Seabourn Odyssey Seabourn Odyssey Rome to Fort Lauderdale - Nov. - Dec., 2011

mariners

I've visited Madeira on a Sunday and there's lots to do ~plus you will find the beautiful flowers in Old Town to buy ~take back to the ship. Some outside cafes, tourist shops, etc. are open ~ plenty of Taxi's for private tours of the gorgeous Island. Of course, Reid's Palace Hotel, for cocktails or Tea Time, is always special.

I do love Funchal ~have planned a fun 10 day trip just to Madeira for next year! Will stay at the beautiful Dias Hotel ~Old Town.

Happy Trails & Sails

Martita B

>>>"Have they had a "meet and greet" for Cruise Critic Members? I know on larger ships if 30 CC members are going to be aboard they have a few special events just for us. I don't imagine that we'll have the minimum required, but was wondering if we could get something put in the daily newsletter and just have our get together. I'd love to say hello to all on this thread and to those who have contributed to the Malaga to Fort Lauderdale thread.Anyone interested? Maybe the sea day between Malaga and Funchal?"

Seabourn doesn't work that way. However, it's quite easy to arrange a 'Grip and Grin'. You just decide on a day and time and location and post it here in your Roll Call. Then whoever wants to can show up. Seabourn doesn't sponsor these events and there is likely to be a much smaller contingent. But it works. You can just see who shows up.

That's how I do it.

Last night's entertainment was "Rock the Boat" and it was a smashing success. I have seen very few people dancing on this segment but, last night, the floor was jam packed and some people were dancing over by their seats. It was a fabulous evening.

Today is a wonderful day at sea, however, the sea is so calm it has barely a ripple and I'm hoping for a bit more of an ocean experience once we are on the crossing. We had a fresh market lunch in the Colonnade today made with ingredients picked up yesterday in Palma de Mallorca. There were even whole grilled fish. Wonderful!

The crew continue to excel. Some of them are leaving us in Malaga and the trans-Atlantic passengers will be boarding with new crew members. We shall be on our excursion but I look forward to meeting everyone boarding at the sail away or in the coming days at sea.

We are docking in Malaga and the thrusters continue to move us to the wharf. Dinner last night was at the pool grill under an almost full moon. Service and food, the lamb chops, were excellent. For those who are interested in the crossing, I will try and post about the events of the day. Hopefully, others will chime in as well.

We have a new captain for the crossing, Captain Mark Dexter. Many new crew members came onboard yesterday, too. Unlike the last cruise, there is an Odyssey Gala Reception tonight and we will likely attend. Today's program includes: beginners bridge, port lecture on Funchal, intermediate bridge, shuffleboard, enrichment lecture on "Irving Berlin", trivia, duplicate and social bridge, enrichment lecture on the natural wonders of Spain, ballroom dancing - the waltz, golf putting, tea, friends of Bill W., and Showtime: Limelight.

The full moon during the night was lovely and we had a very slight sea to help us sleep. Now, there is a beautiful sunrise and, hopefully, the few clouds will clear away. What a wonderful start to a day.

Thank you for sharing your voyage with us!

Ask Captain Dexter if he plans on having his TA event deck "frog races!" These races are so much fun! He had his deck boy's (on the Pride) make the green frogs.....then taught us how to race 'em!:D

Have a continued wonderful, safe Crossing ~smooth seas and sunshine.

Martita B.

OrpingtonT, I followed your thread and loved reading the postings.

Martita B., I will make a point of asking Captain Dexter. From observing him at last night's reception, he appears to be a people person.

I've come to the conclusion that the nights where there are many hosted tables in the dining room, whether I am invited to them or not, are nights where I will choose not to go to the dining room. It appears that everyone is stressed and the atmosphere is quite frantic. As that has been my experience on all of the cruise lines I have sailed, I now know that I will book other venues or order room service on those nights.

This afternoon, we will be arriving in Funchal. We will likely follow Martita B.'s suggestion. Thank you, Martita B. Hopefully, we will run in to other CC posters. I also hope that they will start/continue posting their impressions.

Today's schedule: beginners bridge, inter-denominational church service, ballroom dance, coffee chat, ping pong, enrichment lecture - "The Life and Art of Francesco Goya", shuttle bus to downtown, informal bridge, deck sports, afternoon tea, caviar sailaway, enrichment lecture - "Gene Kelly", Showtime: Tara Whittaker.

Now, it's time for me to go and sit on the balcony, listen to the waves, and watch the sunrise. Perfect!

I so enjoiy reading of your Odyssey TA Crossing ~thank you!

I am up ~couldn't sleep so decided to view the Funchal harbor/cruise ships webcams. Am waiting for your arrival at 8 am!

This webcam site has many interesting viewing cameras ~ the best I've found.

As to a Sunday stroll ~I would hop on the Seabourn shuttle, then simply walk to the Old Market. Do not know if the outside "Cantina," Cica's is open today, but you will be able to buy fresh exotic flowers to take back to the ship ~makes our suite, homey!

