Interesting interaction with RCL dining. RCL Will Bake for Us!?!

gcuecruise

Our daughters have a variety of food allergies. The worst, as far as avoidance, is the egg allergy our youngest has. Picture all of those yummy desserts you eat on the cruise. She can't eat most of them. Donuts, morning pastries, waffles, pancakes, etc, she can not have.

Of course as you know you can not bring food that is not store bought and sealed onto the ship.

So not surprisingly, when we called RCL dining we were told we could not bring aboard cookies that we make that are egg-free. Our plan simply being, at dessert time in the MDR we bring out some safe cookies for her. Otherwise, she basically eats jello most of the week.

But the interesting part of this story is the response from RCL dining. We were told to bring any packaged mix (cake, cookie, etc) and tell them (via the Matre' D) how to prepare it for us (i.e. leaving the egg out but adding whatever to replace the egg).

Can you believe RCL is willing to actually bake for us?!! This is very admirable of them. Although, frankly, the logistics of this seem to be very difficult to figure out. They have (Oasis) 6000 passengers and they are going to bake for us, make it correctly, and get the baked goods back to us?! Yikes.

So this brings up another thought. Since rumrunners get through security, don't you think a rubbermaid/tupperware type of box of cookies would too?

Does anybody have any thoughts or experience on this? I am interested in hearing anybody's thoughts regarding RCL's response, bringing on covert baked goods, or any experiences you may have had that are similar to our situation.

Thanks for reading.

I can't speak to egg allergies specifically, but I can tell you that RCI ships have a separate kitchen area for special needs diets. And, that every request is in the computer. So theoretically, even if you have MTD dining, your special request should be able to follow you throughout the dining room.

Of course, with a child with egg allergies, I would choose regular dining and be very clear with the dining staff what your needs are. As you probably know, there are many hidden ingredients in seemingly innocent foods. For instance, there could be eggs in the ravioli pasta dough. Put in your request in advance (you can find the email address on the RCI website) and then introduce yourself to the maitre d' when you board. Bring your cake mixes and a copy of the confirming email.

I haven't been on the Oasis, but its been my experience that RCI is very accomodating to special needs diets.

And of course it goes without saying (I hope) that if the dining room staff goes out of their way to accommodate you, they should be tipped accordingly at the end of the cruise.

It just makes it more pleasant for the next passenger with a special diet.

Thanks.

While I'm not sure if it truly violates their policies or not....

I did bring cookies on the Majetsy last year for our Christmas Cruise. I baked them for everyone in our group and gave them out on the first night. Nobody stopped me...

thanks smileyperry

How did you have them packaged (container)? Were they in your carry-on?

I can't speak to egg allergies specifically, but I can tell you that RCI ships have a separate kitchen area for special needs diets. And, that every request is in the computer. So theoretically, even if you have MTD dining, your special request should be able to follow you throughout the dining room.

Of course, with a child with egg allergies, I would choose regular dining and be very clear with the dining staff what your needs are. As you probably know, there are many hidden ingredients in seemingly innocent foods. For instance, there could be eggs in the ravioli pasta dough. Put in your request in advance (you can find the email address on the RCI website) and then introduce yourself to the maitre d' when you board. Bring your cake mixes and a copy of the confirming email.

I haven't been on the Oasis, but its been my experience that RCI is very accomodating to special needs diets.

This is good information regarding their kitchen. Thanks baggal.

Indeed egg in pasta is a big issue for us. Dried pasta is generally ok (except egg noodles) and pastas like ravioli indeed almost always have egg. As do meatballs and often breading on chicken. Even some ice cream has egg.

And of course it goes without saying (I hope) that if the dining room staff goes out of their way to accommodate you, they should be tipped accordingly at the end of the cruise.

It just makes it more pleasant for the next passenger with a special diet.

Thanks.

Indeed I have thought about your first comment, but didn't think of it with respect to future passenger's experience. Good point...thanks.

I totally agree that they are awesome with food allergies, I am highly allergic to food colorings and some dairy products, especially red 40 which is in a ridiculous amount of things. The largest ship I have been on was enchantment but when I mentioned to the waiter that I love red velvet cake but can't have it I got 'white' velvet cake the next night for desert! The chef came out on majesty and did tell me they have a special allergy area that they prepare food for serious allergies and sanitize between each individually prepared guests' order. I also noticed on all three ships (did sovereign too) that my meal came out on a separate tray from a different area which confirmed this for me. It would not surprise me one bit to find out they could make your daughter's cookies! I haven't had better allergy services anywhere other than Disney! And yes, I do regular mdr dining because one of my favorite things is only having to tell someone once the whole week.

