Advice on Shore Excursions in Brazil/Uruguay?

Seattle2

We are cruising from Rio to Buenos Aires on Azamara Journey in February, with stops in Buzios, Parati, Ilhabela and Porto Belo, Brazil, and Punta del Este and Montevideo, Uruguay. This is our first trip to S. America and only our second cruise. If it was Europe, I'd be more inclined to strike out on our own in port, but I know these are generally smaller, more "beachy" destinations and may have more limited infrastructure for English-speaking tourists. We'd like to get the most out of each port in terms of getting a feel for the locale, culture, etc. rather than just sitting on one beach after another (although some beach time is nice). Would appreciate any recommendations from those who have been to these ports before, particularly if you have any insights on the excursions offered by Azamara. Thanks!

I'm also headed to South America for the first time in February!

I did book a full day tour with Diego at Discover Uruguay in Montevideo. The cost is $125 per person and includes a 3 hour city tour followed by a 2 hour visit to Bouza winery for tastings & tapas. I have a spanish speaking friend who has visited South America many times. He recommended taking an organized tour in Montevideo and this company seemed to get good marks from others.

Ilhabella is an easy tender port to a small village in sheltered water. A rsther undeveloped vacation island, with poor infrastructure & little to see bar a couple of waterfalls, but very pleasant, friendly & laid-back.

You can pick up a taxi or van at the pier to head south along the coast about 20 mins for the waterfalls & a super little beach with ramshackle bar, or north along the coast to ??? but there are no inland roads.

Or just mooch the cluster of bars, cafes & shops near the pier.

Whatever you choose, this will be a lazy day.

Montevideo we picked up a shared van at the pier for a just a city tour of mebbe 2.5 - 3hrs.. From memory, only about $25 (?) pp, interesting & informative.

Guessing the tour fixed up by Geri is way better, but ours was fine & you'll have the choice of cheapskating like us :D

By the pier is a little tango museum (cheap, but a waste of money), a cluster of shops, and a big former warehouse/market converted to a food-court style restaurant complex - good food, atmospheric, somewhere to while away wiggle-time when you return from a tour.

There's scant info on smaller Brazilian ports, which are only offered regularly by Azamara. It might be worth asking on the Azamara board, or gate-crash a couple of their rollcalls for more imminent cruises than your own, & ask for feedback

JB :)

Some of the Brazilian ports:

Parati is my absolute favorite place in Brazil (you can spell it with an i or a y). It is a UNESCO heritage site , a gem of a town , sitting on the water , painted blue and white. The historical center is blocked off from cars with heavy chains , and the cobblestone streets are very pretty. However , they are challenge to walk on . Be sure to wear sturdy shoes or teva type sandals.

Parati has wonderful restaurants and shops with beautiful Brazilian folk art. My favorite shop is called "Arte Brasil"-it is located near the Santa Rita church. Very pricey , but incredible. My favorite restaurant is called "Merlin , O Mago". The shrimp and picanha ( a Brazilian cut of meat) there are to die for. Also quite expensive - a more inexpensive alternative is Margarida Café , which has a nice menu and good live music.

Although Parati has many islands and beaches to explore , getting to them is more time-consuming I´d concentrate on wandering around the town. I enjoy history , there is a neat little museum connected to the Santa Rita Church. .

Buzios- Trés Chic! Another great place , full of Saint Tropezy (new word!) charm. There are 23 beaches , and it is one of the few places in Brazil that has the combo of blue , blue water and white sand. A hard choice-day at the beach or in the town , with the great shops and restaurants.

Ilhabela- A lovely , lush island. I´d spend a day at the beach here. Be sure to bring repellant , as there are some bugs! You could go on a boat ride to one of the more remote beaches , like the Praia do Bonete or dos Castelhanos. (I haven´t gone to these beaches , but friends have and loved them). Be sure to see the timetable.

I really enjoyed my " walking" tour of Montevideo. We had lunch at the Mercado ( delicious) then did some shopping in the vicinity. I had a guide book and spent our day following the guide book , entering the churches , admiring the architecture. One of the highlights was the Palacio Taranco- a gorgeous mansion turned museum with lovely interiors and gardens. I also bought a very nice cameo at one of the flea markets.

Palacio Taranco

Taxis are plentiful and cheap in Buenos Aires-a "must " is the colorful , touristy Caminito district , which is great for travel photos and fun street dance demonstrations.

Then you can go to the famous Recoleta Cemetary...I really love the beautiful sculptures on the crypts.

Rio-

You could visit Sugarloaf , Corcovado (Christ) and the Santa Teresa neighborhood to get away from the beach culture. Lots of yummy restaurants -my two favorites are Sobrenatural for typical Brazilian seafood fare or Aprazivel , whihc has one of Rio´s best views and good food. Brazil is really expensive now , be prepared! One of the hidden gems in Rio is a park called "Parque Lage"....lush gardens and a mansion tuurned art school with a fantastic café. It sits right below the Christ Statue.

I don´t have any specific guides to recommend , as I´ve done these on my own. would be happy to answer any questions.

kim

Montevideo: Liz Cowley at http://www.realenglishtours.com/

An excellent guide.

Check on whether or not your ship observes Uruguayan time. Ours didn't and, despite several written and PA warnings over the previous 24 hours, a group who were joining our tour turned up an hour late. Liz waited patiently but, when they finally turned up, they didn't even apologise.

Archived