lighters on planes

I know you cannot take lighters in carry ons (DUH) but recently I have

heard or read (somewhere I can't remember) about the airport security no longer allowing lighters in your checked luggage. We don't smoke, but have a quantity of "cruise ship" lighters (bought thru e-bay) and take 3 along, for

our waiter, assistant waiter, and cabin steward. Each cruise they have loved them, and we have gotten even better service after we gave them these small gifts. One waiter said he was the "Talk of the wait staff" after

showing it to them. Anyway, can you take lighters in checked bags anymore???

dbb25

Rules do change every day, but I will say I have never had a problem in this area.

I just got back yesterday from a Delta flight and was on American last week.

I have one in my pocket and in my carry on, and so far have not had a problem.

The one in my pocket goes into the little bowl with loose change and keys, then I get it back after it scans.

I know you cannot take lighters in carry ons (DUH) but recently I have heard or read (somewhere I can't remember) about the airport security no longer allowing lighters in your checked luggage.
It's the other way around.

Lighters are already not allowed in checked baggage.

The new restriction will be that you can't carry them on, either.

The best way to check all items is to visit the TSA web-site (http://www.tsa.gov) and check out the list of prohibited items before any travel. The list changes with some frequency so it is best to be safe. In any event, the rules are as already stated "Beginning April 14, 2005, all lighters will be prohibited as carry-on items. Up to four (4) books of safety matches are permitted as carry-on only. LIghters and Matches are always prohibited in checked baggage."

If you really want to do this, when you fly in a day early, you can go shopping in you port town to pick up some lighters (you can probably find some interesting ones in a Walgreens, Walmart, or similar type stores) and buy some there to bring with you. I know that in the 1980's and 1990's my parents used to bring things like this (lighters, cheap compacts, $1 solar calculators, etc) to China with them as gratuities for various people who helped them out (like bus drivers for chartered bus trips, tour guides who did that little extra, etc) and they were amazingly popular in Asia. You might try something else that is allowed like the solar calculators or other items you might be able to find in dollar stores. There are many things we take for granted in the US that they don't have in many poorer foreign countries.

Archived