Rome Review - How we covered all of Rome in a day on our own

VirtualRain

VirtualRain, your report (and pictures) are superb. I wish it had been available before my visit last summer ! I 'did' the things below, and had a great day, but would have benefited from your advice.

St Peter's Basilica

I stayed in Rome the night before so got there at 9.10 on a Saturday in July, and there was no great queue, but when we came out at 10.45 it was as shown in the last clip in that video. You go through airport-style security checks and they are very strict on the dress code - entrance is free, but shorts, bare shoulders and miniskirts are not permitted.

Wish I'd gone up to the top of the dome :(

The Colosseum, inc. the Underground tour

Booked the ticket for this online. If you do the underground (hypogeum) tour you have a guide for there and the rest of the Colosseum and you go up to the 3rd tier. Booked the 1pm tour (in English) and spent 90 minutes in the Colosseum. The bit about the hypogeum that shows in the video is the extent of where you can do 'downstairs' but it is plenty to get a real idea of what went on. Our ticket also gave entry to :

Palatine Hill and the Forum

and while this is not as spectacular as the Colosseum it is still well worth doing. The Forum is not well-signposted so take a good guide book.

The Pantheon

Your best 'view' of how things were in Ancient Rome. Just walk up and enjoy a prime example of Roman building design genius.

Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps

These won't take long to visit but why would you not want to see them both ? If you throw a coin in the fountain you will be making a contribution to the 3,000 euros a day which are collected and given to charity.

So you could easily do that in a day, and a bit more. I suppose it depends when you have to leave Rome for Civi.

All the best, Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Bravo! Nice, clear information and absolutely beautiful photos.

(And of course as I'm a big promoter of doing Rome on your own, your post is a huge validation. :))

Totally agree about the photos. What do you think are the advantages of seeing Rome on your own?

Totally agree about the photos. What do you think are the advantages of seeing Rome on your own?

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I find that when I plan to see a place on my own, I read/research more carefully before I go, and because of that, I end up remembering much more about what I see than just hearing a guide say it once. Also, because I have specific interests, I often have a list of things to see and do that don't coincide with most first-time visitors -- so for me, a private tour with other people is a compromise that I'm sometimes (or often) not willing to make.

I also feel there is no "insulating layer" between me as a traveler and the people who live and work in a place. I'm riding the train or bus or metro like they are, I'm walking the streets, I can see something that interests me and can stop on a dime to look, without having to wait for a driver to park the car somewhere and then get out and look. (And buses are hopeless for me -- you are cut off from all the sounds, the smells, etc that make a place memorable.)

Finally, I have a sense of accomplishment when I'm able to see and do things on my own. Since I'm often a solo traveler, it's given me a great deal of self-confidence to do other things. Once you've conquered one subway system in another country, others aren't that hard either..... and so on.

Rome in particular is a city where the past and present coexist on almost every block. I like walking around and looking for the odd piece of statuary or broken column, or part of an ancient building that has been incorporated into a modern one. I've been to Rome many times now and while walking around last fall I had two "moments" like this where I noticed things I'd never noticed before. There are many narrow streets (quite safe, close to the main areas) where you'll come across an unusual store or a great-looking restaurant. Rome completely lends itself to walking -- and the walking provides a nice respite between the "big" sites (e.g., a fun way to go from museum to church to Colosseum and so on).

Edited by cruisemom42

Thank you for posting all the excellent information.

We have been to Rome several times ourselves but my sister will be traveling with us this time (her first visit)and we have the typical one day cruise visit.

Were looking for more of a leisurely day and yet i am wondering if I am still being to aggressive.

Train to Rome *-Termini Station

Metro to Colosseum

Taxi to Trevi Fountain*

Coffee break

Leisurely walk to Pantheon and onto Piazza Navona

Lunch surrounding area and people watching

Taxi to St Peters square and the Basicila

Metro back to Termini or are we better off in a Taxi.

3pm or so train back to Port.

Do not want to leave it too late to return as we had to sit on the floor a few years back.

Appreciate any input.

Thank you for posting all the excellent information.

We have been to Rome several times ourselves but my sister will be traveling with us this time (her first visit)and we have the typical one day cruise visit.

Were looking for more of a leisurely day and yet i am wondering if I am still being to aggressive.

Train to Rome *-Termini Station

Metro to Colosseum

Taxi to Trevi Fountain*

Coffee break

Leisurely walk to Pantheon and onto Piazza Navona

Lunch surrounding area and people watching

Taxi to St Peters square and the Basicila

Metro back to Termini or are we better off in a Taxi.

