Sorry but I need to vent

rayandbelle

It's definitely a 'win-win' situation to me also!

Originally we weren't aware that we could purchase multiple FCDs which cost us a combined $300 in OBC...a very expensive lesson for us! :eek: :o

you can buy as many FCD's as you like but can only use one per person per cruise

you can buy as many FCD's as you like but can only use one per person per cruise

Actually, you can use as many as you want, but only the first one per person will get you any OBC. The others will just be applied to the cost of the cruise.

When flying on an airplane, the chances are that there will be people in the same class of service who paid less than you did. Once you book most airplane tickets, presumably at a price you felt was appropriate, you do not get a chance to benefit from a future price reduction.

Cruising is much the same as when flying. Book when you like the price and don't look back.

What is unusual is that Princess, at least in the USA and Canada, will adjust the pricing if a lower price is available before final payment unless the lower price is only for new bookings.

Our first Princess cruise was 10 years ago this week--over Thanksgiving. It was three and a half months after 9/11, so the volume of passengers was down a great bit. When I found out how much they had discounted cabins six weeks before our cruise, I was mad too. Our TA got Princess to upgrade us--but it wasn't much of an upgrade, going from a BD to a BB. But at least it was something.

Since then, I've booked us many cruises after the final payment date. When I book a cruise before the final payment date, I realize that prices might go down and don't worry as much about it. Fortunately for most of the cruises I've booked before the final payment date, the prices have gone up.

Can't speak for your March cruise but for the one that is sooner - I can't understand why you are upset. It's like going to a department store - seeing a lovely dress I just love in April, buying that dress at the given price and then going back in December and seeing they still have a few of that dress but it's discounted. I wouldn't expect the store to refund the difference. It's one of those things - you never quite know if something you are in love with and have to book "now" will sell out rapidly or still have some inventory left over many months from now. It's commerce. There are also many stories of cruisers who have seen the price of their cabin go up, up, up and they are very thankful they booked it early.

It seems people want a perfect world in terms of pricing when they book cruises. I just don't understand it. Cruislines are, really there are, businesses doing business to make a profit! Yes, I said that word - profit! Just think if they didn't make a profit. Could you imagine the cuts they would make and then the posts that would generate!

Your analogy is wrong. No one is looking for a reduced price after he takes the cruise. If you bought a dress in April you most likely wore it before December. That is not the same as what has happened with the cruise prices. Especially if you are assured in a brochure, as I was, that I was entitled to future price reductions if requested.

The price for my August 2012 Princess Alaska cruisetour dropped $532 today. I called Princess and was told the current price was for new bookings only. If I wanted the reduced price I had to create a new booking and pay a nonrefundable deposit twice the amount I originally paid. I made my reservation on September 4, 2011 with the understanding that I would receive any subsequent price reductions for that sailing. I only had to ask. I chose not to change my reservation today. The advice most often heard regarding cruises is to book early if you want to save. At the moment booking in advance with Princess has cost me more money not less.

We all have the option to cancel, but people have a right to complain when prices drop so drastically in such a short time. I'm happy for those who persisted and received some compensation.

Archived