first time aft room ???

luvinacruise

We have been on many cruises and always enjoyed our mid-ship balcony room. We will be cruising on the Epic for the second time and we were thinking of trying an Aft room. Wondering if you get much more motion being on the end of the ship. also what deck is the best. Would love some input from anyone who has cruised the Epic in an aft room.

I sailed last year in an aft penthouse on 13th deck. It was fantastic. We had some really rough seas and experienced an almost bounce like feeling a couple of times at night when we were moving at a higher rate of speed beween locations. There were vibrations early in the mornings when docking at two of the ports but really didn't bother us. I have read on the boards about others who commented on the noise associated with this but I really didn't notice that. It was the first aft cabin we have ever had and we both prefer it now. The view is great and you are sheltered from the rain and wind while others are unable to use their balconies. I say go for it.

We also had the opportunity to spend some time in the Aft Penthouse on 13 (13295) and all I can say is: Once you go AFT you can never go FORWARD again!

We loved watching and hearing the wake and we were able to use our balcony on sea days with no wind at all. ;)

We've sailed Aft balconies ( alas - no PH for us ) on our last few cruises..... We love it. Kind of like once you go to a balcony....no going back....and once you go aft it's hard to go forward. Really love the peacefulness of the wake. Have an aft balcony booked side by side with three other cabins on our upcoming Epic cruise. (in Alaska we had the entire aft deck booked side by side - we opened up the partitions and had a grand time):D

OP: yes you will feel more motion forward and aft on a ship than you will at midship.

As for never being able to "go forward" again if you sail in an aft cabin, having been in an aft suite (on the Jade), which we loved, speaking just for ourselves of course, we disagree with that sentiment as much as the sentiment that once you sail in a suite, you can never go back to a non-suite again.

We did love watching the wake from our aft balcony, but the location is quite inconvenient to many things on the ship. Depending on the itinerary (e.g., a warm weather cruise where you might want to be using the pool), you might find that the trips back and forth get a little old.

Since the cruise on the Jade, we've taken two cruises in "regular" (non-suite) balconies, forward of midship, and enjoyed them both.

OP: yes you will feel more motion forward and aft on a ship than you will at midship.

As for never being able to "go forward" again if you sail in an aft cabin, having been in an aft suite (on the Jade), which we loved, speaking just for ourselves of course, we disagree with that sentiment as much as the sentiment that once you sail in a suite, you can never go back to a non-suite again.

We did love watching the wake from our aft balcony, but the location is quite inconvenient to many things on the ship. Depending on the itinerary (e.g., a warm weather cruise where you might want to be using the pool), you might find that the trips back and forth get a little old.

Since the cruise on the Jade, we've taken two cruises in "regular" (non-suite) balconies, forward of midship, and enjoyed them both.

I have to agree. We just had an aft balcony cabin on the Star. In addition to the comments above about the long trek to get anywhere, I couldn't watch the wake, as it tended to make me dizzy & nauseaous. I have had many balcony cabins and never had the problem before. SO when I was sitting out there, I'd just look at the horizon. The balcony was quite a bit larger than the side balconies, but for just the two of us, we didn't need the extra room. Depending on the ports you are in, the ship was always facing forward, so we could see nothing of the port, only facing straight out the back. And add in the extra cost to the aft balcony, I don't think we will be booking one again. JMO

We were in an aft balcony (on another line) for the first time this year and absolutely loved it. We're booked on the Star in January 2013 in an aft penthouse (big anniversary year splurge) and can't wait. You will be hiking to get anywhere but we thought of it as calorie burning. The location makes it quiet and restful. We actually found ourselves spending much of the cruise on the balcony, only venturing out to go ashore, eat, and dance in the evening. Since neither of us really use the pool it saved us from hunting chairs and listening to the loud mega TV. If you can get an outside corner you can see to the side and lots of our dockings we were backed into the dock so had a great view that some side balconies didn't have. We highly recommend the aft cabins.

We have our first AFT booked later on next year. We booked it because everyone RAVES about them but I did not realize that the bed is oriented in such a way that the rocking motion is head to toe instead of side to side.

Has anyone had a problem with the bed orientation vs a standard balcony located somewhere else?

@luvinacruise -

DW and I do only AFT cabins. In theory the ends should be livelier than the center in any rough sea. (Center of gravity, fulcrum and all that.) I know that it is true and very noticeable forward, but it seems much less so aft. If it is, it has never bothered us at.

Which deck to choose? I would make sure that there are cabins above and below my cabin, rather than a theater, restaurant or bowling alley. Will be on the Epic (aft) in April Miami - Barcelona.

via iPod touch and Tapatalk.

Been on Epic aft balconies twice. Just returned from the TransAtlantic. Stateroom 10320 deck 10. Loved it both times. Also Star Penthouse aft, fabulous. Both were quiet and not much foot traffic in the hallways. Even turned down an upsell to keep it. Didn't notice any major difference in motion.

Been in Aft Penthouse Suites on the Star,Gem and Spirit, GREAT, the wind factor is about zero compared to going out on deck on all cruises. We were able to enjoy our balcony all the time. Motion was not an issue. Location made for more walking, but we appreciated that!

We have been on many cruises and always enjoyed our mid-ship balcony room. We will be cruising on the Epic for the second time and we were thinking of trying an Aft room. Wondering if you get much more motion being on the end of the ship. also what deck is the best. Would love some input from anyone who has cruised the Epic in an aft room.

There can be but we absolutely love "aft" it is the front that has the real motion problems. We only go mid or forward when we have little choice. Aft is the way to go and enjoy!!!

Nita

Archived