The worth of cruise reports/reviews.

bazzaw

Having read a couple of quite vitriolic reports/reviews about P&O AUS ships lately, and constantly hearing that "everybody is entitled to their opinion" - I realised that the general tone of these extremely negative reports had a familiar ring about them. Then I recognised where I had read them before!!! - or, at least, have read the like of them before!

Right here in this website - the Cruise Critic reviews. For every ship that sails the seven seas today, you will find reviews by past passengers here. Most are almost effusive in their praise of the cruise/ship - but every now and then, you will get a scathing and damning report -- something along the lines of "Terrible". "Worst cruise EVER." "Disgraceful". You get the idea - we have all heard this before -- but for every ship sailing today???

So- I spent 5 minutes searching for the very worst ones - the ones with 1 star out of 5 possible stars. And I only did it for the three Cunard Queens (as we are going on them next year) - and the Oasis of the Seas (as this is one ship most seem to rave about) . But, you guessed it!! Even these have their 1* reviews - all by people proclaiming their right to have an opinion.

For some entertainment read these below

Queen Elizabeth

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=91417

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=86275

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=77991

Queen Victoria

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=92414

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=70606

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=62328

Queen Mary 2

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=93931

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=91139

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=91396

Oasis of the Seas

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=90405

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=89515

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=86242

All are somebodies "opinion" -- but they only represent a VERY small percentage of people with quite different, even opposite, "opinions".

Looks to me like Pacific Sun is in good company?? :)

Barry

Have you read the Complete Guide to Cruising released each year by Douglas Ward? If only he were on here posting his reviews you probably wouldnt want to look again!

He hates large ships, anything mass market, does not appreciate passengers with tattoos taking a cruise, describes P&O Australia as a line that lacks polish, refers to Carnival as splash vegas and lets rip into every mass market ship.

LOL Barry. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If we had taken any notice of the people advising us not to cruise with P&O we would have missed four very enjoyable cruises. For this reason I take every review with a grain of salt, and some with a whole bag!!!

I find the balanced reviews, with the pros and cons outlined, are the best. In my experience nothing is all good or all bad. I feel life is largely what we make it, and having a sense of humour is a great blessing. :)

So- I spent 5 minutes searching for the very worst ones - the ones with 1 star out of 5 possible stars. And I only did it for the three Cunard Queens (as we are going on them next year) - and the Oasis of the Seas (as this is one ship most seem to rave about) . But, you guessed it!! Even these have their 1* reviews - all by people proclaiming their right to have an opinion.

All are somebodies "opinion" -- but they only represent a VERY small percentage of people with quite different, even opposite, "opinions".

Looks to me like Pacific Sun is in good company?? :)

Barry

Interesting. None in the Sailor Jack class! I find it useful when reading reviews to check if the writer is a someone with a negative review as their only contribution on the forum and a join date on the same day as the review. I will take more notice if this is not the case and their other review(s) seem to be more balannced. I would not have confirmed on Pacific Jewel if negative reviews and perceptions of a cruise line were deciding factors and we did enjoy our cruise.

Colleen

Hi, go into each cruise with an open mind.

I don't read past reviews before cruising on a different ship.

if I don't enjoy myself, then I only have myself to blame.

have been on cruises where things have happened, including discharge overflow in toilets....people had thrown things into toilet, and blocked the whole line, but I didn't let it get me down, nor blame P&O for it.

Staff cleaned up mess. I sat in lounge for a few hours, reading while the vacuums were at work.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

I'm like Lorraine. I never read the reviews before booking or the cruise. Though I do check Hotel reviews before booking lol. :)

Nothing has ever gone 'wrong'on any of my cruises and can't complain about any of them.

Though trying different ships and lines helps me decide future cruises.

I would defend anybodies right to have an "opinion" even if its not the popular opinion..each review is that cruisers experience from their point of view...they dont know us and we dont know them we shouldn't be making judgements or jumping to conclusions. I get more annoyed by the rude comments made in response to posts...this is a forum where everybody should be able to have a say without getting jumped all over.

