Star Clipper Transatlantic 2012

Justhavingfun2

• 4 weeks later...
My husband and I will be doing the Star Clipper Transatlantic in November 2012. How diligent is the cruise line concerning bringing your own liquor aboard?

The policy of Starclipper is that outside liquor is not permitted on board. Having said that drinks are not priced exorbitantly so just have a drink with the rest of the guests. They also have well priced house wines that were pretty good but we are not connoisseurs. Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the the TA on the Royal Clipper in October and I had bought a nice bottle of rum and was expecting them to take it and place in bond for me.

They never even looked in my backpack when I brought it onboard.

That being said the drink prices were not all that bad.

If you have any specific questions about the Transatlantic feel free to send me a message.

Thanks very much for the reply! David and I like to have a cocktail before dinner in the privacy of our cabin. It sounds like they don't xray or go through your luggage either.

If you have any suggestions on excursions, I would love to hear them. We are joining the cruise in Malaga, Spain. Thanks again!

Did Star Clipper TA 2010

Drinking is reasonable on board and house wine which was exultant was really a deal.

Tradition on board was around 5:00 PM in the outside covered bar / lounge they had happy hour a bit of entrainment music wise and snacks every one broke up into teams and played trivia the wining team got to make up the questions for the next days trivia game. Everyone seemed to enjoy the magic social hour before preparing for open seating dinner so plenty of time after to bring a drink back to your cabin before eating dinner. This was one of the big but simple happenings every one looked forward to daily. Remember simple, relaxed and commendatory are the keys to Star Clipper sailing style for passengers. The late afternoon migling over happey hour was an important part of the total experience.

Smooth sailing to all,

Hugh / hsb5956

My husband and I will be doing the Star Clipper Transatlantic in November 2012. How diligent is the cruise line concerning bringing your own liquor aboard?

We just confirmed our booking on the Star Clipper...Athens to St. Maarten...Oct. 20th, 2012.

We've done seven SC cruises, including Barbados to Tahiti on the Flyer in '07. There has never been any problem bringing liquor aboard for consumption in your cabin. We've attended many discrete 'before dinner' gatherings in friends cabins. Just don't bring it on deck, to the bars, or to the dinner table. I'm sure they would arrange a "corkage fee" for a 'special bottle' at your table...but drink prices have always been very reasonable, and the wine selection is good.

Besides, the bar has the best atmosphere...and view, at sea!

Can't wait to get back aboard a real boat!

Cheers :cool:

Bob & Beatrice Ring

Well, Bob and Beatrice! It sounds like we will be shipmates for the TA cruise. David and I wanted to do the 35 day, but had to settle for getting on in Malaga! Can't tell you how excited we are.

Thanks for the info on the "discrete" drinks! Any recommendations on excursions?

Looking forward to meeting you!

Ruth

• 7 months later...

Time to bump this thread up, and rally the new "crew" members for all the legs of this voyage!

Welcome Simon (who started a second thread), for the TA portion. :D Looking forward to meeting you at Las Palmas!

We've just returned from a sojourn in Tuscany, and it is time to start our port, and autumn Med weather, research...

Cheers shipmates! Hope you are enjoying your summer...:cool:

B&B

Hi, B&B! Good to hear from you again. Sounds like you have been busy! Us, too! Retired May 18th and haven't stopped yet! 5 weeks in St. Maarten in June/July timeframe. Doing Paris and Barcelona before the cruise! Any suggestions for hotels in Malaga?

Ruth

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, B&B! Good to hear from you again. Sounds like you have been busy! Us, too! Retired May 18th and haven't stopped yet! 5 weeks in St. Maarten in June/July timeframe. Doing Paris and Barcelona before the cruise! Any suggestions for hotels in Malaga?

Ruth

Hi Ruth & David...sorry, no help with Malaga...haven't been there. Strongly suggest TripAdvisor hotel ratings, and the TripAdvisor forums for Spain, Barcelona and Malaga. Also check the Star Flyer Malaga-Barbados thread...folks there have mentioned their Malaga hotel. The Port-of-Call section here on CC has some streetwise info about Barcelona. All three HOHO bus routes are excellent. Paris? Where would I begin...

Cheers,

B&B

Hi B&B

Thanks for your welcome. It sounds like we can have lots of sailing talk (not to mention discussion about grey funnel line vessels with which I am also fairly familiar - your sort and mine!)

Having cruised through the Caribbean Islands & beyond in our sailboat which is now back in UK, we are going to the Caribbean to find another to spend our winters aboard.

• 2 weeks later...

B & B,

We are sure excited about our 2nd TA on Star Clipper lines. Doing the 35 day voyage and welcome any info on ports of call you may share from your previous sailings. Sailed the RC from Barbados to Cannes in 2001 when we resided in FL. Now in TX since retirement and looking forward to connecting with fellow passengers through CC, which I just discovered yesterday.

