Thumbs down on NCL Kids' Club (Star 4/4/04)

Kayla's Mom

momof1, you probably have it down pretty well. The more port days, the less club time which is what it should be. I may be an old fuddy, duddy or worse but I think kids programs are just perk and families should cruise with the idea they will spend 75% of the time together. This does not mean I think mommy, daddy and kid have to be together all the time or kid shouldn't be with kids the same age. I just don't agree with some who feel kids need to be entertained by the ship crew or some othe group 14/7: make that 24/7. LOL NMNIta

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

I guess everyone has different expectations of a cruise.Some may be looking for quality family time. Others may be looking for someone to take the kids off their hands for a few hours so they can have quality adult time. Whatever you want, I guess is up to you, as long as you get accurate information. If I was hoping for quality adult time and learned later that I had been misinformed about what the kids club could deliver I think I would be pretty upset.

I agree Nita and thanks for the info, but you missed my point; I know what the schedules usually are, I was simply trying to confirm whether this sailing was as different as stated.

For me and mine, the kids crew isn't baby sitting at all (admittedly some may use it that way)-- it's a chance for kids to get entertainment provided at their age level. We adults get the cruise director's games, the spa, the bars, the dancing, the musicians, the shows, the shopping, and so much more.

My kids have wonderful memories from previous NCL cruises from kids crew-- pillow fights, face painting, and even just playing tag with their friends. For months after our last cruise, my daughter would wake up and say she had a wonderful dream about being back on the cruise ship playing with her friends. It may have only been a tiny fraction of the hours on board, but it is among their most memorable.

So, for me and my little ones, I am concerned if there is a continuing pattern of disgruntled employees ruining this part of the experience for the kids on that particular ship.

Future cruisers on the Star please report...

Hi, I did understand I think and I agree. No one wants their kids to experience lousy attitudes from the staff whether it be a cruise staff or a teacher or whatever. I also beleive the complaints, though probably real in some cases are over blown in others. Most of the kids we have come in contact with have loved the kids kamp. I am talking about kids from about 7 to 14. I don't think the older teens get much out of the programs and I haven't had much contact with the really young ones. Just my humble opinion. NMNita

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

We sailed on the Dawn 4/18/04 with our 2 kids (11 & 16). They are both very social and our daughter (the 11 year old) was really looking forward to the kids program since she loved the ones on RCI, Princess, & Carnival.

She was pretty disappointed in the Dawn's program. It doesn't even come close to the other cruises (no kid's talent shows, no scavenger hunts). The hours were limited and consisted mostly of movies.

She ended up making friends on her own and had a wonderful vacation anyway. The other parents that I spoke to were not thrilled with the program, either. Maybe it's better for the younger ones.

On the other cruises, she would've stayed in the kids program 24/7 if she could have! Parents? What parents? LOL!

My son went to the first "meet & greet" and then hung out with his new friends which is the usual for him, so he didn't go to any teen activities.

I know some people don't like to hear anything negative on these boards and I'll probably get flamed for this, but I feel that NCL needs to look to the other cruise lines and overhaul it's kids program.

HappyTravels

Archived