If you put the cookies in a zip-loc bag, and put them in your checked luggage, they won't be stopped. They don't want you taking foods ASHORE, as some things can introduce pests into an enviroment where there are no natural enemies....but there's really no reason why you can't bring cookies onto the ship.

Uh oh. I didn't know it was against the rules to bring anything but pre-packaged foods onboard. I brought several appetizer type foods I had made for a sailaway party we were having in our room not very long ago. No one said a word. I wheeled my cooler right onboard with me. I try not to break the rules. I guess I will know next time!

"Can you believe RCL is willing to actually bake for us?!!"

Yes, I believe, especially that you have such a valid reason: allergy.

We were a group of adults, 4 pairs that met at the table, some of us admired the berries we got on the first night. Since then, the Maitre'D made sure we had a bowl of berries on our table every night, till we had enough and asked to stop :)

Isn't it nice to have that special attention? Knowing somebody got your back is what makes a cruise enjoyable, and RCI is great this way.

I had them in my checked luggage in a tin for each cabin that came with us.

They do an exceptional job of meeting dietary needs. Last year DH and I were on the Liberty of the Seas and there was a large group of Orthodox Jews. The dining rooms staff did an excellent job of preparing the foods to the necessary standards even to the extend of serving them on alternate plates & silverware because they cannot eat on serve ware that non-kosher food has touched.

Make sure to have it noted on the reservation well in advance!

I took a galley tour last week on Serenade and the chef pointed out the area that was strictly used for preparation of allergy free foods and sanitized between each preparation, they also had posters all over the place about foods that were not safe for various allergies. It appeared that they took it very seriously.

They provide such service for those other than special needs diets too. As I have posted here before, it only takes a request from most passengers to get special treatment. I asked for a special dish to be prepared that I'd had years before on Rhapsody, She Crab Soup, and they had it for me the next night and 2 consecutive nights as well...I was the only passenger served this in the MDR. Boy did I feel special....next time, just ask!;)

I find cruise lines in general are awesome when it comes to food allergies. If you think about it, it makes a ton of sense- imagine the liability if a food allergy is known and someone slips up and your child has a reaction at sea? But it's still very nice they offered to bake for your daughter and I would trust them to do a good job with that! I have a chocolate allergy (cocoa bean to be more specific) and I ordered a cheesecake one night not realizing they drizzled it with chocolate. When I got it I gave it to my friend and that's how the waiter found out (it's not severe enough to really mention it and chocolate it pretty easily avoided). BUT, after the waiter found out I was given a special "non-chocolate desert menu" every night! It was awesome because I got to choose things that were available on other nights, but not that specific night. I ate so much key lime pie! :)

They provide such service for those other than special needs diets too. As I have posted here before, it only takes a request from most passengers to get special treatment. I asked for a special dish to be prepared that I'd had years before on Rhapsody, She Crab Soup, and they had it for me the next night and 2 consecutive nights as well...I was the only passenger served this in the MDR. Boy did I feel special....next time, just ask!;)

I can confirm this. On our very first cruise the head waiter noticed that I wasn't eating the desserts and asked about it. I told him my favorite dessert was plain old cherry pie. The next night our table had - guess what - a wonderful cherry pie! Got it on a couple of other cruises, too, although depending on who the pastry chef is (and where they're from) there have been some interesting interpretations. For the past several cruises, I simply have fruit every night for dessert - and last year it was berries every night. I ask once, and they're there every night. We have friends whose shrimp cocktail are waiting on the table when they come in every night, on every cruise they take. And we found we can ask for and get plates of the savory bites and breadsticks. Cruising with my uncle and aunt, he requests a plate of carrot and celery sticks for the table at dinner - ask once, and it's there every night.

We've gotten remarkable treatment (and always recognize it in the tip envelope at the end of the week). I usually try to meet and thank the pastry chef when I've gotten a pie, too.

They definitely will bake for you. Wife has extensive allergies including egg, wheat, and canola. Worked with headwaiter, found out that ship stocked gluten-free mixes but normally didn't prepare unless asked. Asked for 'bread' that wife could eat, kitchen staff presented different versions on a couple of nights until they worked out something that was actually good. Yes, we tipped....... RAE

They definitely will bake for you. Wife has extensive allergies including egg, wheat, and canola. Worked with headwaiter, found out that ship stocked gluten-free mixes but normally didn't prepare unless asked. Asked for 'bread' that wife could eat, kitchen staff presented different versions on a couple of nights until they worked out something that was actually good. Yes, we tipped....... RAE

thanks RAE!

Yes bread can be a bit of a thorn in the side for egg allergies, but nothing like what your wife goes through with wheat. Thanks for telling me your experience.

Archived