What to do in Key West?

Crusin Hogs

I walked to the library, out into the more regular area where I was told I could get 30 minutes of free internet, and sat and chatted with a college kid for about 30 minutes, and got to hear about how it is living there.

I walked to the sounternmost rock, which is pretty far from the library. I wanted to say I touched it .. but there was a line, and people were all posing for pictures and I was alone, so since I didnt want to do pictures, just touch the rock, I just walked as close as I could and didnt actually touch it. Another time. Its the sounternmost point on the continental united states (i.e. hawaii doesnt count).

I looked at the church across from where hemingway's house was. I could get far enough into his yard at hemingway's house to see one of the 6 toed cats, you can get partway into the yard where the ticket seller was and see the house from the front.

I was thinking the butterfly museum myself, but hadnt paid the price yet.

Go to the blond giraffe and get a chocolate dipped key lime on a stick. They are famous and its worth it to do to me, not expensive.

Aunt Jane's hot sauce I think is the one that has free samples and sells all kinds of hot sauce.

What kinds of things do you want to do? I enjoy Key West and the prices on clothes are cheap. I got two hoddies that are navy and say Key West for $10 each. Lots of clothes type souveneir bargains.

Go to the Southernmost point in the US and take pictures. ;)

The Hemingway House is a must! The history and the stories are wonderful!

The Blonde Giraffe has gone out of business. Kermit's Key Lime is still open.

If you're there at sunset, head to Mallory Square to watch. Almost all of Key West gathers there nightly.

Catch the trolley tour and take a ride around the island. You can get off and on at any stop. I recommend Louie. He's awesome.

Have a fish burrito at Garbo's Grill on Greene St. It's just a street cart but has the best Mahi-mahi we've ever had. Heidi makes it fresh and yummy!

Find Sandy's Grill and order a Cuban Sandwich. Large enough for 3 people. Oh my.

Stroll Duval Street, bars and some wonderful shops.

Rent bikes or scooters and wander the island on your own.

-Agree about Hemingway's House. A must!

-The Pirate's Museum is neat and there is a regular museum near the Pirate one.

-Always thought Kermit's was better tan Blonde Giraffe. I seem to remember there being 3 locations for Blonde Giraffe. Hard to believe all closed.

-Butterfly Garden is lovely

-Southernmost point great for pictures and next to best beach on Key West. It is very small and not great for swimming, but you can rent loungers, there is a restaurant right there and the attendant on the beach comes around with frozen towels and frozen fruit for tip only.

-On Duval Street- go to Sloppy Joe's, the World's Smallest Bar or any number of great eateries/ drinkeries, read the clothing in the windows at your own risk. Read only the ones at eye level if you're easily offended

-Take a picture at Mile 0 on US 1

The island is small and walkable, and while there is a lot to see, I couldn't imagine paying entry into most of them in one day.

We are going on the Fantasy in April, and Key West is a port we're going to. Our plan is to go to Hemingway's, Kermit's and possibly the Butterfly Garden. It will be a full day with the walking.

Have fun!

The first time I was in key west, I got off the ship and had to call in to work for a mandatory conference call. 30 minutes later I was laid off and about an hour later I was on the ship heading for the remaining 4 days of our cruise. Too bad I was now unemployed and had no idea if I had an income to count on. Talking about turning a cruise into a ship of sorrows. Did I mention it was during Christmas.

The first time I was in key west, I got off the ship and had to call in to work for a mandatory conference call. 30 minutes later I was laid off and about an hour later I was on the ship heading for the remaining 4 days of our cruise. Too bad I was now unemployed and had no idea if I had an income to count on. Talking about turning a cruise into a ship of sorrows. Did I mention it was during Christmas.

Sorry to hear this , but you will always remember that trip! Thanks for all

great replies , We are making a list!

We have been to KW once after and had a great time. I went a bit later on business, yes same company, and stayed out until the cops told us to go home.

The moral of the story, I still work for the same company. Got a big promotion when the dust settled and got a 35% pay raise to boot. It ruined a cruise but It did turn out for the best, at least as of now. But when you work for a large Corp, things change quickly.

I also vote for visiting Hemmingway's House, Truman's Little White House, and the Southernmost Point. Don't forget to take a camera. Sloppy Joe's Bar is famous, because that's where Hemmingway spent most of his time. It's pretty dumpy, but has a tree growing inside of it. Also, there are women's bra's hanging everywhere. All sizes and colors. lol You can also rent little electric carts, called bubble cars, for a day, or 1/2 day, if I remember right. Fun to bug around in. Key West is a very pretty place, and has tons to see and do.

We did a "Light Tackle Fishing" excursion. The excursion is meant to be for 6-8, but as it turned out, it was just us (DH and me) and the captain. The captain was a fun guy, originally from Siberia. Great accent and just a funny guy. DH caught some beautiful and impressive fish. I hate fishing but I had a blast that day!:)

When we got back, we walked around town a little and did a self-guided key lime pie taste test (Blonde Giraffe, Kermits, and some other place). We saw "The Smallest Bar", and many other entertaining sights. But there is still so much we didn't get to do, that I want to go back again soon.

Archived