Noordam skips Half Moon Cay

jkm151

The Noordam which just left Ft. Lauderdale yesterday, had to skip its scheduled call at Half Moon Cay today due to strong winds and high seas. I hope this doesn't happen in March when we will be on the Noordam. Happy Cruising!!!!!

Just an idea , the more things and conditions that you require or rely on inorder for you to have a happy time, then the more things will be like a house of cards. The slighest glitch, weather, port, sea, can sent it all crashing around you. I have seen dozens sad faces, oh we missed the port, It is raining, etc.

I come now with the simple idea that just being on the ship, with a dry bed and warm food is enough. Everything else I treat as gravy... A suprise if it happens, a discovery,,,, and no loss if it dosen't.. I didn't make anything dependent on any thing.

There is only one force in the world than cam make you happy or sad..YOU

WOW, why all the harsh responses here? The OP gave us some info and let us know his hopes for his own cruise planned for the future.

I too hope he/she get's to experience Half Moon Cay, the top rated private island by Porthole Magazine. I also hope that she/he understands the need for the ship, captain and line to hold the safty of guests over their wishes for a particular Island experience.

Good luck and have a blast even if you have to stay on board.

Just an idea , the more things and conditions that you require or rely on inorder for you to have a happy time, then the more things will be like a house of cards. The slighest glitch, weather, port, sea, can sent it all crashing around you. I have seen dozens sad faces, oh we missed the port, It is raining, etc.

I come now with the simple idea that just being on the ship, with a dry bed and warm food is enough. Everything else I treat as gravy... A suprise if it happens, a discovery,,,, and no loss if it dosen't.. I didn't make anything dependent on any thing.

There is only one force in the world than cam make you happy or sad..YOU

Thanks for preaching. And for contradicting one of your own recent posts. ;)

We've done 2 b2b's on the Noordam so two scheduled stops during each of those 20 days cruises. Missed HMC half the time due to wind....being a tender port, it needs to be relatively calm to safely tender the pax from the ship to the tender and then back again.

We are batting .500 with Half Moon Cay, having been there twice on four cruises. It is absolute paradise and I can understand why some folks are disappointed to miss it. Needless to say none of us can control the weather. We are scheduled to visit Half Moon Cay while on the Noordam on Thursday, February 2nd. We too are hoping for good weather.

Missing HMC because of winds happens more than we might realize. Its hard to see it from the ship when the decision is made to sail on by and watch it pass by without stopping. Been there done that and got no tee shirt!:confused: Any of the tender ports are at the mercy of winds and tides. Grand Cayman is missed quite often, and I recall somewhere on the boards the 5 ships missed it this week, or last. Oh well, maybe you'll make it next cruise.;)

There were high winds and swells of over 8-10 feet........

It was unsafe to tender and risk injury to crew or guest.

If you look at the itinerry, everywhere it is listed, there is always an asterik which indicates 'conditions permitting'.

Conditions did not permit.

It is disappointing but happens, at HMC, about 25% of the time, in my experience.

We are in FLL right now, has been pretty windy and the seas rough. Supposed to ease over next two days. Hope our scheduled visit to HMC for Monday still goes.

If we don't make it, it will be our first miss of 5 tries. So much for the high percentage misses!

The Noordam which just left Ft. Lauderdale yesterday, had to skip its scheduled call at Half Moon Cay today due to strong winds and high seas. I hope this doesn't happen in March when we will be on the Noordam. Happy Cruising!!!!!

Just saying ... If you skip HMC because of weather, you would not ejoyed having been there anyway. :D

:) Hopefully, you'll have calm seas and wonderful weather for your port stop in HMC in March.

During a recent stop at Grand Caymon, the seas got rough with three cruise ships' passengers already ashore. All of the tenders were being slammed into the concrete pier with several tenders damaged. Passengers returning to the ship were tossed like salad ingredients inside the tenders. Trying to embark and disembark tenders in rough seas is dangerous for all concerned.

I have missed HMC because of high winds that the Captain said would have blown the ship into the island. All excursions and clamshell rentals were credited.

During a recent stop at Grand Caymon, the seas got rough with three cruise ships' passengers already ashore. All of the tenders were being slammed into the concrete pier with several tenders damaged. Passengers returning to the ship were tossed like salad ingredients inside the tenders. Trying to embark and disembark tenders in rough seas is dangerous for all concerned.

I have missed HMC because of high winds that the Captain said would have blown the ship into the island. All excursions and clamshell rentals were credited.

On our Thanksgiving cruise on the NA..we didn't even get off the ship in Grand Cayman...I do not like to tender..so we just passed...I have experienced trying to get from tender to the ship in rough seas...and do not want to do it again...but I also love HMC...but the tenders there are nice and big so I can deal with it a bit better:eek:

We had the private oasis this cruise and I was worried we might not get there just because I wanted the rest of the family to experience a bit of heaven on earth for a day:) It was a gorgeous day and a great time was had by all the family!

I hope everyone cruising soon gets to stop at HMC...just love that place:)

Archived