Jim and BeaAnn

B & B,

We are sure excited about our 2nd TA on Star Clipper lines. Doing the 35 day voyage and welcome any info on ports of call you may share from your previous sailings. Sailed the RC from Barbados to Cannes in 2001 when we resided in FL. Now in TX since retirement and looking forward to connecting with fellow passengers through CC, which I just discovered yesterday.

Jim and BeaAnn

Hi J&B...Welcome!

We are very familiar with Athens (and most of Greece) and St. Maarten, but all the other ports, except Malta, are new to us also. I spent over a week in Malta, in 1966, when I was in the Navy. From what I read, it hasn't changed very much. I do know that we can't do it justice with a one-day stop, so we might take a tour, or just explore the 'Knights of Malta' sites in Valletta.

We are arriving in Athens on the 10th, and will visit Olympia, and spend a few days in the south at Nafplion. Beatrice has been to Monemvasia and Pilos, and says we will all enjoy exploring both.

As I have written in other threads, I suggest that you read all the appropriate back threads on this board, as well as the Ports-of-Call section of Cruise-Critic. Definitely read the 'Forums' for each country, and Port, at TripAdvisor.com

Be sure to check the Star Clipper.com site, and wade back through the Star Clipper Blog. Right away, check out the excellent four-part blog, on

http://maritimematters.com/

about the current Star Flyer trip from Southampton to Lisbon, on its way to Malaga. Except for some minor cosmetic changes to ventilation and 'overboard discharge' made to SF in Tahiti, the Flyer & the Clipper are still almost identical. The Maritime Matters site has great pix of the Flyer's interior and decks, and descriptions of the cuisine, and life aboard.

Always feel free to post lots of questions here, or on the Ports-of-Call threads...there is always someone whe has "been-there-done-that", and will have an answer...or opinion. Star Clippers is too small to appear in the Roll Calls...but that is a great source of information when traveling on bigger ships.

Are you using Star Clippers hotel & transportation? If not, SC usually ties up at Cruise Terminal 'A', in Piraeus. Too long a walk from the Metro, so take a taxi or car service. Here are a few sites that will be helpful while you are in Athens:

http://www.athensguide.com/

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/maps/piraeus-cruise-port-map-large.jpg

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?centerx=23.633738&centery=37.938782&zoom=14

Talk to you soon...Cheers :cool:

B&B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, all documents arrived Saturday, so we are ready to go...we leave for NY, then Greece, on Sunday. Pix will be posted on my Facebook page whenever we have usable iPhone signal. Our blog probably won't be updated till we are back in Florida because we are not bringing a laptop.

Hope to see all the posters (and lurkers ;) ) onboard...

Cheers, :cool:

Bob & Beatrice Ring

I'm taking the Royal Clipper, ans I'm still waiting for my docs ....Did they list what excursions they will be offering in Casablanca and Safi? Aloha, John

Hi John...

Casablanca:

5 hr Tour to Rabat- 40 Euros

4 hr Panoramic Casablanca, and visit to Hassan II Mosque - 30 Euros

"Live the Arabian Nights Legend in Marrakech" Overnight...return to ship in Safi - 300 Euros :eek:

Safi:

11 hr 30 min Day trip to Marrakech - 90 Euros

Aloha! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from a B&B near Olympia, Greece...a few days in Nafplion, for fresh fish & beer...Athens to drop the rental car, then boarding next Saturday. Check my FB page for details, and a photo spread of Star Clipper...

See everyone aboard for the 2200 sailaway past the lit Acropolis...

Cheers, :cool:

Bob Ring (bob & beatrice)

...Pix will be posted on my Facebook page whenever we have usable iPhone signal. Our blog probably won't be updated till we are back in Florida because we are not bringing a laptop.

Hope to see all the posters (and lurkers ;) ) onboard...Cheers, :cool:

Bob & Beatrice Ring

...ended up bringing laptop after all...so first installment of blog entries for this voyage are posted at:

http://ringentdeckungen.blogspot.com/

...probably one more entry from Athens, then blog will be kept current...but uploads will be dependant on Internet access, and whether countries visited are blocking access to Google...:rolleyes:

Currently in Nafplio for a few days...then aboard at Terminal 'A' on Saturday afternoon...

Cheers...:cool:

B&B

Everyone must be already in Transit...but there has been a change of itinerary because of continuing State Department advisories about danger to Westerners in Tunisia...Pantelleria and the two stops in Tunisia have been cancelled...and replaced with Trapani & Porto Empedocle in Sicily, and Palma de Mallorca (which I loved when I was there twice while in the Navy). Yay!

Bob (in Athens) :cool:

Archived