***Live from the Legend Athens-Mumbai***

Seabourntraveller

Day 6: At Sea en Route to Aqabah, Jordan

Good Morning from the "Floating Castle" the Legend. We are almost around the tip of the Sinai near Sharem el Sheik as we make our way into the Gulf of Aqabah. Waves are a little higher today then ever but nothing serious. Got a note to our Suite last night informing us that due to low participation the $75.00 Wine Tasting has been cancelled...I guess not enough people had signed up there was a minimum of 10 people to a maximum of 14 people.

Just about to head out to the Verandah Cafe for breakfast now....need a long black or two!

The weather today is sunny and currently 68F and a little windy.

More to come later today from the moving "Floating Castle" the Legend!

Seabourn Traveller. If you get a chance would you send me any information for an independent tour that includes St Catherines. I have been told not to miss it. You can contact me at jagi6033@gmail.com. Thank you very much.

Tony and Trevor. We have the same excursions in mind. You know what they say about "great minds etc." lol

Jagi, I will send you a description of our tour and tour operator and his pricing later.

Seabourn Traveller. If you get a chance would you send me any information for an independent tour that includes St Catherines. I have been told not to miss it. You can contact me at jagi6033@gmail.com. Thank you very much.

Tony and Trevor. We have the same excursions in mind. You know what they say about "great minds etc." lol

Here are some independant tour options that include St-Catherine's Monastry:

Sinai Grand Safari:

Starts and ends: from 7:00 am to 6:00 PM

Package rate: 150 USD

Pick up from Sharm-el-Sheikh in the morning. Drive for approx 2 hours through Sinai desert to the monastery of St.

Catherine. The views there are amazing. The monastery is situated 1571 m above sea level; we will visit the church of St.

Catherine, the Icon gallery, the Charnel house, the burning bush, Moses well, the Library of the monastery, then we will have

Some fun and adventures, to discover the extraordinary colors and shapes of the rocks which were formatted by nature. We

Will move from the monastery to the north via normal road then for 40 minutes along the track, sands and mountains until we

Reach the colored canyon, from the mouth of the canyon we will get down on 250 meter depth, and then walk for one and half

Hour in the canyon between the rocks, you will enjoy the nature, the rocks and the different colors, you will see amazing

Paintings which are painted by the erosion of the wind and water. After our adventure we will go to Nuweiba city to have

Lunch at the local restaurant which is situated on the beach of the Gulf of Aqaba. There you can also swim or snorkel for a

While. We'll end our trip with a free tour in Dahab city before we will go back to Sharm-el-Sheikh.

Inclusions:

ü All transfers by A/C Jeep.

ü Entrance fees.

ü Qualified tour guide.

ü Lunch in Nuwiba.

ü Soft drink in the jeep.

Exclusions:

Drinks in the restaurant

We recommend you to bring:

i_safe.gif Passport

i_safe.gif A breakfast box

i_safe.gif Sport shoes

i_safe.gif Sun glasses & Hat

i_safe.gif Sun cream

St.Catherine monastery & Dahab shopping:

Starts and ends:from 7.00 to 2.00 PM

Package rate: 150 USD

Pick up from your hotel in Sharm-el-Sheikh in the morning and drive towards St. Catherine city (225 km from

Sharm), during the drive you will enjoy with Sinai desert landscape, different altitudes of the granite mountains, the views

There are amazing. arrive to the monastery which is situated 1571 m above sea level and dates back to Roman times 542 A.D.

We will visit the church of St. Catherine which considered one of the most famous churches all over the world, There is a

Magnificent mosaic depicting the transfiguration of Jesus in the apse inside the church. It is the earliest and one the most

Beautiful mosaics of the Eastern Church and has remained in its entirety to our days. In artistic style it is similar to the Italian

School of this period, especially the mosaics in the church of S. Vitalius, as well as in the Higia Sofia in Constantinople, The

Library which is considered the second in importance only to the Vatican, in both number and value of the manuscripts it

Contains 3000 items. The Charnel house is a repository of the bones of the monks who died at St. Catherine over the centuries.