3pm or so train back to Port.

Do not want to leave it too late to return as we had to sit on the floor a few years back.

Appreciate any input.

It's a lot, but it's doable.

There's no need to go to Termini on the train if the Colosseum is your first stop. Instead, get off the train at Ostiense station, then transfer to the Metro station (adjacent to train station, the name of the station is "Pyramide") and head up two stops to the Colosseo metro stop. You will be literally across the street from the Colosseum. This is much faster.

After seeing the Colosseum, I'd just walk to Trevi Fountain; it's not all that far and it's a pleasant walk. (Unless you have mobility issues, in which case you might be able to nab a taxi just where you came out of the Colosseo metro station; it's not a stand, but there are often a few there.)

Next part looks fine to me. There's a taxi stand beside the Pantheon; I don't know where one is at Piazza Navona.....either way, it's not much of a backtrack.

After St. Peters' Basilica, I'd just go to the San Pietro train station to get the train back to Civitavecchia. It's a few minutes' walk from the Basilica, but faster for sure than going back to Termini. (And at Termini there is quite a distance to walk to the track itself.)

On the other hand, as you point out, you may not get a seat if getting on at San Pietro because the train originates at Termini. However, the train should clear out somewhat as you travel; you'll eventually get a seat.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so very much for this wonderful guide to Rome. Hubby and I will definately "follow in your footsteps"

Have you done any other cities similar???

Thanks again, some people are just soo kind in sharing their knowledge to others, greatly appreciated.

We are still toying with the option of buying museum tickets to avoid the line at the vatican.

We will be there on a Saturday in June.

Any guesses on how long it could take to get through the museum if we only stop in the Sistine Chapel vs how long the line to the Basilica could take?

Also, we are a family of 5, what are the chances that we will not be allowed out the group exit?

Thanks

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to post the day in Rome. I just booked a cruise for late June and we'll be in Rome for 2 days prior. You have saved me so much time. I will tweak a bit when needed, but thank you for not making me invent the wheel!!!:)

We are still toying with the option of buying museum tickets to avoid the line at the vatican.

We will be there on a Saturday in June.

Any guesses on how long it could take to get through the museum if we only stop in the Sistine Chapel vs how long the line to the Basilica could take?

Also, we are a family of 5, what are the chances that we will not be allowed out the group exit?

Thanks

In order to get to the Sistine Chapel you must walk through most of the Vatican. It could be crowded and take a while. If you don't get tickets in advance it is best to go about 12-12:30 after the morning tours and before the afternoon tours. The line should be much shorter at that time. I really don't think you will have a problem using the tour exit into St Peters. Just wait until you see a tour leave then just follow it. We have been to Rome several times and we usually go to St Peters Square. The line has always been long.

I've been re-reading this excellent post for a while now, convinced I was going to follow it step by step, but then I realized my time in port (in June) is from 8am to 7pm, which is clearly shorter than the OPs timeframe. Not sure what time I'll have to be on board but the ship excursions appear to come back around 6:15 so I'm assuming I'll need to be on my way out of Rome by 4pm.

Is it even possible to do the Vatican on a schedule like this? I really just want to see the basilica and Sistine Chapel, but with my shorter time in port I feel like getting a 2pm timed ticket is too late, and any earlier ticket will cause me to rush through everything else. I'm considering now just going to St. Peter's square to see it, and save the inside of the Vatican for a future trip. Can you easily see the basilica in less time, by skipping the museum altogether?

I'm considering now just going to St. Peter's square to see it, and save the inside of the Vatican for a future trip. Can you easily see the basilica in less time, by skipping the museum altogether?

The museums take up far more time, for most visitors, than the basilica. If you focus just on the basilica you'll have plenty of time for other parts of Rome.

This is a tremendous thread by the way. But The OP talks about taking the train and the metro. Are the following assumptions correct?

The Metro is like a subway that you can hop on and off around ROme with? Does the BIRG ticket pay for this or is there a seperate subway fee?

You dont take the Metro back to Civit, but instead take it to one of the larger stations like Termini or San Pietro?

Is there anyway to get on the wrong train from Rome back to Civit? obviously you can get on the wrong train and go the wrong direction but if you bought the BIRG ticket in the morning are there only certain trains you can return to Civi on or basically if its leaving Rome going to CIVI feel free to get on.

Do you "validate" with the yellow boxes everytime you get on and off a train or just once that day?

Thanks.

