Alaska on the Jewel

ESMBDS

The Jewel's first Alaska cruise is not until May, '12. She is replacing the Star. You would need to read previous Star or Pearl reviews to get an idea. However, we did the Pearl Alaska cruise two years ago. Great. Doing the Jewel to Alaska in late May.

Been to AK twice now and am looking forward to a third on the Pearl in June 2012. AK is wonderful - lots of wildlife, native culture,and history to explore in all the ports. The Pearl spends a morning in Glacier Bay while the Jewel will traverse Tracy Arm and visit the Sawyer Glaciers. I have seen the Sawyer Glaciers twice - It would be better if the ships could get closer - there is an excursion out of Juneau that takes you into Tracy Arm in a smaller boat that can get up close to the glaciers - on the Jewel you will reboard the ship in the middle of the bay leading into Tracy Arm, on the Pearl you will be taken back to Juneau for boarding. Yes I plan on doing this trip on the Pearl - I have seen Mendenhall glacier twice and would rather see Sawyer and Tracy Arm up close. There are several places to pan for gold, there is the White Pass and Yukon train ride. There are also lots of hiking and biking tours as well - just depends on how active you want to be. Check out http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html for more ideas for each port.

Archived