The dead are first buried in a small cemetery, and then disinterred and their bones deposited in the charnel house. The

burning bush which flourishes several yards farther from the chapel where it was transplanted in order to build the holy Alter

upon its roots. It is the only bush of its kind growing in the entire Sinai Peninsula. Moses well, the Icon gallery of the monastery

you will visit as well, Then have lunch in a local restaurant in St. Catherine city. After lunch we will drive back to Dahab city

Where we will end our program with a free tour in Dahab city and its bazaars. At the end of the tour we will drive back to

Sharm el Sheikh, the desert landscape & forms of mountains on the way to Sharm el Sheikh are amazing and deserve to be

Seen.

Inclusions:

ü All transfers by A/C Van.

ü Entrance fees.

ü English speaking guide.

ü Lunch in St. Catherine.

Exclusions:

Drinks in the restaurant.

We recommend you to have:

Passport

A breakfast box

Sun glasses & Hat

Sun cream.

As the Legend makes her way up the Gulf of Jordan enroute for Aqabah, we had lunch outside in then Verandah Cafe. I ordered the Grilled Monk Fish with Steamed Rice and an Asiatique Teryaki sauce which was grilled to perfection. They also had a variety of cold salads, cheeses, meats, etc....what a spread!

They also were serving Lunch today in the Sky Grill with those MAMOUTH BURGERS...mouth watering just looking at people eating them I must admit.

We have currently a Seabourn Crew Tug of War out on Deck 8 which was quite entertaining under sunny skies this afternoon and light winds and a high currently of 74C or 23C.

More to follow later today on our "Floating Castle" the Legend!

Thank you for all the updates!

Did the Deck Boy's win Tug-of-War? They are so strong.....sometimes the "Atlas" restaurant/bar team wins!

What a fun event ~I love to see the 'lit "Chicken Housekeepers" tug.......they are always dressed so adorable!:p

One day luncheon in the dining room and order fresh sizzling onion rings from the fry Chef ~order a platter ~then offer butter plates of the delicious fried onions to your neighbor tables! They'll love you for sharing.:D

Have a continued magical floating Legend Castle voyage,

Martita B

Main Restaurant Dinner Menu "Chef's Gala Dinner"

Tasting Menu

Frsh Tuna Carpaccio, warm ratatouille, basil & tarragon

Greek Goat's Cheese Veloute, confit tomato

Green Peas Tortelloni, oxtail ragout

Peach Sorbet, champagne

Soft Shell Crab & Fresh Branzino, asparagus risotto, vegetable "couscous" and crab-butter

Tapenade Crusted Beef Filet Mignon, forked new potatoes & thyme jus

Raspberry Souffle, milk chocolate brownie & virgin olive oil sorbet

Petits Fours

Restaurant 2 theme "Tasting"

Losbter Roll, Yogurt Caviar Sauce

Bacalaito Fritter, Avocado & Tomato Salad

Seared Panela Salmon, White Bean Salsa, Piquillo Coulis

Shiraz Braised Oxtail Presse, Manchego Potstickers

White Asparagus Vanilla Cappuccino, Mushroom Toast

Drunken Turbot, Porcini & Swiss Chard, Halzenut Vinaigrette

Tuscany Braised Veal, Mascarpone Mashed Potato

Dark Chocolate Ganache, Espresso Citrus Panna Cotta,

Condensed Milk Ice Cream

Thank you for all the updates!

Did the Deck Boy's win Tug-of-War? They are so strong.....sometimes the "Atlas" restaurant/bar team wins!

What a fun event ~I love to see the 'lit "Chicken Housekeepers" tug.......they are always dressed so adorable!:p

One day luncheon in the dining room and order fresh sizzling onion rings from the fry Chef ~order a platter ~then offer butter plates of the delicious fried onions to your neighbor tables! They'll love you for sharing.:D

Have a continued magical floating Legend Castle voyage,

Martita B

Martita B. The Restaurant and Bar staff were ahead until some guests onboard decided to help the Engine Room Staff and started tugging on the rope to help them win....never seen passengers jump in like that before!!!!

Note to self try Onions Rings in Restaurant and PERHAPS share with other table mates...LOL

Really enjoying your daily posts, Seabourntraveller! We were on the Spirit in September/October and Adam Green was with us. We dined on his table one night - what a lovely, very talented young man! If you have a 'Rock the Boat Show' ask him if he's playing his harmonica - it was amazing! He's a superb musician for one so young!

Enjoy the Legend - we love her!

