Dress code in Blu

louise44

Extremely difficult to sue the cruise lines and besides, you sign a contract which states you will obey the rules...

Exactly! I will follow the rules as stated on the website and in promotional materials and not be intimidated by anyone into doing anything else...

There has to be more to AQ than opting out of Formal night.

On our Hawaiian Cruise AQ is nearly 700pp more than a balcony.

We could eat at Specialty Restaurants and get a few massages for the 1400 and have most of the cash left over

There has to be more to AQ than opting out of Formal night.

On our Hawaiian Cruise AQ is nearly 700pp more than a balcony.

We could eat at Specialty Restaurants and get a few massages for the 1400 and have most of the cash left over

Yes their are some other perks, they're listed on the Celebrity web site and there are other threads discussing the benefits of AQ.

Why is it $1,400 more? It is all about supply and demand. On our next cruise (10 day Caribbean) AQ is $400 more than a c2 and $400 less than a C1 cabin. We booked last year when the price differences were smaller and our cost then is less than the current price of a 1A veranda. It is all about supply and demand and Celebrity shifts its pricing frequently to move categories that are going slower than others and to increase their profit margin on categories that are selling better than others on a given cruise. Sometimes the AQ cabins are dirt cheap and sometimes they are very expensive.

Is it worth $1,400 more? Value is in the eye of the consumer and depends on your own preferences and budget. $1,400 is more than 50% of the cost of our next cruise but a much smaller percentage of some future cruises we have booked to more exotic locations.

You bring up some very good points about the relative value and the alternative things you could do with the $1,400. But only you can decide if your cruise budget is better spent on the AQ cabin or those other things, or saved for another day.

Yes their are some other perks, they're listed on the Celebrity web site and there are other threads discussing the benefits of AQ.

Why is it $1,400 more? It is all about supply and demand. On our next cruise (10 day Caribbean) AQ is $400 more than a c2 and $400 less than a C1 cabin. We booked last year when the price differences were smaller and our cost then is less than the current price of a 1A veranda. It is all about supply and demand and Celebrity shifts its pricing frequently to move categories that are going slower than others and to increase their profit margin on categories that are selling better than others on a given cruise. Sometimes the AQ cabins are dirt cheap and sometimes they are very expensive.

Is it worth $1,400 more? Value is in the eye of the consumer and depends on your own preferences and budget. $1,400 is more than 50% of the cost of our next cruise but a much smaller percentage of some future cruises we have booked to more exotic locations.

You bring up some very good points about the relative value and the alternative things you could do with the $1,400. But only you can decide if your cruise budget is better spent on the AQ cabin or those other things, or saved for another day.

Understand.

Its just that some on this thread said they are booking AQ to just avoid formal nights.

On my cruse if the Price difference were half I would stongly consider it due to some of the Spa perks( and still dress formally in Blu) but I would not book it simply to avoid dressing on formal nights as some have stated

I hate to rain on your parade but the folks who run the ship make the rules and you may be surprised to find yourself put off the ship at the next port if you plan to be a little too confrontational. Good Luck!

On reflection, an underlying theme of many dress threads has to do with control. Broadly speaking, many advocates of 'dressing up' struggle mightily in an effort to have others adhere to a certain code or 'standard' of dress, and wail, lament, and at times lash out at those who prefer a more casual and relaxed approach to attire.

At times, the 'controllers' will resort to threats of banishment - that is, how many times have we heard from the 'controllers' that people who are dressed "inappropriately" will be turned away - banished from the dining room.

But this is the first time I've heard it suggested that a paying passenger might be thrown off the ship for lodging a justifiable complaint that X is not following its own published dress guidelines. As an effort at control, that is a new low. And completely ineffective. :D

On reflection, an underlying theme of many dress threads has to do with control. Broadly speaking, many advocates of 'dressing up' struggle mightily in an effort to have others adhere to a certain code or 'standard' of dress, and wail, lament, and at times lash out at those who prefer a more casual and relaxed approach to attire.

At times, the 'controllers' will resort to threats of banishment - that is, how many times have we heard from the 'controllers' that people who are dressed "inappropriately" will be turned away - banished from the dining room.

But this is the first time I've heard it suggested that a paying passenger might be thrown off the ship for lodging a justifiable complaint that X is not following its own published dress guidelines. As an effort at control, that is a new low. And completely ineffective. :D

I don't think the quote you are referring to had anything to do with dress code compliance. Rather it had to do with some posters indicating a stated intent to be very confrontational if they found that things didn't go the way they thought they should at the dining room.

