Barcelona Hotel Pre Night Stay

Hello, I am looking for some help from the board readers. Would like to hear from past cruisers leaving from Barcelona. Any suggestions on good hotels in Barcelona , and also how much taxi fares or transfer shuttles may cost from the Airport to the hotel area downtown and also from the hotels to the cruise ship ports. This is a one night pre cruise stay.

Is it easy to get cabs and/or shuttles to the hotel .

Thank you

We've been in Barcelona a couple of times, and will be going again next month on the Splendour. On average, Barcelona hotels are quite expensive....ranging from about $90-150 for an inexpensive hotel (double-occupancy). Many hotels in Europe only allow double occupancy, with an occasional exception for a child. Since we are a family of 8 traveling, and going in for a one-night pre-cruise stay, and a two-night post-cruise stay, we've opted for an apartment rental which will cost about $250 per night for a three bedroom apartment with two baths. If there's only two of you, take a look at some of the online discount travel websites. Be sure to book something with private (ensuite) "facilities." Many of the star-ratings can be deceiving, so be careful. For example, a 3-star hotel may not be what it is here in the States. On our last trip, we stayed at the Husa Oriente, right on Las Ramblas at a decent rate (about $85). Nothing real fancy (and I understand they did some recent renovations), but it was central to all of the touristy spots, and within walking distance of local transportation. Another option might be to stay away from this area, and instead, stay at one of the outlying districts. Be sure to check the hotel's distance from public transportation. (I don't recall the name, but I think it's a Barcelo hotel which is actually right above a train station.) Hotel costs can be considerably less, and transportation (buses and underground) are rather inexpensive. You can hop a bus or train into the tourist downtown area.

As for transportation from the airport to the Las Ramblas area, if I recall correctly, it cost us around $25 each way. There are also buses and underground/train, which cost about $5 (I'm going by memory here, but it was not very expensive). Most stop or connect at Placa Catalunia, which is very central at the top of Las Ramblas, so be sure to check how far your hotel is from there.

As for getting to the ship from your hotel, it would depend on how far, or where you stay. But, taxis are easy to get in Barcelona. If you're unsure if one will be available, simply ask your hotel desk clerk to call one for you. You can do this when you go to breakfast in the morning, and request a pickup time.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise! Barcelona is a wonderful city....you'll have a great time!

Lauren

I've doing research for my Sept cruise from Barcelona. The following are some of the hotels I've found on this site that have been recommended by others. I actually booked the Hotel Continental.

Hotel Continetal, Hotel Continental Palacete, Gran Havana, Le Meridien,

Hotel Colon, Barri Gotic, Hotel Majestic, Hotel Jazz, Hostal Opera, NH Calderon Hote, Ac Diplomat, Condes de Barcelona, Apsis Atrium Palace,

Hotel Montecarlo, Hostal Opera

You should be able to find reviews on these, and other hotels, on the Barcelona section of tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g187497-Barcelona_Catalonia-Vacations.html

We've booked Apsis Palace based on recommendations and reviews...sounds good. Rate we booked: 130 Euro/night/2 people.

I've booked Barcelona Taxi for transport from a/p to hotel then hotel to cruise ship terminal - 25 and 20 Euros respectively.

We've been in Barcelona several times - but this will be our first time alone and while I know I could get cabs at a/p, etc. I just preferred having someone waiting!

Have a wonderful time: there's lots to see and do in beautiful Barcelona. (And on top of that: you'll also get to cruise in the Med.!) Doesn't get any better than that!

Last July we stayed at Hotel Colon, http://www.hotelcolon.es/ It was nothing fancy but it was clean and in the best location. We paid 120euro per night and booked it directly with the hotel via email. We will definitely go back to this hotel. It's pretty close to the pier too, I can't remember what the taxi cost us but it wasn't too expensive.

Some years back we stayed at the Hotel Claris, a really fine boutique hotel, before our cruise. I see they are now part of a group, Derby Hotels, which has 4 or 5 properties in Barcelona. Claris is the most expensive at $275 euros, but the others are offered under "promotions" for under 100 euros.

I too don't remember the cab fares from the airport or to the ship, but they didn't seem shocking like a lot of cities.

We stayed at Abba Sant Hotel in Barcelona. It cost about $100.00 US. We got it on Orbitz. It is really a business man's hotel so was pretty empty on the weekend. It is about 1/2 block from the Sant Train Station. It cost about $25 for a taxi to the airport and $10.00 to the ship. We could walk to the tourist bus stop. It is a really luxurius hotel and the staff was very helpful. wait till you see the Bathrooms. I can't say enough about it. Even the breakfast was great!, We loved Barcelona and can't wait till we go back. M

Our 2 families are cruising on the Splendour out of Barcelona this summer. We wanted 2 rooms to accomodate our 2 families of four. (We found that many properties only allow 3 people per room including children.) The ARts Hotel (a Ritz-Carlton hotel) has a promo rate for a deluxe room that will accomodate 2 adults and 2 children at a rate of 250.00 Euros. Not cheap, but better than paying for 2 rooms at other places. Good luck:)

I've stayed at both the Oriente and the Hotel Colon in Bari Gotic. Both hotels are cheap, clean, central and friendly. I agree with other posters that hotels in central Barcelona are expensive by any standards. We always use hotelclub.com.au for booking hotels in Europe. Enjoy your trip!