Margaret

Really enjoying your daily posts, Seabourntraveller! We were on the Spirit in September/October and Adam Green was with us. We dined on his table one night - what a lovely, very talented young man! If you have a 'Rock the Boat Show' ask him if he's playing his harmonica - it was amazing! He's a superb musician for one so young!

Enjoy the Legend - we love her!

Margaret

Will DO!

We love the Legend as well....:D

Day 7: Aqaba, Jordan 7:00am-8:00pm

Good morning from the chilly port of Aqaba, Jordan.

We just took on our pilot approx. 10 minutes and are arriving ahead of schedule in our berth here in the port of Aqaba. It's only 52F this morning out on deck.....bbbrrrrrrr!!!!!

They are opening the Verandah Cafe extra early this morning to accomodate people going on tour early such as us. We decided to book the Petra Tour thru Seabourn only because we have other tours independantly booked for Sharem el Sheik and in Safaga, Egypt as well and didn't want to miss the ship, otherwise we would have booked this one as well independantly.

Tonight the ship is offering three choices for Dinner, either the Restaurant or Restaurant 2 themed "Chop House" with those mamouth 16 oz steaks or the Sky Grill will be open weather permitting from 7:30pm-9:00pm.

For some reason we have been subjected to FOX News channel as the only channel before we got to the Suez Canal for the past 3 days and have lost the BBC, CNN and other channels....hopefully they return soon...I can't take much more of Bill O'Reilly!!!!:rolleyes:

My postings will be very limited to later in the day upon our return from Petra if I am not half dead and too tired to post!

I will try and post the menus before leaving the ship on tour if I have time.

More to follow later much later today from our "Floating Castle" in Jordan aboard the Legend.

Restaurant Dinner Menu

First Course:

Thyme Roasted Foie Gras Terrine, kumquat chutney, toasted brioche

Cured Trout with Cucumber Fingerling & Red Onion Salad, whole grain mustard vinaigrette

Roasted Quail Breast, roasted portobello, ruby grapefruit, port wine infusion

Duck Consomme, shredded crepes and vegetable julienne

Roasted Garlic & Poatato Soup, brioche croutons, crunchy pancetta

Tossed Bitter Greens, poached dried apricots, prosciutto, pistachio vinaigrette

Truffle Baby Corn Salad & Mache, crisp red onions

Main Course:

Sauteed Salmon, vegetable couscous, tomato salsa and crisp onions

Crisp Pan Fried Crab Cakes, marinated napa slaw, cilantro

Pan Sauteed Pork Tenderloin, green apple coulis, braised red cabbage, roast potatoes, madeira sauce

Grilled Sirloin Steak with Braised Beef Confit, lyonnaise potatoes, sweet garlic and ****ake demi-glace

Vegetarian-Vegetable Spring Rolls, napa slaw and sweet chili dipping sauce

Restaurant 2, theme "Chop House"

Starters

Peppered Buffalo Mozzarella, Roasted Portobello, Chutney

Warm Buckwheat Crepe with Corn & Scallop Ragout, Melted Leeks, Eggplant Olive Relish

Soup/Salad

White Onion & Pancetta Potage, Parmesan Croutons

Smoked Chicken, Cucumber, Overnight Tomatoes & Frisee, Shallot Vinaigrette

Mains

Beef Cowboy Steak 16 oz

Veal Chop 12 oz

Single Bone Lamb Chop 10 oz

Siddings-Glazed Vegetables, Coated French Fries or Truffled Mashed Potato

Sauces-Garlic Butter, Green Peppercorn, Wild Mushroom Sauce or Bearnaise

Desserts

Milk Chocolate & Coffee Mousse, Hazelnut Brittle

Marinated Berries, Vanilla Ice Cream, Lemon Biscotti

Full Day in Petra:

We just returned from Petra after a full day. The weather this time of year has been much cooler than what we thought it would be after having been in Petra in Janaury 2010 it was an OVEN at almost 100F or 40C. Today it was only 68F or 20C and sunny but with winds from the northwest. The amount of tourist was much less than the last time probably because there was only one other ship in with us today the Costa Voyager. Our guide Kamel was excellent at explaining all the sites. We split off from the group at one point to climb the sacrifice lookout point which was well worth the 45 minute uphill climb just for the views. One thing that I noticed was that the Treasure Temple was ropped off and closed to visitors entering something we were allowed to do back in 2010..so I am glad that we had the chance to do it once in a lifetime.