I know the BIRG ticket includes unlimited use of the Rome Metro system, but I don't understand how - is the BIRG ticket like a Metrocard in NYC that you swipe to get in/out of the Metro stations or do you show your BIRG ticket to get a Metro pass or something? I've read multiple sources and can't find a reference to it, other than the BIRG lets you use the Metro.

Huge thanks to the OP for sharing this info!!

I'll try to help. It's been a couple of years since we used the BIRG ticket, but here's my recollection:

On a port day, you would depart the ship--the port at Civitavecchia is a large working port, and you you can't just walk out, but rather must take the mandatory (free) shuttle bus to the port gate. From there, it's a, maybe, 10 minute walk along the waterfront to the train station (opposite side of the street). You buy a BIRG ticket from the window, and proceed to the proper track for the train to Rome (Termini, but also stops at San Marco, for the Vatican, Tratavere, Ostiense (connect to Metro; 2 stops to the Coloseum), or Termini ("ter-meen-ee"), the main station. You'll see an ancient-looking yellow machine on the wall or on a post--cancel your BIRG ticket here--the BIRG ticket is (or, was) a heavy paper ticket, much like a parking garage ticket/receipt, with a magnetic stripe down the back.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1nGmgtCbATLQRfr9FExZU_Y42ZWFcm-I3rXjfpxJ3lubTbnYkzQ

This is not a BIRG ticket, but the BIRG ticket looks just like it:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTk2C4Y6CXMHMz7uJnRhQiq-ZW51vZikiTANfAhNRAhL2BN9FWE

Get on the train to Rome, and alight where you wish. Your BIRG ticket is also good for the Metro (North American 'subway', or 'underground', or 'tube'), Rome buses, trams, 'Electricos'--really cool, small, electric buses that wend their way through the historic center of Rome.

For buses and trams, I believe you just get on, and show your BIRG ticket to the driver. For the Metro, I seem to recall that you show it to the ticket agent at the turnstile/ticket wicket.

You use your BIRG ticket all day for transportation. I seem to recall that you only validate it once--before use.

The BIRG ticket is good for all Rome transportation, and 'Regionale' trains (i.e. not 'high speed' trains.

Be aware that the Metro in Rome is not overly useful for visitors--it's just 2 lines, and only a few stops that may be of use.

When taking the train back to Civitavecchia at the end of the day (check times at trenitalia.it), you may catch it at Termini -- some trains also stop at Ostiense and/or Trastavere and/or San Marco. Trains take an hour from Termini; 40 mins from San Marco. Catching the train at Ostiense, Trastevere or San Marco is rather easy, as there are only a few tracks, so easy to find the right one. Termini is a huge, busy place--the trains for Civitavecchia (almost--check the screens) leave from 'satellite' tracks 25-29, which are a FAR walk from the main concourse (tracks 1-24)--walk a couple of hundred metres next to track 24 to reach them. Make sure to leave yourself plenty of time to find out from the screens/signs which track your train will be on ('bin.' ("binario") = track), and to walk to it.

Termini station map, showing satellite tracks (25-29):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRbZ4SPm_MeznixoEqLuaY2n0Vh0SdLqtUo2MkGI8v1zJ431NEVA

I would recommend that you avoid Termini unless you really want to see a huge European train station inaction--use the other stations. On the way in, use San Marco for the Vatican, Trastavere for walking/exploring, or Ostiense for a quick metro transfer to the Coloseum, and any one of those on the return.

Good luck--enjoy Rome!

Thank you NumberSix, that was incredibly helpful!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the point of validating your ticket is so that the time/date is stamped on the BIRG ticket, since it's only valid for 24 hours. That way, they can tell if you're trying to use it past that 24 hour window, so the only time to validate it would be at the beginning of your journey.

I know the BIRG ticket includes unlimited use of the Rome Metro system, but I don't understand how - is the BIRG ticket like a Metrocard in NYC that you swipe to get in/out of the Metro stations or do you show your BIRG ticket to get a Metro pass or something? I've read multiple sources and can't find a reference to it, other than the BIRG lets you use the Metro.

Huge thanks to the OP for sharing this info!!

You can put the Birg ticket into the turn styles at the metro to open the gates.

The train station for the Vatican and St Peters is St Peters I have never heard of it called San Marco.

You can put the Birg ticket into the turn styles at the metro to open the gates.

The train station for the Vatican and St Peters is St Peters I have never heard of it called San Marco.

:o:o:o:o:o:o

Ay carumba!!! I meant to say San Pietro.

Dreaming of Venice, I guess! Thanks for waking me up!!