• 1 month later...

Dr Pam,

Did you book the Hotel Arts directly through Ritz. When I call they twll me only 2 adults one child. We too are a family of four and would love to stay there. Any help is appreciated.

Laurie

We also liked the Apsis Atrium Palace. Its a relatively new hotel (opened in 2003 I believe) in an old building about a 5 minute walk from the Placa Catalunya. Although not large, our room had all the necessary amenities including very efficient air conditioning. You can book it with or without breakfast through the Utell Hotel website.

A cab from the airport cost about 25 Euros and I believe it was about 20 Euros from the hotel to the pier. Note: The cabs tend to be small. We needed more space for 3 of us and my husband's wheelchair and were able to find a minvan cab, but there are very few of them.

Try this link:

BARCELONA TAXI TOUR

E-mail Address(es):

taxibarcelona@hotmail.com

I believe the prices are 25 E a/p to hotel and 20 E hotel to pier.....good luck. They have been very good about returning my messages.

They also have a website

http://www.barcelonataxi.com

We have used them on all our Barcelona trips.. they are super.

Also do tours if you want to do that.

Hello, I am looking for some help from the board readers. Would like to hear from past cruisers leaving from Barcelona. Any suggestions on good hotels in Barcelona , and also how much taxi fares or transfer shuttles may cost from the Airport to the hotel area downtown and also from the hotels to the cruise ship ports. This is a one night pre cruise stay.

Is it easy to get cabs and/or shuttles to the hotel .

Thank you

Taxis are plentiful in Barcelona so you don't have to worry. You really do not have to pre book one ,they are at the airport -you just get in line.

If you want the "private car- meet and greet as you exit customs" then again the aforementioned barcelonataxi.com

is a great choice.

It is not far from the airport to "downtown" about 20 minutes..

from Las Ramblas to cruise port about 5 minutes

If you are going in summer.. be sure that you book a hotel with air conditioning ;-)

or that it is working...

at some of the not "Ritz Carlton" hotels.. you will find that some do not have air..

or their idea of air may be a "fan"........oh dear!

I looked up some of the above mentioned hotels to find they only can handle 2 in their rooms -I have three adults ( actually 2 very tall teens and myself) any recommendations on Hotels that do triples?

Hi Laurie,

I booked the hotel online after phoning main reservations and verbally confirming that our family (Children ages 10 & 7 yrs) could occupy one room. But.....sometimes what one reservation agent might say may be different from the next. I phoned this AM again to central reservations to confirm our reservation and occupancy. I was told that as long a family of four may occupy 1 room as long as the children are under age 12 years and can sleep in the 2 double beds. If a rollaway is required, it is an additional ~120 Euros!!!

I asked RitzCarlton central reservations to e-mail me confirmation of this, as I like to have everything in writing in case we check in and there is a misunderstanding. Good luck.

Pam

I looked up some of the above mentioned hotels to find they only can handle 2 in their rooms -I have three adults ( actually 2 very tall teens and myself) any recommendations on Hotels that do triples?

Try this link....scroll down to see Hotels with triples available

http://www.venere.com/en/reservation/spain/cataluna/barcelona/hotels/1688/?sd=08&sm=07&sy=2005&ed=10&em=07&ey=2005&pval=3&rval=1

Pam,

Thanks for the info. I followed your advice and called reservations again. A different agent was all I needed. The rate is higher, 340 Euros but we can get 4 (my kids are 6 and 9) in a room. So its decision time. An Atrium Palace Suite ( 2 rooms) for 250 Euros close to Playa Cataluna or the Hotel Arts. Which is better if we only have one day to see Barcelona? Our flight leaves early the next morning.

Any advice is appreciated!

Lingber:

I would go with the Atrium Palace because it is more centrally placed. Not only are you within a couple minutes of the off-on tour bus, but you are alos close to the top of the Ramblas. Strolliing the Ramblas is a lot of fun. There are street performers, a bird market, a flower market, etc.

In addition, the Cortes Ingles is also close. The Cortes Ingles is a department type store with a market in the basement. Its great in case you have forgotten anything or want to buy water to bring on the cruise. They also have a souvenier section on one of the top floors where you can find many of the best quality Barcelona souveniers in one place at good prices.

Hi Laurie,

I checked on line and had phoned to confirm that there is still a promotional ratenof 250 EUROS. Maybe phone again....or go to http://www.ritzcarlton.com and do the plugs. Then phone central reservations to make the sure addendum of 2 adults/2 children are linked to your reservation. Good luck. P.S. Which cruise sailing is your family on? We are on the Splendour 7/30/05.

Pam

Archived