As I said the crowds were minimal and we had an excellent lunch at the Main House at the front gates of Petra. We had a full buffet of salads, a whole roasted lamb and authentic spiced rice and an array of cold and hold dishes along with choice of wines (which btw tasted superior in quality than onboard the Legend!) and coffee/tea, juices etc. The dessert table was excellent as well with some local desserts and also some old time favourites.

We then headed out by bus at 3:30pm to head back to the Port of Aqaba and we had a scheduled stop overlooking a gorge and valley whereby we were met by half a dozen uniformed wait staff in full dress offering us caviar and champagne at sunset. Apparently this was the first time that Seabourn has done this event in Petra (kind like a mini caviar in the surf minus the surf). We hopped back on the bus and arrived back at the pier at approx. 6pm. All in all a great day, a good crowd onboard our bus and great weather.

Tonight I think we might opt for the Sky Grill between 7:30pm-9:00pm and have something casual after a full day walking up and down that gorge in Petra.

More to come later tonight from our "Floating Castle" as Martita B. would put it the Legend!

Seabourn will usually tell you that FAUX News is the only available channel because the ship's equipment can't pick the other channels (satellites) when out of range.

The truth is that FAUX News is a streaming service and is available for free or a nominal charge while the other channels require an add'l subscription cost when "out of range" which Seabourn will not pay.

Ironic that a company that boasts being the "BEST" in all categories, subjects it passengers paying the highest per diems in the industry, to low grade and fictitious news coverage.

In the current #1 U.S.A. bestseller biography of Steve Jobs, he's quoted as telling Rupert Murdoch (owner of News Corp.) that FAUX News is an incredibly destructive force in American society.

Seabourn, unwittingly and due to penny-piching has become an outlet for a propaganda organization.

I use to call FOX the "Bush Channel" for years!

It's all about the money now I guess that we can't even provide proper satelite tv nowadays!:rolleyes:

We did decide to go to the Sky Grill tonight and glad that we did because they had a "Surf and Turf" menu on this evening with 7 oz Grilled Filet Mignon and Nigerian Jumbo Shrimp with grilled vegetables and Corn on the Cob....was yummy. They also had a cold buffet table with entrees and salads and a nice dessert bar with cheesecake, brownies, variety of ice creams etc....all in all a great way to end our day after a long day in Port in Aqaba out on deck this eveing with the stars.

I thought the Chinese restaurants in Beijing were rather good. But since they are not in NYC, they must be inferior if Neophytus says so!

I thought NYC Chinese restaurants were in the USA and Beijing restaurants in China, but they must be in the USA too, if marchanxiety says so!

(as per original thread and posts which was solely based on USA locations,

please note that Ft. Lauderdale, FL is in the USA, in case you thought it was in China).

Day 8: Sharem el Sheik 7:00am-11:00pm

Good Morning Sharem el Sheik. We are tied up alongside our berth here in Egypt. We are just about to head out for breakfast in the Verandah Cafe and then meet our private tour guide Mahmoud alongside the pier for our full day excursion to the Monastry and thereafter a Safari in the Sinai.

The weather today looks to be same as yesterday 24C or 76F and sunny with very light winds. Today I will put on sunscreen on my face as I forgot to do so in Petra yesterday and I am paying the price this morning with a "tomato face".

Just made reservations for the Sky Grill for dinner tonight and seems to be somewhat popular as we were approx. 25 people last night out of a seating capacity of 35.

More to come much later today when we return to our "Floating Castle" the Legend!

We just came back from our "tour from hell" today. We were suppose to go to St-Catherine's Monastary but when we got into our 4x4 Landrover our tour guide told us there was a last minute change in our schedule due to the Monastary being closed today when it is usually open from 9:00am until 12 noon. I explained that the ship's tour had already departed at 7:45am...he didn't seem to care but kept on insisting that we would be going to a bedouin tent for tea in the desert and then a camel ride ( no thank you...did that already countless times) and then we would go to the blue hole for snorkeling (although we hadn't brought any gear or swiming trunks!).

We agreed to go to the desert safari portion and it took approx 1 hour to reach our destiantion. I thought at one point they were taking us into nowhere land and leave us for dead!...LOL We finally arrived after one of the most bumpy rides I have ever had on any tour...I needed a chiropractor after the return trip back to Sharem el Sheik.

