Maya Chan or Tropicante?

canuckcruiselover

Regarding the water color at Maya Chan, there is a “river” that flows from the mangrove just south of the resort that occasionally discharges a red nutrient from the plants, called “Bermejo” locally, making the water red. It is rare but does happen a few times a year and can last for several days. Occasionally it will cause discoloration of the water even as far away as Mayan Chan, making the water green. The chances of that happening while you are there are actually very low. Most days the water is typical Caribbean blue. Probably a much better chance of rain than discolored water.

Incorrect! Heck, even the owner will tell you NOT to expect clear water. It's more than the discharge of which you speak ... there is floating vegetation, as well as growing vegetation.

A T/A friend of mine wrote a review (as have many others) ... most cite the facility for excellent service and good food. Others cite having fun in the water ... (usually on a tube, or merely floating with a drink). I cannot personally recall a single review citing clear blue water ... though I see at least HALF of the reviews cite murky water ... and near the same amount citing a giant social event. If the water was only RARELY *yucky* (similar to a rainy day, as you suggest), then I'd think the vast majority of the pictures would show clear water ... and NO vegetation. Granted, I am not expert on MC ... but given the comments by the owner ... the numerous pictures and reviews ... I would not count on clear blue water. All things aside, it's near impossible to disprove something, especially when it is spoken by the owner, and repeated throughout in reviews and pictures.

Steven

Edited by SDLong329

there are a range of activities (free!) to do -- or not do, if you prefer lying around in hammocks or lounging under a palapa or floating in a chair with a beverage. I don't understand how anyone could not have a wonderful time there -- which is why Maya Chan consistently is rated #1 by all kinds of groups.

We found that there may be other resorts in the area that are less expensive -- but there is a reason for that. For example, Maya Chan uses only top-shelf alcohol in its drinks. My husband drinks straight shots and appreciates that Maya Chan offers only high quality brands.

The main downside of Maya Chan is getting a space reserved. They indeed restrict the number of guests and it you don't reserve early, you can be disappointed.

-Uhhh ... nothing is free in life ... not even in the Caribbean. You pay an advance deposit, plus the balance of the fee when you arrive ... regardless of whether you sit on a chair, play in the sand, dip our toes in the water (etc).

-To suggest people cite MC as #1 MERELY because of the liquor they use is a joke! Think about it ... who cites Carnival as the premier cruise line, because they serve "x" brand alcohol? Who cites "x" restaurant as a fine restaurant, because they serve "x" brand alcohol? Who cites "x" as a premier theme park, because they serve "x" brand alcohol. On the other hand, you do have a point. Those who like to drink, will likely select an all inclusive facility, especially if they plan to drink a lot. Personally, I do not drink much on the ship, or on excursions (I can drink at home). I can see how someone would appreciate a flat rate of "x" versus $6 or $8 per drink on the ship, but that does not equate any facility as being good, better or great. For the short time most ships spend in port ... and after taking the commute into consideration, many people deem 5 - 10 drinks as the break even portion of the cover charge. I'd think most people with a choice ~ would rather stay away from a climate of people who are there to consume 5 - 10 drinks within a short time frame (but again, I can see how it would be a good financial *deal* for those with hefty bar bills on the ships).

- Reservations are not uncommon for facilities which are restricted by the number of guests they are able to serve.

-To suggest people cite MC as #1 MERELY because of the liquor they use is a joke! .

I'm not sure why you seem to be on such a tirade against anyone that says Maya Chan was nice and enjoyable.

Your quote above is not reflective of what the poster said. The poster said they were a bit more EXPENSIVE because they include top shelf liquor.

I think those that have been to Maya Chan would agree-yes the water can be murky, sometimes it's nice and clear, it's not the fault of the owners, and if the water color is a big deal to you, yeah, book at another spot. Nobody is saying you must go there. They are just sharing their knowledge and experience.

Maya Chan is #1 for a lot of reasons- yes, they use top shelf booze, but the main reasons are the friendly people, the great food, the variety of things to do, along with water activities. The waters along the coast of Costa Maya are a natural thing. I have snorkeled there and had a good time- not like the time I snorkeled in the caves off Tortola, because the waters there are different. You really can't compare things like that. By the way, I live very near Lake Erie and the snorkeling here sucks!

I was just checking the web cam at costamayabeachresort.com- on cold days in Ohio I get a little warmer seeing the fun at Maya Chan! They seem to have something new- umbrellas in the water so that while you are floating and sipping an adult beverage you won't get a sunburn!!!! For those who haven't been there lately and need a Maya Chan fix, you can also go to their facebook page (they have a link on the web cam page) and see the pictures posted by their new friends and guests. I have to get back to Costa Maya soon!

• 1 month later...

After doing research online, our party of 2 couples booked the Tropicante with Steve for December 13, 2012 and we LOVED it!! First, his directions were great and got us there with no problems (Steve is right--watch out for those in-port taxi people, they really try HARD to keep you in there and not walk outside the gate). Once we got there, we were welcomed and taken right to our reserved loungers (as people have mentioned, email him prior to leaving to get this set up). We were treated like kings and queens by the staff there….moving umbrellas to shade us, take our orders, reserving our $25 massages and more! Besides all of that, the water was beautiful, the food was well-priced and delicious and it was just a relaxing and amazing day. The reason we chose Tropicante was because of the positive reviews and the cost (we don’t drink much so seemed silly to spend a lot for an AI). But the BEST reason was because of the free wifi (got to post a pic to facebook) and free US calls (we each called home to talk to our 2 young boys!). Our only regret was not getting to spend more time at this place (our ship was in port 7am-2pm). Go there and you won’t be disappointed :)

We have reserved Tropicante for our trip in Feb. How did you post your picture to FB? Did Steve let you put your camera memory card in his computer?

