Alaska in Sept?

Syrreal

DH and I are thinking of doing Alaska for our 10th anniversary next year. We would be cruising in Sept and thinking of doing RT Vancouver.

We've cruised Alaska before but it was in the end of July/beginning of August (southbound cruise) and the weather was basically so/so. I think we got one or two kind of sunny days. Weather was in the high 50's/low 60s. Wildlife was abundant with whales everywhere.

How different an experience should we expect in September?

Weather always changes but the odds say you will have more rain and cooler temperatures than cruising earlier in the season as you did last time. Now, you may get lucky and not have any rain but the odds are greater that month. Another major difference is that there will be less daylight in September.

With that said, I always think it's nice to experience Alaska different times of the year so I would still not hesitate to book the cruise. It will also be a little less crowded in port in September as a plus with fewer families sailing this time of year.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding anniversary.

Keith

We did our first Alaska cruise Sep 19-15. The weather, while generally on the grey side, was good. We had a bit of drizzle a couple of days. Not too cold (and I don't do cold well). The fall colors were amazing! We're planning our next for May, but struggled making the decision for May and not September this time.

Another bonus for the last cruise of the season, everything (onboard as well as in port) was on sale.

:)

We have done two Alaska cruises in September over the past 3 years and while I tend to prefer mid-July thru mid-August, I will say we had one cruise where the weather was pretty poor and another which was a 14 day B/B where the weather was pretty good. In fact on the 14 day cruise we only had a few days where the weather was bad. You are really rolling the dice with weather in Alaska whenever you go. So now having done some 23 cruises to Alaska, I would say by all means do it but go expecting the worse and if it is better than you think then you will be delighted.

DH and I are thinking of doing Alaska for our 10th anniversary next year. We would be cruising in Sept and thinking of doing RT Vancouver.

We've cruised Alaska before but it was in the end of July/beginning of August (southbound cruise) and the weather was basically so/so. I think we got one or two kind of sunny days. Weather was in the high 50's/low 60s. Wildlife was abundant with whales everywhere.

How different an experience should we expect in September?

Okay basically having sailed Alaska at all times of the season, I can say here are a few considerations:

• Weather will be grayer and the sunlight less
  • End of season Alaska cruises are best southbound (as you did on your last trip)
  • Whales out much more
  • Bargain rates on cruises
  • Take a cruise line that offers the dome swimming pools (to keep warm)

Since you have been to Alaska before, if you want a "wilder adventure" I might consider booking InnerSea (the adventure Cruiseline) in a Navigator Cabin with a bed that converts to Queen, there are only 76 guest and the Wilderness Discoverer underwent extensive refurbishment in early 2011 and guest raves are still flowing. Expedition un-cruising is top-of-mind with this ship; and adventure and discovery lay at its heart. The interior complements the outside and public and private spaces are loaded with amenities. Enjoy a main lounge that evokes the feel of a National Park Lodge or neighborhood pub and relax on deck or keep watch for wildlife. The Itinerary Ketchikan to Juneau is nice, but I can see why you'd love Vancouver roudtrip.

The Innersea/American Safari trips are for the young at hear and you may want more sophistication. The Inner sea journeys offer only three accessible decks, but are fully equipped for comfort and action. The sun deck has a sauna and fitness equipment; viewing is over-the-top from the bow and under-the-stars from two hot tubs on the observation deck; and the EZ Dock launch platform on the main deck makes getting in the water a synch. Onboard are kayaks; stand-up paddle boards; inflatable skiffs; hiking poles; yoga mats; hydrophone for listening below-surface; and a bow-mounted underwater camera pipes the action to the lounge and to your cabin TV.

The four cabin categories aboard the Wilderness Discoverer are: Navigator; Trailblazer; Pathfinder; and Explorer. Depending on your cabin, singles, doubles or triples can be accommodated.

Common to all Wilderness Discoverer cabins are: Memory foam mattresses; Flat-screen TV/DVD; and iPod docking station. All staterooms come with a view window (no portholes).

Otherwise: Consider Holland America (if you have sailed with them before they have Pinnacle Grill and OBC Credit cruises in Sept :D) I even heard that one couple added a 5 day Canadian journey (making trip 12 nights) on the September 19 cruise and got a real bargain going to Banff, Lake Louise ; Princess or Celebrity from Vancouver are also nice.

We did the SB to Vancouver on the Coral this past Sept. Yes, we had rain but it didn't really affect our activities. We spent the first week going north towards Talkeetna and Denali. Weather was perfect, cloudless and almost warm. Did some flightseeing and got very close to Denali. Rain was off/on while in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan -- several rafting trips in the rain but while dressed appropriately, didn't notice the weather as we were pre-occupied with spotting eagles and jaw-dropping scenery. Also, the fall colors photographed beautifully and felt we appreciated this more than the one-dimensional greens of summer. Just depends what your priorities are. And prices were right -- plus we got plenty of end-0f-season bargains. In fact, DH and I got 2 for $49. Alaska fleece lined jackets at the Denali Lodge and we've been wearing them frequently last few weeks here at home. Just go and disregard the weather -- how often does one experience Alaska! Happy planning!

I disagree on the soundbound recommendations for Sept, IF doing interior Alaska touring. By far the Inside Passage has the biggest potential for dropping off significantly with far more likeness of foul cold rainy weather. Interior Alaska holds out much more favorably. Ideal is a begining Sept norhtbound cruise followed by an interior Alaska visit, with a priority of getting to Denali park by shuttle bus closure. All the way around better for weather, inside passage daylight- is dark at 7pm by mid Sept.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and recommendations. :)

Right now it looks like Alaska might be on the back burner an we may do a Norwegian Fjords cruise instead. We haven't decided yet but that's the way we are leaning towards right now.

There are so many great itiniraries that I don't think we can go wrong no matter what we choose.

As for our last Alaska trip, I was looking through the pictures and we only had one nice sunny day out of the 2 weeks we were in Alaska. It was the day we were in Skagway. Every other day from Anchorage to Vancouver was cloudy/drizzly and only got sunny once we debarked in Vancouver. I'll tell you what, though, it was a FANTASTIC trip. Really, the best vacation I can ever remember taking.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and recommendations. :)

Right now it looks like Alaska might be on the back burner an we may do a Norwegian Fjords cruise instead. We haven't decided yet but that's the way we are leaning towards right now.

There are so many great itiniraries that I don't think we can go wrong no matter what we choose.

As for our last Alaska trip, I was looking through the pictures and we only had one nice sunny day out of the 2 weeks we were in Alaska. It was the day we were in Skagway. Every other day from Anchorage to Vancouver was cloudy/drizzly and only got sunny once we debarked in Vancouver. I'll tell you what, though, it was a FANTASTIC trip. Really, the best vacation I can ever remember taking.

The Norwegian Fjords are indeed excellent. I would only suggest a trip that takes you above the Arctic Circle, well worth the time with a North Cape porting. BUT< there aren't any more tidewater glaciers and the "glacier" sailings are way down the pole compared to Alaska, wildife sightings too, are very rare. Be sure to also sail the Chilian fjords, since they are spectacular and actually in my opinion, superior to the Norwegian. It's a small world. :)

Archived