Plus, comforting for those many sea days coming up ~if you would like to give a few flowers to friends or Staff, just ask your Stewardess for a few exta vases ~the Assn. Housekeeper is the florist and she has plenty in her cupboard. She also has flower snippers. I buy the red Birds of Paradise (with greenery) as they will last a month!

As to Captain Dexter ~he is a hoot! Soooo personable ~you will enjoy visiting with him! On the Odyssey Maiden TA Crossing I presented him with a "Texas Land Deed!" Yes, I gave him land! Ohhh it wasn't much......1 square inch!! I told him he could acquire a herd of fleas or ants ~~but drilling for oil might be a problem!:confused: We called him "The Texas Land Baron!" What fun we do have ~~ask him about his Texas Ranch the "Cowgirl, Miss Martha B." so generously gave him.......:D

Have a great day and evening ~and a continued safe, smooth seas, sunny Crossing.

Martita B

Martita B., unfortunately, we will not be arriving at the dock until 1 p.m. If you are still awake at that time, hopefully, you can see our arrival. It's a spectacular day out and the forecast is for sunshine for our arrival. Thank you for the floral suggestionof the Birds of Paradise.

I will make sure to ask Captain Dexter about his ranch.

Odyssey Mariner

Yes, I will certainly watch you sail into Funchal! I think you might be the only ship in Madeira today ~except the ferry boat.

You'll have plenty of time to have a Sunday stroll ~do you know if the Ex Chef is having a "Shopping with the Chef" excursion today? Usually he does plan one in Funchal ~he buys fresh fish, veggies, cheeses, etc. for the Crossing. Lots of fun! Ask him this morning ~

A suggestion ~invite Captain Dexter for luncheon one day ~send him a note. Either in the dining room or Colonade. He would certainly enjoy joining you ~then you can pop the question......."Captain, how is your Texas ranch doing? Miss Martha wants to know....!":D He will burst out laughing! (Mark is a people's person)

Have a fun day! I'll be watching the Odyssey sail in....

MB

mariners, I've finally come to your party... cruise party, that is. Sounds like you all are having a blast on your first Seabourn cruise. Hoping you, J, C & J are having loads of fun and toasting Crystal and me!! How was your day at the Alhambra? I thoroughly loved it and went back again. It's a long trek, but well worth the drive. Give my love to all!!!

Madeira is a beautiful island and Funchal is one of its highlights. Although almost everything was closed (probably as a combination of it being a Sunday and the Seabourn Odyssey being the only ship in port), our time ashore was too short. In the squares, there were outdoor performances by dancers in traditional dress and a bandstand with musicians. A Christmas village was set up which included stalls selling different crafts and food. In the centre, there was a large, miniature nativity scene which included a surrounding village. Christmas huts also lined the street and elves were having their photographs taken with children and the young at heart. A few pencil thin Santa Clauses stood holding Mylar balloons that ranged from cartoon characters to reindeer. Once past the Christmas village, along the centre of the boulevard, there was a life size nativity scene, camels and the wise men, as well as a poinsettia display. The botanical park had a full size Christmas train as well as a life size Santa, sleigh and reindeer. The streets were filled with interesting architecture, narrow alleyways were filled with undiscovered treasures, and the cobblestone streets ensured that we slowed down enough to enjoy the surroundings. Some outdoor cafes were open and were perfect places to stop for a drink and for people watching. As we strolled along the waterfront, artisans displayed their work and a “singer” sang kareoke through a microphone. The dark clouds stayed away; we could not have asked for a better day.

After we got back to the ship, there was a caviar sailaway. As we had arrived in Funchal just after lunch, we didn’t know that the sail out after dark was going to be even more spectacular than arriving in daylight. Funchal waterfront, as well as some of the roads leading up in to the mountains, were a Christmas wonderland. Colourful decorations and Christmas lights were everywhere. The exterior of the wharf had lights that spelled out holiday greetings in many different languages. It was an amazing sight and my words cannot do it justice. The band played, drinks and caviar were served, and we were mesmerized by our surroundings. After the party, we went up to the Observation Bar so that we could continue to watch Madeira fade away in the distance.

Now, for an update on the ship. We had quite a crew turnover in Malaga and nowhere has this been more apparent than in the dining room. Familiar faces have changed to crew who will become familiar before we dock in Fort Lauderdale. Some of them need a bit more time to adjust and are unsure of the policies/procedures onboard but they will learn. Supervision is constant and the staff are helping them work together as a team.

Yesterday, before we left for Funchal, we had a fabulous seafood lunch in the Colonnade. I have missed our regular seafood meals that we typically eat at Prime 7 on Regent and, although the lunch did not have the same dishes, it provided a good variety of seafood.

Most dinners onboard have been excellent. I do not know where Seabourn gets its beef but it is the best beef that we have had on any cruise line. Tonight’s options from The Restaurant include Pan Fried Fresh Espada Fillet (from the local market in Madeira) with Lemon Beurre Blanc; seared scallops; grilled beef tenderloin; Asian spiced duck breast; Vegetarian - Swiss Chard & Salsify Gratin; as well as the always available menu. The Colonnade is offering an Italian Dinner and the Patio Grill has Surf and Turf tonight. Our evening entertainment is Rustem Hayroudinoff, a classical pianist. Lectures today include: Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber by Dr. Herb Keyser; The Life and Art of Salvador Dali by Dr. Adrian Cooper; and The Fighting Temeraire by Sam Willis.