The bedouin experience was nice in the middle of nowhere with tea being served and a short explanation of the type of life they lead in the desert. We then headed back into Sharem el Sheik and were given a city tour of a mosque, catholic church and then along the beachside. We were back on the ship by 12 noon and camped out onboard for lunch in the Verandah Cafe. Today's menu from the Grill was a Red Snapper with cilantro relish which was done to perfection. The Sky Grill was closed while we are in port...too bad love those burgers now...I am hooked on the coated french fries!

We then decided to take the complimentary shuttle bus into Sharem el Sheik and walk around the beachside and took some sun for most of the afternoon. Not quite what we had planned and I am dying to run into someone that went with the ship to the Monastary today to see what happened to them and if indeed it was closed and what their plan B was.

More to come later from our "Floating Castle" in Sharem el Sheik until 11pm tonight.

Restaurant Dinner Menu

First Course:

Black Pepper Seared Tuna, olive oil smashed fingerlings, quail egg & crisp red onions

Seared Beef Carpaccio, Sesame Vinaigrette, toasted ****ake mushrooms and scallions

Mustard Crusted Sweetbreads with Almond & Lentil Salad, warm bacon vinaigrette

Double Beef Consomme, braised beef short rib and parmesan flan

Losbster Bisque "En Croute", tarragon cream, baby artichokes

Mesclun Leaves and Endives, herbs, citrus dijon vinaigrette

Baby Field Salad with Smoked Salmon, poached egg, crisp potatoes, horseradish dill dressing

Main Course:

Brioche Crusted Lemon Sole, couscous cake and shrimp dumplings

Mustard Crusted Scallops on Scallion Potato Risotto, caramelized pearl onions

Herb Roasted Chicken, roasted garlic pommes puree, overnight tomatoes

Braised Veal Osso Bucco, porcini risotto, lemon herb gremolata

Vegetarian-Mushroom & Eggplant Lasagna, garlic cloves, roasted tomatoes

Restaurant 2 Theme "Thai Dinner"

Starters

Popia Pad, Thai Egg Roll Filled with Crabmeat, Mint & Mango Coulis

Chicken & Beef Satay, Peanut Sauce, Pickle Vegetable

Soup/Salad

Tom Ka Gai, Chicken Coconut Soup

Thai Vegetable & Glass Noodles Salad, Lime Coriander Sauce

Mains

Lemon Grass Shrimp, Green Curry Sauce, Basil Rice

Spicy Beef Stir-Fry, Green Beans & Peppercorn, Rice Noodles

Desserts

Coconut & Corn Vanilla Custard Served with Lemon Biscuit Berry Compote

Banana Crumble, Cinnamon Sauce, Vanilla Ice Cream

We are enjoying our daily "Seabourn fix" via this wonderful blog. Like Tony and Trevor we are doing this cruise in reverse in March - Dubai to Istanbul and are fascinated to hear about the ports of call. Do you think the the Petra excursion would be too strenuous for someone with a walking stick? I fear it would, but we hope to be able to go to Luxor, perhaps overnight. Are you doing that via the ship or independently? Looking forward to your next post.

We are enjoying our daily "Seabourn fix" via this wonderful blog. Like Tony and Trevor we are doing this cruise in reverse in March - Dubai to Istanbul and are fascinated to hear about the ports of call. Do you think the the Petra excursion would be too strenuous for someone with a walking stick? I fear it would, but we hope to be able to go to Luxor, perhaps overnight. Are you doing that via the ship or independently? Looking forward to your next post.

We did see people with canes and walking sticks and if worse case you can rent a horse and carriage for $35.00 to bring you back up. We have already done Luxor and Karnak on previous cruises and this time plan on doing some snorkeling and scubba diving in Safaga on both days.

I would recommend to see Luxor and Karnak and see the Sound and Light show at night as well if you get to do an overnight.

SB traveller.

Thank you for the updates. You certainly did not have a very good tour!!

You inferred that SB did the tour to St Katherines-

''I explained that the ship's tour had already departed at 7:45am''

Did they have a tour there or was this some other one?

Thank you so much for your narratives.

Have a pleasant evening-snowing here!!

Kind regards

Tony

Archived