Cuba as a cruise destination

Holden von Vloppen

Americans can go to Cuba on all sort of approved tours and visitations.

We had an opportunity to go with our congregation but I'd rather wait and hope we can someday cruise there.

Hope we live long enough. :eek:

The current president has returned the rules to what they were before Bush the second became President. This means you can visit in conjunction with a bonafide education, cultural or religious group. They have rules about what you are required to do and what you can bring back. There is a movement in congress to impose more stringent rules. Going through Fred Olson would violate the new rules. A foreign flagged cruise ship that visits Cuba now without a special license cannot stop at any US port for I believe 9 months after a Cuba visit.

One thing that Obama did was to ease the rules on allowing remittances from family members in the US to family members in Cuba. The Cuban lobby in Florida is still a significant voice.

Cuba is rehabbing Old Havana and adding hotels. They hope that more visits will be allowed including purely tourist ones. Given that we allowed these people to people visits with the evil empire(you know the Soviet Union) and China...it makes little sense to me to prohibit them in Cuba.

BTW I have visited both China and Russia...and one of these days will visit Cuba...

Maybe the people here suggesting that Americans should forget what the mad man in Cuba tried to do to America, not to mention what he has done to Cuba, should pick up a history book and refresh themselves.

He is still there, and any dollars going into Cuba is going to benefit him not the people he has in slaved. Until he and his brother are gone American tourism dollars flowing into Cuba should not be allowed and you should not have to hear this from me to know it! You should know it already!

Maybe the people here suggesting that Americans should forget what the mad man in Cuba tried to do to America, not to mention what he has done to Cuba, should pick up a history book and refresh themselves.

He is still there, and any dollars going into Cuba is going to benefit him not the people he has in slaved. Until he and his brother are gone American tourism dollars flowing into Cuba should not be allowed and you should not have to hear this from me to know it! You should know it already!

The reason for the embrago isn't what he tried to do, it's what he DID do.

When the brothers die, the flood tide into Cuba wil begin.

Good points and I do share your optimism for the future ref their deaths.

Here's an easier one for you. Read this thread please. Had you done that first, you would have seen I am Cuban and actually from Cuba. I know my history and I know a lot more about Cuba than you ever will. However, my hatred for Castro does not overshadow my love for this country and my belief this country should not prosecute it's citizens for their private travel.

I understand your hatred for Castro and certainly have no quibble. My point is that Castro will not live to see any economic largesse from the US. When the brothers are dead you will see your native Cuba re-joining the world and you will see me visiting there. Presently, I am not allowed to visit and I'm OK with that.

[quote

And might I remind you. There is NO FACT that Castro killed your president... it's all theory.

There is no other rational nor irrational explanation for the embargo.

We'll know if I'm getting good info a couple of days after the brothers are worm-food.

There is no limit to the degree of nonsense that our gummint will support and approve of regarding tyrants, despots,thugs,thieves,fools,puppets,etc who are in charge of other countries.

Except one degree.

Listen I don't want to preach here you are all fine people I'm sure, but you as American citizens depend on the military to rid the world of bad guys at the cost of life and limb. Is it to much to ask for your cooperation in getting rid of this bad guy by going to Aruba instead of Cuba.

The fact that you hate Castro and served in the Marines does not mean you represent the USA on this issue. I still think there are a number of worse people than Castro.

There probably ARE worse people in charge of countries than Castro. Apparently only Hussein couldn't grasp what the limits acceptance are.

Castro threw out a corrupt leader who was a puppet of American gangsters who used the more than 50 million a year (1950's money) earned from gambling and prostitution to buy political power and further their illegal operations in the US.

Bingo... There's an embargo; basically an obvious attempt to choke out the floundering Castro regime and bring Batista back to power. An attempted assassination or two and an attempted invasion added to the mix wasn't the most diplomatic way to deal with the situation in my opinion.

Question ??? Would the next fifty years of problems like the human rights violations and the Cuban Missile crisis have even occured if we didn't hand the Soviets a golden invitation to involve themselves with Cuba the largest Caribbean country just 90 miles off our coast.

Might have been better if we continued as before and used a more friendly political and economic approach from the start...

OMO but I think too many U.S. political pockets were hurt when Batista left..

bosco

There are but he is the topic here, and we as cruisers can do the right thing here we don't need the government to do it for us. This guy needs to go a long time ago and cruise lines going there will send the wrong signal. We can wait it won't be much longer.

I have been to China, Russia and Vietnam. Given the opportunity, I would go to Cuba. I think people like Stalin and Hitler were much worse than the Castros.

And are boys fight and die for you anyway. What a Country

What fight..? What die...?

Do you mean Grenada when eight thousand soldiers, sailors, airmen, and U.S. Marines participated in URGENT FURY and the U.S. sustained 19 dead and 116 wounded while Cuba sustained 25 killed and 59 wounded.

Those numbers versus Viet Nam, Japan, Germany, France, Italy, China....and and on and on... BUT WE CAN GO TO ANY OF THOSE PLACES..

bosco

Archived