I always take into account when reading reviews and I do read them before going on a new ship...short cruises are different from long cruises, very long cruises are different again...cruising in the school holidays is different, cruising in warm climates is different from cold weather where everyone is inside all the time. Cruises that are port intensive are different from cruises that have lots of sea days, cruising with your own nationality is different from cruising where the passengers are mostly from another culture..therefore every review cannot totally represent anything other than that persons opinion of that cruise at that time...the next cruise on the same ship could be totally different.

I am really disappointed I missed sailing with Sailor Jack who was on one of my favourite cruises this year...bugger! His reviews have me in stitches.

I am really disappointed I missed sailing with Sailor Jack who was on one of my favourite cruises this year...bugger! His reviews have me in stitches.

Sungirl writes a great review as well.....

She has just done Celebrity Century, NZ/Australia

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1530149

I would defend anybodies right to have an "opinion" even if its not the popular opinion.

Not only "the right" - but everybody does have an opinion of almost everything - even if they don't express it.

But - it is when people try to force their "opinions" on others that things go awry.

And it is obvious (to me at least) that some opinions are SO EXTREME in comparison to most others , their veracity just has to be questioned. It is said that "you can't reason someone out of a position that they have not reasoned themselves into" - never were truer words said!

Barry

Its the negative reviews that keep the cruise lines honest and standards high. Everyone has a right to express dissatisfaction. I dont care when people put down my favourite ships. I get there is an impression that P&O Australia is a protected species here.

If you think people put bad reviews here I urge all of you to read the Berlitz guides by Douglas Ward! They will make your blood boil!

No, unfortunately, you do not understand at all and I have a feeling you never will until you are somewhat older. P&O is not being protected, but the many decent, fair-minded people who HAVE cruised P&O more than once and had nothing but good experiences, and the ability to realise there will be good and bad experiences in whatever we do, object strongly to being labelled as inebriated, ill-mannered, badly-dressed yobbos etc who do not have the intelligence to cruise with any other line. I have the intelligence and wisdom to "sort the wheat from the chaff" and I am not easily fooled by people who think they know everything! I find this whole 'argument' extremely amusing (being blessed with a great sense of humour) and sincerely hope you find whatever it is you are looking for in life. OK, that's all the time I'm going to waste on this subject - I've got a cruise to look forward to in 7 weeks today! :)

Oh, BTW, I do apologise for my extremely long sentence. It's definitely not the best grammar, but I have to get back to deciphering some more Latin Parish Register information before my eyes go on strike for the day! :cool: :)

No, unfortunately, you do not understand at all and I have a feeling you never will until you are somewhat older. P&O is not being protected, but the many decent, fair-minded people who HAVE cruised P&O more than once and had nothing but good experiences, and the ability to realise there will be good and bad experiences in whatever we do, object strongly to being labelled as inebriated, ill-mannered, badly-dressed yobbos etc who do not have the intelligence to cruise with any other line. I have the intelligence and wisdom to "sort the wheat from the chaff" and I am not easily fooled by people who think they know everything! I find this whole 'argument' extremely amusing (being blessed with a great sense of humour) and sincerely hope you find whatever it is you are looking for in life. OK, that's all the time I'm going to waste on this subject - I've got a cruise to look forward to in 7 weeks today! :)

Oh, BTW, I do apologise for my extremely long sentence. It's definitely not the best grammar, but I have to get back to deciphering some more Latin Parish Register information before my eyes go on strike for the day! :cool: :)

Ummm...that wasn't my review that you are referring to. I dont even know who wrote it but sure as hell wish they were writing more about their experience. For the record the majority of my cruises have been with P&O and I have probably cruised more than you in numbers and nights at sea.

I have probably cruised more than you in numbers and nights at sea.

You have probably cruised more than some- and less than others. SO????

When I was younger and at University, I was told by a wise man that sometime I will meet somebody who brags that they have had 20 years experience of something (we all do meet these kinds of people sooner or later) . He said that I should then ask them - "Was that 20 years experience - or one years experience repeated 20 times over ??" There is a BIG difference.