I should have elaborated, I am sorry ;) To post a pic to facebook, my husband took his ipad/iphone (or some portable device). We took a pic with that and then just posted it to fb. Steve gave us his wifi code (or number) to have internet access while we were there to be able to do that.

To make a call to the US, we just borrowed Steve's cell phone. You just go up to the bar area and ask to use it. It wasn't very busy that day (only 2 ships in port), so I was able to have a nice conversation with my boys back home!

Hope that helps! Have fun :)

Have just reserved my 3rd stay at the Tropicante. Steve, the owner, makes an effort to meet everyone. For us we are not big drinkers or eaters so an all- inclusive like Maya Chan would be a waste of money.

Also kinda like being around other cruisers and to people watch. You can get 60 min massages for $25.

Thanks for starting this thread and all the information everyone has provided, we have twelve chairs reserved with Steve in a few weeks. I'm so excited to sit, relax and have a few beverages - the only bummer is how little time we have

I just wanted to let everyone know, if you are looking for yet another option, there is a new place (opened this year in January or February) and the place is gorgeous. It's called Almaplena.

I just finished a complete review of our visit there a week ago with every little detail and complete with tons of pictures. This place is getting great reviews so far, but just not many people know about it yet. They only take 20 people per day here, so plenty of room to relax and they beach is just gorgeous.

You will find my complete review in my NCL Star review, the part about Almaplena starts at post 190.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=5

We just got off the NCL Star Saturday Dec 30. We went to Maya Chan for our third time and it was just a good as ever. The beach is wonderful. The food and drink was great. They always seem to go out of their way to make you happy. We have another cruise booked during this Mardi Gras.

When we dock in Costa Maya, we are going straight to Maya Chan.

Nieuw Amsterdam, Fri Feb15. The owner responded nicely to my email looking for reservations for 4 people that day. He does not open when that ship is in port as few people elect to visit Maya Chan. If you are on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam and want to go to the Maya Chan all inclusive beach day, please look at all of the positive reviews and contact the owner. He will open if 15 more people contact him. Perhaps other ships are in Costa Maya that day, also???

The Tropicante is not a resort. It's just a hole in the wall "restaurant" that serves delicious cheap food across the "street" from a beautiful beach. It's a low cost, perfect beach day/location....the entertainers from the Epic go there when in port...our cruise director got a massage on the beach...their bar bill had to be pretty high...

• 4 weeks later...

We just booked Maya Chan. This will be our 5th trip to Costa Maya and our 1st time to Maya Chan. Most all of the reviews have been very positive and it is owned by frequent cruisers who were originally from San Diego. Looking forward to it!!:o

We just booked Maya Chan. This will be our 5th trip to Costa Maya and our 1st time to Maya Chan. Most all of the reviews have been very positive and it is owned by frequent cruisers who were originally from San Diego. Looking forward to it!!:o

You won't be disappointed... Maya Chan is excellent- we are counting the days to our second visit there next month.

Say Hi to Mark, Jane, ans David for me. And Preston, my hero. Preston led the kayaking out to the snorkeling reef- a lady had trouble getting back onto her kayak- I yelled for Preston and he swam over so quickly and got her up into her kayak slicker than snot on a door knob. I love Maya Chan and all the great people there- Can't wait to return.

Tropicante is ok, but certainly not a resort. It's a small beach with chairs etc and can be very crowded. It's in a section with lots of other beach areas. It was too crowded and small for my taste. The bathroom, while clean, was third world. It's ok, but not great.

Actually, it is a LARGE, public beach ... though Tropicante has limited frontage. No matter where you go, you either have a small beach, mid-size beach, or a large beach. Saying it's a small beach near other beaches seems awkward ... about the same as saying it's a large beach (which, it is).

With reference to the bathrooms ... you are indeed in a third world ... that area has specific restrictions on development. The bathrooms were not what I am used to on a cruise ship, but they are better than what I have seen at various public beaches in the Caribbean.

That aside, perhaps the biggest difference is that the beach at Tropicante is CLEAN. The pictures used by Maya Chan clearly are not as clear as Tropicante.

Steven

So are there any places in Mahahual that have a pool? Just curious. I love the ocean but sometimes am more comfortable in a pool.

The Senior Frogs in Mahahul has a pool with a swim up bar.

We paid 20.00 a person for unlimited drinks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Actually, it is a LARGE, public beach ... though Tropicante has limited frontage. No matter where you go, you either have a small beach, mid-size beach, or a large beach. Saying it's a small beach near other beaches seems awkward ... about the same as saying it's a large beach (which, it is).

With reference to the bathrooms ... you are indeed in a third world ... that area has specific restrictions on development. The bathrooms were not what I am used to on a cruise ship, but they are better than what I have seen at various public beaches in the Caribbean.

That aside, perhaps the biggest difference is that the beach at Tropicante is CLEAN. The pictures used by Maya Chan clearly are not as clear as Tropicante.

Steven

Let me help you. The SMALL area of the public beach that Tropicante has roped off is small. Other restaurants/businesses also have their area roped off all around on the beach. To stay within the roped area of Tropicante can be crowded with lots of people there. Just as nice and easy to sit in just about any other area of the 'public' beach.

The restrooms should be described accurately. I have seen many people describe them as clean and nice. That may be true, if you are looking at them through a third world lens.

• 11 months later...
Tropicante is ok, but certainly not a resort. It's a small beach with chairs etc and can be very crowded. It's in a section with lots of other beach areas. It was too crowded and small for my taste. The bathroom, while clean, was third world. It's ok, but not great.

Nit-picking about 'clean but third world-like bathrooms,' yeah that is why the world hates us Americans. SMH.