule.

Now, I find out that some clowns on X are violating the very policy that attracted me to the line in the first place.

So, I guess you're right - if a maitre'd on X tries to send me back to my room because I'm not wearing a tie in Blu, then yeah there will be a 'fight'. One that I'm not planning on losing :)

I hate to rain on your parade but the folks who run the ship make the rules and you may be surprised to find yourself put off the ship at the next port if you plan to be a little too confrontational. Good Luck!

I hate to rain on your parade but the folks who run the ship make the rules and you may be surprised to find yourself put off the ship at the next port if you plan to be a little too confrontational. Good Luck!

Oh and what a news story that would make. Bring it on and the law suit.

Wow I can't believe how this thread just goes on and on! On our Equinox cruise, we felt the MDR was too noisy and chaotic and were a bit disappointed in the food. Everything else about our Equinox cruise was great, so we are anxious to try AQ and Blu. Frankly, the change in dress code is another plus in favor of AQ for us. After 11 cruises, the whole formal night thing is losing its appeal, especially on a European cruise combined with a pre-cruise land trip.

This whole dress code debate really seems to be more of an issue for the men than the women since the standard for women is more vague. DH would have no problem wearing a blazer or sport coat and really has no problem with a tie, either. When you're packing for an extended trip, a sport coat is a lot more versatile than a suit. You can dress it down with jeans or dress it up with nice trousers, a dress shirt and tie. You can carry it on the plane. But we're well aware it's not "formal."

I do feel sorry for the Maitre d' who is caught in the middle between the aggresively pro-formal and aggresively pro-casual crowds. :rolleyes: All this talk of people being put off ships, lawsuits and reporting the poor Maitre d' to his superiors. Good grief, it's not worth getting that worked up about it!

Extremely difficult to sue the cruise lines and besides, you sign a contract which states you will obey the rules...

I am obeying the rules. I would be absolutely polite but would be dressed in smart casual and I would dine in Blu. If they put me off the ship for that, I'd have a field day with the press.

I don't understand what people here are fighting about. There are no formal nights in any of the specialty restaurants and that includes Blu. Just got off Silhouette last wed. and if you were eating in any of those restaurants no one told you to get dressed any different. We were in Aqua class and how people dress didn't bother me one bit.

Pat

Celebrity *does* welcome the dress that I prefer. Celebrity clearly states on their website that if I pay for the privilege of their Aqua class service, I am entitled to dine in their Aqua class dining room - Blu - where formal attire is explicitly *not* required, even on nights that are designated 'formal' for those who did not pay for the privilege of Aqua class.

That is precisely the reason I chose Celebrity. How then would a reasonable person react when turned away from Blue because they did not have 'formal' attire - which they never packed in the first place - even though they paid for that precise privilege?

Celebrity is precisely the cruise line that I am looking for, sir. I am only objecting because of reports that they are not delivering upon what people have paid for and been promised.

There isn't a single comment in this post that has anything to do with the current topic.

ummmmmmmmmm.It was in resonse to one of your post so I guess that must mean that YOU were off topic.

Geez,enjoy these dress code threads .Don't take 'em seriously.Buy a Jacket and relax

:cj

I am obeying the rules. I would be absolutely polite but would be dressed in smart casual and I would dine in Blu. If they put me off the ship for that, I'd have a field day with the press.

You may be right but I honestly believe the press would not care.You realize that don't you

Besides no ones going to be put off the ship,Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Lcj

You may be right but I honestly believe the press would not care.You realize that don't you

Besides no ones going to be put off the ship,Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Lcj

The press might have a field day, somehow your mode of dress doesn't seem as important as a nice norovirus scare. By the way, i know you didn't do it on purpose but somehow your post quoted me for something I didn't say.

Archived