No one is going to be kicked off the ship for "lodging a justifiable complaint" and I know Ma Bell was not suggesting that. However there is a big difference between calmly lodging a justifiable complaint and coming on board with the intent of being confrontational as well as there is a big difference depending on how confrontational one intended to be.

Don't judge all people who like to dress up as controllers.

On a recent dress code thread that was closed one casual advocate said that those who dress formally would stick out like sore thumbs o the rest of the ship,outside the MDR ,on formal nights.Those of who sail Celebrity know that that statement was beyond ridiculous but some who have never sailed X wouldn't

:cj

No one is going to be kicked off the ship for "lodging a justifiable complaint" and I know Ma Bell was not suggesting that.

If you would kindly reread Ma Bell's post, that is precisely what she was suggesting.

It's still kind of mind-boggling that this is even being debated. If Celebrity explicity publishes literature stating that specialty restaurants including Blu are 'smart casual' even on formal nights, and if one purchases an Aqua class ticket precisely for the purpose of being able to pack lightly and dress comfortably, and if the Maitre'd or dining room manager of Blu denies those passengers access because they are not formally attired - then how on earth would any reasonable person deny that passenger the right to complain, and to press that compliant as far up the chain of command as possible?

Perhaps there are some people out there who would tuck their tail between their legs and allow some officious Maitre'd to treat them like a doormat, and skulk back to their cabins after being publicly humiliated in such a fashion. My simple point is - I am not one of those people.

Don't judge all people who like to dress up as controllers.

:cj

I certainly don't Cap'n Jake - I am only speaking of a subset. Many people like dressing up and have no interest in imposing upon others. I have enjoyed cruising with many such people.

Really, I'm addressing only those who use threats of coercion, veiled or otherwise.

If you would kindly reread Ma Bell's post, that is precisely what she was suggesting.

I reread her post and she did not suggest that at all. She was addressing someone who stated they were going to become confrontational and that is what they could be thrown off the ship for...Here is exactly what she said....Obviously saying if you plan on being confrontational..

I hate to rain on your parade but the folks who run the ship make the rules and you may be surprised to find yourself put off the ship at the next port if you plan to be a little too confrontational. Good Luck!

I reread her post and she did not suggest that at all. She was addressing someone who stated they were going to become confrontational and that is what they could be thrown off the ship for...Here is exactly what she said....Obviously saying if you plan on being confrontational..

Sorry, but that interpretation is simply wrong.

Nothing that I have said could remotely be considered by any decent or reasonable person to justify my removal from the ship - which is clearly what was stated.

I do not wish to get into a confrontation with a maitre'dquote]

As is your right - completely up to you how to handle that situation.

As for myself - if I purchase a cabin in Aqua expressly so that I may enjoy dining in Blu on 'formal' nights in my smart causal attire, and enjoy the freedom of packing light and avoiding the need to drag around loads of extra luggage?

And if I have a hardcopy of the dress requirements from the website, and a hardcopy of an email from customer service stating that smart casual attire is acceptable in blu on formal nights - and the maitre'd still tries to turn me away?

Then baby, there *is* going to be a confrontation. :D

LOL - funny enough, I do like HAL, which together with Oceana are my two favorite cruise lines.

But we are planning an X cruise in aqua *precisely* to avoid the 'formal' dress requirements on HAL. The same reason I went with Oceana, although their itineraries are more limited and don't always fit my schedule.

Now, I find out that some clowns on X are violating the very policy that attracted me to the line in the first place.

So, I guess you're right - if a maitre'd on X tries to send me back to my room because I'm not wearing a tie in Blu, then yeah there will be a 'fight'. One that I'm not planning on losing :)

I thought what I said was fairly simple to understand, but to make it completely clear, my comment was in relation to the degree of confrontation one plans on having. Some of us who have been on many cruises have seen passengers who have made a scene removed from the ship at the next port. It would be a shame for something like that to happen.

I thought what I said was fairly simple to understand, but to make it completely clear, my comment was in relation to the degree of confrontation one plans on having. Some of us who have been on many cruises have seen passengers who have made a scene removed from the ship at the next port. It would be a shame for something like that to happen.

Then let me clarify the matter for you, in case there was some misinterpretation.

If you think that I will be put off of any ship for any reason, then you are clearly and plainly mistaken.

I don't think the dress code was mentioned.

Huh? In looking back, as far as I can tell, post #90 is the first to start complaining about the dress code and people who do or do not adhere to it. And it continues from there. Okay, I guess I was wrong, this thread only made it 5 and 1/2 pages before it fell apart.

Archived