Tipping in New Zealand/Australia/Rarotonga

KCSungirl

I do not know if there cheap or it was ingrained in them from birth now to tip.
How can it be "cheap" not to tip in places where tipping is neither customary nor expected?

I tell you what is narrow-minded: insulting your hosts for not following - when in their own country - your strange foreign customs.

IMHO I would tip about $5.00 for the tour guide and $2.00 to the driver.I am from the states and thats what I would do.There are a few non Americans on this thread who think our tipping is a little whacky and stupid.That I think is a little narrow minded if you ask me.I do not know if there cheap or it was ingrained in them from birth now to tip.

The Aussies and others from non-tipping societies, are neither cheap, nor is it ingrained from birth any more than we in the US have it ingrained from birth that we need to tip. Waiters & waitresses in the US get a little of $2 per hour plus whatever tips they receive. In Australia, the pay is $20 to $25 per hour for this position. Unlike the US, in Australia, they pay their employees a decent wage.

The Aussies and others from non-tipping societies, are neither cheap, nor is it ingrained from birth any more than we in the US have it ingrained from birth that we need to tip. Waiters & waitresses in the US get a little of $2 per hour plus whatever tips they receive. In Australia, the pay is $20 to $25 per hour for this position. Unlike the US, in Australia, they pay their employees a decent wage.

I am not talking about waiters & waitresses. I have owned 3 restaurants in Manhatten and know full well what they earn.My thing still goes back to the tour guide and bus driver.If you feel slighted and insulted please accept my appolagies.

IMHO I would tip about $5.00 for the tour guide and $2.00 to the driver.I am from the states and thats what I would do.There are a few non Americans on this thread who think our tipping is a little whacky and stupid.That I think is a little narrow minded if you ask me.I do not know if there cheap or it was ingrained in them from birth now to tip.

No, as we continue to say, there is no need to tip guides or drivers for tours as our industrial relations system ensures that compensation for these people is adequate and appropriate. Please don't call us wacky or stupid for having a system that protects lower paid workers.

No, as we continue to say, there is no need to tip guides or drivers for tours as our industrial relations system ensures that compensation for these people is adequate and appropriate. Please don't call us wacky or stupid for having a system that protects lower paid workers.

I never said your system of doing bussiness was waky or stupid.There was someone on this thread who intamated that the American system of tiping was insulting there inteligence or something.

I am coming to your great countrys to visit and have a great time even if I do tip.Dont get to upset thanks.

I never said your system of doing bussiness was waky or stupid.
You did suggest that those who didn't like tipping might be "cheap", or that they might have this view "ingrained ... from birth". If you use such pejoratives about your hosts, you can reasonably expect to cause offence.

I am not talking about waiters & waitresses. I have owned 3 restaurants in Manhatten and know full well what they earn.My thing still goes back to the tour guide and bus driver.If you feel slighted and insulted please accept my appolagies.

Yeah, I do feel slighted and insulted. Not only have you failed to understand the context of the original question, but you have also insulted me and my fellow-countrymen by implying we are programmed to be cheap because we do not tip. You are displaying cultural insensitivity. The American culture is not superior to our culture, it is just different.

The original question was about the tipping culture in Australia, New Zealand and Rarotonga. Several of us who live in these countries explained that it is not in our culture and we preferred it if people respected our culture and did not tip when in our countries. Some, (me included) explained that there is no need to tip because workers here have a legislated minimum wage and are not reliant on tips for their income.

That legislated minimum wage applies across the board, and not just to waiters and waitresses - a fact which you appear not to have understood. So, there is no need to tip tour guides and bus drivers. But, if you feel you have received service "over and above" what you anticipated, feel free to offer a a small tip. Of course, few will turn it down - they're used to Americans throwing their money around!

As an aside and notwithstanding the above, from a practical view point, giving someone a $2:00 tip as a separate transaction may not be the gesture you hope it would be.

What do I mean?

In Australia $2:00 is a small coin and is generally considered to be annoying small change. Thanking a driver or tour guide and slipping him or her a $2:00 coin in many instances would not convey the thanks that you are hoping to impart however genuinely meant.

Just a thought as my partner just emptied out the coins in his wallet into the "annoying coins" jar.

No, as we continue to say, there is no need to tip guides or drivers for tours as our industrial relations system ensures that compensation for these people is adequate and appropriate. Please don't call us wacky or stupid for having a system that protects lower paid workers.[/quo

Thanks for your answer. I just want to make sure that I do the right thing.

I would not want to insult the driver and tour guide just thank them for what they have done.

Thanks for your answer. I just want to make sure that I do the right thing.

I would not want to insult the driver and tour guide just thank them for what they have done.

A smile and a "Thank you" will always be appreciated. :)

at current exchange rates 2Australian = $2 US....so if its bothering you, you can send all the $2 Australian coins to me....

Soupy Sales

205 East 67th Street

NY NY....

(its a joke that only Soupy Sales fans might get-its what got him kicked off the tely)....

Archived