We have some swell to the sea because of the storms hitting Ireland/Scotland. It is that wonderful rolling motion that keeps me in a constant state of relaxation. If I close my eyes, I am off in dream mode. Hopefully, others feel the same way; I have not heard that any people are seasick.

We had a brief shower this morning, the only shower on this part of the ocean according to the captain. How lucky we were! We had the most magnificent rainbow. It encircled the ship so both port and starboard passengers could see it (if they were awake). The colours actually shimmered in the water and created an illusion that the rainbow was lit from underneath. Breathtaking!

Now, I have the small puffy clouds that look as if they have been painted on the light blue sky. The darker blue hues of the ocean are broken by small whitecaps. The sound of the waves can be heard through the closed veranda door. The perfect time for an afternoon nap so that I have energy to stay up later tonight. This will be the second night in a row where we have an extra hour of sleep. Pure bliss!

Beth, if you've read this far, we wish you (and Crystal) were here with us. The pool deck is open in the evening and there's something special about dining under the stars. I'll send you an e-mail.

Martita B. I almost met the Captain today but he appeared very busy. I'll search him out tomorrow if I haven't bumped in to him before then so that I can give him your message.

wripro

I agree ~Captain Dexter is one of the best Master's I've sailed with. ~we miss him, however, on the 'Lit Sister's ~

MB

Martita B.,

Looking forward to meet him on the Canal Crossing. I been following his Tweets from the Odyssey. He seem very have a great outgoing personality. Have to ask him about his TX ranch <g>.

Randy

WilloGuy

Oh yes, do ask Captain Dexter....ohhh, I meant to write, "Captain Land Baron Dexter" about his Texas spread !! He will grin from ear-to-ear ~probably even burst out laughing. I hosted a "Texas Odyssey Cowpoke's" cocktail party in the Observation Lounge on the Odyssey Maiden TA Crossing ~we had about 70 guests, who dressed for the "rodeo casual" evening ~I presented Capt. Mark with his official Texas Land Deed, complete in it's black leather certificate folder. Of course, he was totally surprised ~but very pleased ~his acceptance speech was hilarious and a verbal masterpiece! (he's extremely talented as to"off the cuff.") The evening was so much fun ~Stig, the Staff Captain accepted his large, brown blown-up horse (named Git-a-long) and immediately had a waiter take it up to the Bridge.....he didn't want to take a chance that the Captain would want it! We all made lasting Seabourn memories!

mariners

Yes, please introduce yourself to your fine Master ~you will certainly enjoy visiting and knowing him ~ and he'll be delighted to know YOU!

Happy times, a smooth sailing ~with blue skies above~and rainbows!:p

Martita B

We have some swell to the sea because of the storms hitting Ireland/Scotland. It is that wonderful rolling motion that keeps me in a constant state of relaxation. If I close my eyes, I am off in dream mode.

We had a brief shower this morning, the only shower on this part of the ocean according to the captain. How lucky we were! We had the most magnificent rainbow. It encircled the ship so both port and starboard passengers could see it (if they were awake). The colours actually shimmered in the water and created an illusion that the rainbow was lit from underneath. Breathtaking!

Now, I have the small puffy clouds that look as if they have been painted on the light blue sky. The darker blue hues of the ocean are broken by small whitecaps. The sound of the waves can be heard through the closed veranda door. The perfect time for an afternoon nap so that I have energy to stay up later tonight. This will be the second night in a row where we have an extra hour of sleep. Pure bliss!

"It was a dark and stormy night......" ;)

NEOPHYTUS, but the rain did not fall in torrents and I am not in London. :D

It was another fabulous evening onboard the Odyssey. Dinner under the stars at the Pool Grill was perfect. The menu was Surf and Turf but, as usual, there is also pasta and pizza for those who would prefer something different. Service was excellent and the steak/Nigerian shrimp were delicious.

Today, the sea swells are less but we still know that we are at sea. The sky is blue and we have a few cirrus clouds overhead. It looks like the start of another lovely day.

The daily program includes: beginners bridge, intermediate bridge, ping pong, cooking demonstration by Chef Niels Rathert, trivia, duplicate and social bridge, enrichment lecture - Frank Sinatra, ballroom dance - Rumba, Officers V Guests shuffleboard, tea, enrichment lecture - "How Do Oceans Work", and Showtime with Glen Hirsch a comedian.

Although I wish there was a true walking/jogging track onboard, I appreciate that Seabourn has cool towels, ice water, bottled water, and sparkling water set out for the early risers who like to walk/jog deck 8. The joggers and fast walkers I have seen have all been considerate and pass at the corners where there is more room to pass. (The deck chair sharp corners preclude people passing anywhere else unless they want to try hurdles on a ship.)

We have been told that the satellite signal will be intermittent so I am not sure when or if I will be able to update. I have no doubt, however, that I will be having another wonderful day at sea.

Archived