Thingie added to Oriana's aft

bazzaw

Does anybody (Naval architect??) know the purpose of the "thingie" that has been added to Oriana's aft?? It looks to me like something meant to improve her passage through the water - slightly longer waterline? and probably less drag?? You can see what I mean here http://lmcshipsandthesea.blogspot.com/

I am more curious as to why it would be added now - considering her advanced age.

Barry

The commentator calls it a "duck tail" which is similar to the rear end of the Celebrity ships.It allows better movement through the water cutting down drag.It would have been better to fit power pods instead of having screws.rudder to propel/steer her.

It is for both stability and fuel efficiency. It helps to direct the water flow better, and reduces drag. It also increases the flat surface area at the stern, reducing roll. Think of having an apple floating on some water, and a flat piece of cardboard. It is easier for the apple to roll over, yes? The same applies to ships which have round based sterns, such as Oriana. This probably is also why Aurora has a 'ducktail' like stern.

New SOLAS stability regulations may also have something to do with this, which would explain why Azura has a ducktail yet the other 10 Grand class ships do not.

Thank you all for the input - very interesting stuff. I used the word "advanced" in the sense that she is over 20 years old now? ( probably over 50% mark of her lifetime) - and I was curious therefore of why they would be doing this now. The fact of her current refit adding additional cabins plus the possibility of new SOLAS regs could indeed be the answer. Anyway, I have learned something as well - I didn't realise that Aurora also has one of these ducktails .

Barry

Archived