Barry

LOL Barry, you made me smile. I had similar thoughts - life experience is what counts and I am very satisfied with my life experience. I think I am the happier person. Yes, I certainly enjoyed those wonderful 6 weeks each way on what would now be considered an old tub - even riding out a monster storm in the Atlantic, at the point of no return, holding grimly onto our baby's carry cot all night. Oh, did I mention our cabin was low down in the bow???? and they covered the porthole with the strong iron? cover :eek: I think I've earned my sealegs. :)

I have probably cruised more than you in numbers and nights at sea.

You have probably cruised more than some- and less than others. SO????

When I was younger and at University, I was told by a wise man that sometime I will meet somebody who brags that they have had 20 years experience of something (we all do meet these kinds of people sooner or later) . He said that I should then ask them - "Was that 20 years experience - or one years experience repeated 20 times over ??" There is a BIG difference.

Barry

Hee hee that's a good one, it's so true :)

Ummm...that wasn't my review that you are referring to. I dont even know who wrote it but sure as hell wish they were writing more about their experience. For the record the majority of my cruises have been with P&O and I have probably cruised more than you in numbers and nights at sea.

Honestly mate, do you read your posts before you post them:confused:

I personally have enjoyed 356 nights cruising on various ships prior to my 21st birthday and have recently returned to cruising hoping to give my son some of the wonderful experiences that I had. Even though I have not cruised for many years people on here have become friends and I have been treated with respect and have learned a lot. Young, old, experienced or inexperienced, we are welcome on here.

There many on here who have done much more cruising than you but they do not go on about it in a superior way. This site, to my way of thinking is about a shared passion/interest in cruising and cruise ships and is not about one-upmanship.

Hi there Stranger! Haven't seen a review yet on a certain Rhapsody cruise. Hmmmm...Chez?????? ;)

Yikes well here's a promise I will do one when I go on Radiance in 6 weeks time, be warned I am no Sailor Jack.

My Rhapsody cruise was fantastic, I have been on her twice and have been incredibly lucky, with weather, planes being on time etc. I met some amazing people, who all sent me Christmas cards with photos in them, food was delish, the coffee guy remembered me from the year before, the sailaway was absolutely the best ever and I had 8.30 dining so I have tried anytime, the early sitting and late sitting and I have decided I much prefer traditional dining be it early or late , I have a soft spot for Rhapsody, so I hope my luck continues with Radiance, as I have talked my sister into going. I have heard some great things about Sun Princess, my friend is on her in 2 weeks time, I know you will enjoy it too. xx

Honestly mate, do you read your posts before you post them:confused:

I personally have enjoyed 356 nights cruising on various ships prior to my 21st birthday and have recently returned to cruising hoping to give my son some of the wonderful experiences that I had. Even though I have not cruised for many years people on here have become friends and I have been treated with respect and have learned a lot. Young, old, experienced or inexperienced, we are welcome on here.

There many on here who have done much more cruising than you but they do not go on about it in a superior way. This site, to my way of thinking is about a shared passion/interest in cruising and cruise ships and is not about one-upmanship.

The woman is referring to a review by another couple who have not been seen or heard from since who used the term "innebriates" to describe the passengers on Pacific Sun. I did not write that.

Some people just cant read and misrepresent what other people have said when they are quoting books. It was Douglas Ward in the Berlitz Guide to Cruising that said "the waiters are often better dressed than the passengers",...re P&O Australia "service that lacks polish".....

Do you want the ISBN number, and page number?

Given how many times people misrepresent and confuse what other people are saying it wouldnt suprise me if some are innebriated when they are typing the things they type.

The woman is well aware of which posters enjoy making statements showing disrespect towards others, and is cognizant of the fact that there are other people join forums merely to "put down" a company, for example, which they feel has given them a bad experience.

The woman also feels that it is healthy to have the ability to laugh at oneself and not take life too seriously. The woman also feels one should enjoy life (and cruising), because life passes too quickly and time wasted on unhappy experiences can never be reclaimed. The woman wishes everyone "Happy Cruising" in whatever ships they choose. :):):)

Archived