Prepurchasing onboard credit

can786

Is there any limit on the amount of onboard credit you can prepurchase for your cruise? We will be on the Sea Princess in February and since the onboard currency will be in AUD, I thought it might save a bit on the conversion charged by my credit card if I prepurchase onboard credit in USD.

I doubt there is a limit. However, verify the exchange rates before making the purchase. Princess does not usually have very good exchange rates.

Good point. I hadn't taken into account the Princess exchange rate. I'll probably be better off with my credit card conversion rate.

I am from the UK and have a prepaid $US card through a UK company. I loaded the card when the rate for Sterling-$US was good for me and then telephoned Princess and bought on board credit, $900 I think. So I choose when to initially buy $ and because when I bought the OBC I was using $US so no conversion rates apply. I am not sure if any US company has a similar card where by you could buy $AUS but it is worth a look, alternatively could you buy $AUS in cash in the US and pay your account off that way?

Archived