A Place Worth a 1 Night Visit Near Copenhagen

GPS

I have booked 3 nights of post-cruise hotel in Copenhagen on Priceline. The actual day we return from our cruise, I have not booked a hotel for yet (prices are higher). I was hoping to use this night to explore outside of the city. Is there a town nearby worth staying a night in? Please keep in mind it has to be convenient enough to lug our luggage off the ship to this place and return to Copenhagen by the next evening.

Princess Di: My priceline stays are: July 19 and July 31-Aug 3. Couldn't get July 30 for under $100 yet but I'm going to use this opportunity to see another part of Denmark.

Anyone have suggestions for a town to stay in?

I haven't been to these places but have read about them: Helsingor, Gilleleje, Hillerod, and Roskilde. The first two are on the coast. The Kronborg Castle (Hamlet fame) is at Helsingor. Gilleleje is a beach village. Hillerod has Frederiksborg Castle (the most spectacular in Denmark). Roskilde has a viking ship museum and Cathedral that are great to see.

You could do all or most of these on the train or car rental in two days. Steve and Hulagirl and juliejoe have posts about Copenhagen and might recommend where best to stay. I have a Copenhagen booklet from the tourist bureau that shows several places to stay at each of these locations. If you want some specifics, please let me know.

Marlyne

How far outside of Copenhagen do you wish to stay? One town that comes to mind is Dragør. It's very close to Copenhagen, and directly south of the airport. It's a very cute and quaint little town along the water. The old part of the town is a maze of alleys and houses, hundreds of years old in typical Danish style. One hotel that I noticed on the internet is the Dragør Badhotel. I've never stayed here, but maybe you can find reviews on tripadvisor. You can search for the hotel on the internet under badehotellet.dk

The other towns, Helsingør, Hillerød, and Roskilde are also nice communities too. In Roskilde you have the Viking musuem, and the Roskilde Cathedral where 38 Kings are burried. Helsingør has the Frediksborg castle, and Helsingør has Krongorg (Hamlet's) castle, plus it's accross from Sweden should you want to take a 15 min. ferry accross. Helsingor is also close to Humlebek which has the famous Lousiana Museum. Gilleleje I read was also menetioned. It too is a very small town, with a beach, and is very popular with many small summer cottages. If you get a sunny day, and wanted to be at the beach, this would be a great location. But, you can't guarantee the weather, and there wouldn't be much to do if you're not on the beach. Otherwise, it would be a very restful and beautiful place to stay.

However, all these villages can be easily accessed from Copenhagen with 30-40 min. by train, although Gilleleje would be a little longer. There are more activities in Copenhagen, and choices for lodging. I strongly recommend visiting any or all of the mentioned towns, but you don't necessarily have to stay in the town to visit. With the fantastic train and bus service that exist in Denmark, you can get anywhere you need in well under an hour from Copenhagen. Have fun!

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I have read that I can do day trips for all the of towns you described. I am already staying 1 day pre-cruise and 3 full days post-cruise in Copenhagen, so I was hoping to find a little gem I could stay one night in that would not otherwise be accessible as a day trip.

So do you think it may be wiser to just add another night to the Marriott so that I don't have to drag all the luggage to another town, or would I get an experience during an overnight in one of these towns that I wouldn't with just a day visit?

Is there an all-inclusive transportation card that covers trips to all these places? Does the copenhagen card cover the cost of train to these towns?

Thanks a lot!

I know I would not want to schlepp all those cruise suitcases off the ship, into a taxi, into a train, off the train, into a taxi, out of the taxi and into a hotel. They don't have porters at hotels in small towns in Denmark. Ouch:o

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I have read that I can do day trips for all the of towns you described. I am already staying 1 day pre-cruise and 3 full days post-cruise in Copenhagen, so I was hoping to find a little gem I could stay one night in that would not otherwise be accessible as a day trip.

So do you think it may be wiser to just add another night to the Marriott so that I don't have to drag all the luggage to another town, or would I get an experience during an overnight in one of these towns that I wouldn't with just a day visit?

Is there an all-inclusive transportation card that covers trips to all these places? Does the copenhagen card cover the cost of train to these towns?

Thanks a lot!

There is the Copenhagen Card, either the 24 hour, or the 72 hour, that covers transportation in all of north Sjaeland and the Copenhagen area. As for as a transportation card only, I am not aware of such a card, and my guess is that one does not exist. There are transportation cards that have clips on them. One card has 10 clips. Each clip is good for a certain amount of zones. You stick the card into a machine on the train platform and it "clips" off a piece of the card, and marks the date, time, and zone. The yellow card, one that was common in the Copenhagen area, is good for 3 zones. If you travel farther than 3 cones, just clip the card again. More than one person can use the same card. For example, clip once for one person, clip twice for a 2nd, etc. Each train station has a map of the train system and the zones. Find out where you are, where you want to go, and see how many zones you'll pass through. Frankly, I never encountered too many conductors on the train. They were pretty sparce. So if you get confused and didn't clip the card enough times, I wouldn't worry about it. If a conductor does check your ticket, he can simply clip the extra section for you. Or, always ask someone nearby. Everyone in Denmark speaks excellent English.

About whether you want to stay at the Marriott or stay in another city, that's a matter of choice. We are staying at the Marriott two nights before the cruise, and one night after. However, staying in another city is not a bad idea. However, if you're concerned about carrying luggage as you described, this can not be avoided if you stay outside of Copenhagen. As for where to stay, if outside of Copenhagen, that's simply a matter of what interest you most. I previously mentioned Dragor which is very close to Copenhagen, and closer to the airport, in a cozy fishing village. Dragor is very much worth visiting even if you didn't stay overnight there. Another city is Helsingor. From there you can tour Kronborg Castle, and a few train stops to the south in Humlebeck is the Lousiana Musuem of Art. Also, from Helsingor you can take a train or bus to Gillelije to have a day on the beach. Or you can cross the water into Sweden, that would be Helsingborg Sweden. There's a Keep there to tour, and also an open air village that can be walked to. I've not been there, but I am considering on looking into and making a visit there this summer if I can fit it in. However, all these can also be visited from Copenhagen as well. Essentially, staying outside of Copenhagen could be just as nice as staying in the city. It's just a matter of choice and interest. There is no right or wrong.

Thanks a lot!

In a recent post, I indicated that I doubt there was a 24 hour all inclusive transportation card. However, I am wrong. I was reading through my Frommers Scandinavia and read that there is such a card. So, in addition to the Copenhagen Card which does provide transportation to all these cities, there is also a seperate transportation card available too.

Steve

Archived