Oriana dancing ? can anyone help please ?

Teresa Sims

Hi we are just about to book a 30 night cruise on Oriana,we are social dancers,and wonder if anyone Knows what the dancing is like onboard,we were warned off Queen Mary 2 as we were told there were too many dancers to be able to enjoy it,would really appreciate any help cheers

Hi we are just about to book a 30 night cruise on Oriana,we are social dancers,and wonder if anyone Knows what the dancing is like onboard,we were warned off Queen Mary 2 as we were told there were too many dancers to be able to enjoy it,would really appreciate any help cheers

In past years Oriana has had probably the best dance facilities for social dancing in the entire P & O fleet. Very often the dance group 'Natural High' are onboard to supply most of the dance music. They are the best dance band at sea. They play ballroom, latin and some sequence and always play the correct tempos. It appears that they have had some contract re-negotiations with P & O so I'm not sure what the position is at the moment. However, we have danced to several other bands and trios on Oriana and they have all been okay.

As regards QM2; we have danced in the Queen's Ballroom but the dance-band left a lot to be desired, playing mostly 'swing' style music and with little idea of the correct UK tempos for each dance.

We will be aboard Oriana in January for the voyage to the Far East.

Many thanks for your quick response,I wonder if they have dance leaders ? and can I pick your brains if you do not mind for other ships which are good for social dancing.We went on a dancing cruise in the carribean with Warren Bullock,but were decicedly unimpressed,lessons were packed,and there was no dancing provided in the evening.thanks again

Many thanks for your quick response,I wonder if they have dance leaders ? and can I pick your brains if you do not mind for other ships which are good for social dancing.We went on a dancing cruise in the carribean with Warren Bullock,but were decicedly unimpressed,lessons were packed,and there was no dancing provided in the evening.thanks again

Yes, every time we have sailed on Oriana there has always been a couple of professional dance teachers on board. Some of the couples have been very good indeed, especially on the last World Cruise. They play host on all of the special 'theme nights' and give group (or sometimes private) lessons in the daytime. Obviously they only teach the basics in the group lessons.

We are very familiar with Warren Bullock but we would never go on a cruise involving large dance groups or similar. Ship's floors are simply not big enough to support maybe 40 dance enthusiasts plus the passengers as well. As you know, Queen Mary 2 claims the largest dance-floor at sea but by shoreside standards it's nothing to shout about. Aurora has a decent size circular floor and has similar UK style dance-music. By and large the bands on American ships have insufficient knowledge of the UK and international dances and correct tempos so it's always a bit of a gamble for British dancers. And, of course, there's no UK sequence dances on those vessels. If you trawl your way through all the other sites on Cruise Critic you may pick up some dancing tips from passengers on those lines.

Last year I was on a World Cruise on Oriana and attended the dance lessons every day when at sea. We had two separate sets of dance instructors. One couple from Southampton to Singapore and the second from Singapore to Southampton. Both couples were brilliant instructors with a good sense of humour. There was ballroom and latin american dancing. Morning was spent learning the steps in Harlequins, while in the afternoon it was revision with additional steps. The instructors both husband and wife danced with the guests who were having difficulty with the steps, or with those guests who had come dancing on their own and did not manage to get a partner.

In addition to that there was line dancing each day at sea, and there were quite a few men who also took part.

I did not go dancing in the evening as I was on my own, although the instructors were there and were available to dance with, as well as some of the entertainment staff.

I absolutely loved the dance lessons and I am sure you will too.:)

Regards

Jo

Thank you we have booked on the Singapore to Sydney leg, really looking forward to it:) Will have to start practicing not to fall over each other.

Will look out for you on the Singapore - Viet Nam - Hong Kong section. We'll be boarding at Southampton so will have plenty of time to practice!

We are on the last leg from San Francisco in March. We chose the Oriana as our dance teachers (Bob & Virginia Verrico) have also taught on several cruise ships over the last few years and they recommended the Oriana to us. Sailed on Oceana a couple of years ago and although not a spacious dance area - lessons and dancing in the evenings were very enjoyable and helped keep the pounds at bay lol

Oriana would have the best dance floor I have seen on P&O and the only one just as big I recently saw on Radiance of the Seas.

Its called Harlequins.

Click on the links below to see my photos of it:

Dance floor: http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/314474_10150324232519037_519959036_8151303_320442090_n.jpg

wider angle: http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/300332_10150324248509037_519959036_8151425_1240498859_n.jpg

and sometimes the Pacific Lounge is used : http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/316253_10150324234454037_519959036_8151331_1541584560_n.jpg

Hi Slow Foxtrot

This is the husband of Teresa. Thank you so much for responding so positively to my wife's questions!! As a result my wallet feels significantly lighter :confused:. Looking forward to meeting you on the Singapore - Hong Kong leg.

Kind regards

Geoff

Archived