Oasis LIVE (one month later!) Review

Moira- I checked it out too! I remember you saying that you could ask the cam operator to focus on you, and he seemed to do that for 2 or three groups we saw waving! Next time we are doing that for sure!

I was embarrassed by what was on offer for snorkeling for you...these folks live in Australia...and well, this doesn't come close! But we enjoyed your company!

It was great meeting you and Brit...I have to compliment her. What a wonderful young lady you have raised! I was so impressed by her attitude. A lot of teens are all about "get me to where the other kids are". I saw Brit enjoying every moment of her " American" experience, taking it all in and appreciating it with someone she loves, rather than running off with strangers. That shows a lot of maturity and some really wonderful values! Because what is travel all about if it's not to appreciate far away places with our loved ones?

I can certainly see why you like to indulge her in these wonderful trips!

I do hope we end up on another voyage with you- that Australia NZ itinerary is on our list.:D

Ditto - I'm hoping to book New Zealand in December 2013 when the itineraries come out in March/April. I bought my next cruise certificate while on the Oasis to prepare for it!

See the pics brings back wonderful memories to bad I cant remember some of them:D I can still smell the food hear the music and the laughter I cant belive its been more then a year since I been on the Allure:(

I love your tag line about April 14 being the happiest day of your life. DH and I heartily agree! Our next happiest day is March 16.

They'll tell you that the Comedy Live shows are for 18 and up only. They won't even let anyone younger in. And if you look younger, the comedians will call you out on it. We've seen it happen. I believe they tell you Quest is for older teens, too. Love and Marriage is definitely PG-13 (or even a mild R). Man, some of those people they get up there have no filters!!

Sorry for the hijack, Kathy!

Just curious if you tried any of the specialty restaurants and if you did, which one(s) would you recommend?

This is the one area where I can't help much! We only did Giovanni's that first day. We liked it very much, and we would recommend it. It was also a nice atmosphere outside.

I love your tag line about April 14 being the happiest day of your life. DH and I heartily agree! Our next happiest day is March 16.

They'll tell you that the Comedy Live shows are for 18 and up only. They won't even let anyone younger in. And if you look younger, the comedians will call you out on it. We've seen it happen. I believe they tell you Quest is for older teens, too. Love and Marriage is definitely PG-13 (or even a mild R). Man, some of those people they get up there have no filters!!

Sorry for the hijack, Kathy!

NP Joan! No hijack- it's nice when folks visit your review with something to add! I did look at my compasses and all the CD run interactive shows are listed as PG 13. The Comedy is no one under 18, and there is one show at midnight, it is also listed as 18. But you are right Joan, the Love and Marriage newlywed couple on our cruise had a very R rated " audition":eek: They won the opportunity to be on stage, but I can't imagine explaining that you tube video to your kids at;) your 50 th anniversary party!

Great start! Looking forward to the rest of your review, as I am sailing Oasis in May!

Hi Nickles, I've seen you on the 5-19-12 roll call. Looks like its shaping up to be a fun group. :D Have u signed up for the meet and mingle? This is my 1st cruise but it would be fun to make some new cruise friends.

I just had to come on and say I am loving your review Kathy, thanks very much for your time, I will be on the Oasis with my dh on the 24th March and this is our first cruise, so reading your review is very informative to us and great fun, I look forward to each instalment!

I just had to come on and say I am loving your review Kathy, thanks very much for your time, I will be on the Oasis with my dh on the 24th March and this is our first cruise, so reading your review is very informative to us and great fun, I look forward to each instalment!

Thanks ! Think you will love Oasis! More review to come...just finishing tomorrow...day 4 and it will have to be at least 3 parts- lots of pictures!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We are sailing on the Oasis in March for Spring Break with our 2 teenage boys and my inlaws who will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. This is a first cruise for everyone except myself. I am looking forward to sharing your review with them. I feel like we are getting a head start on what to expect! Looking forward to the next portion of the review!! :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We are sailing on the Oasis in March for Spring Break with our 2 teenage boys and my inlaws who will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. This is a first cruise for everyone except myself. I am looking forward to sharing your review with them. I feel like we are getting a head start on what to expect! Looking forward to the next portion of the review!! :)

Oasis is right in your back yard! I think your boys WILL love Oasis. Tomorrow I review a bike excursion we took that the guys might like. And on my last couple of sea days, I'll be be reviewing the Flowrider. Don't know if your boys surf, but this is a teen magnet. The boys are there literally all day ( which should have been a sign unto me not to try it, but that's a story for day 6;)

The sports deck in general is great, a real neat hangout for the teens. We plan on bringing our teen girls in April 2013, and they are already excited!

thanks for the info re: comedy shows. now i can reserve with some free time left for those unreserved must-sees you mentioned. i'm already anxiously awaiting the info about "throw me a line", b/c it sounds a lot like my fave show "whose line is it anyway?" you have me so excited for my cruise in may that i'm like a kid at christmas logging on to cc to see the rest of your review! LOL

Loving your review. It is difficult to read it at the office because I find myself laughing with your comments/jokes/insights (almost spilled my coffee!). I had to close my door so that people didn't come and see what was so funny.

I am going on March 24th with my husband. It will be our first cruise. I am a bit anxious about it and I have been resisting for years to do a cruise because it just didn't look like something I would enjoy (last time I was on a boat - fishing charter boat I felt sick for the entire trip, about 4-6 hours) but your review along with other ones are making me look forward to this trip.

I am looking forward to your next installment and thanks for doing this.

I did look at my compasses and all the CD run interactive shows are listed as PG 13. The Comedy is no one under 18, and there is one show at midnight, it is also listed as 18. But you are right Joan, the Love and Marriage newlywed couple on our cruise had a very R rated " audition":eek: They won the opportunity to be on stage, but I can't imagine explaining that you tube video to your kids at;) your 50 th anniversary party!

I have a bit more info on the Comedy Night. My daughter is 17. When I booked online before the cruise, it said that 17 year olds were fine when attending with a parent. When we rocked up on the first night and they swiped our Sea passes, all was fine. The show was great but not packed out that night - at 10.30pm I think. A few older patrons too who did not crack a smile :p But really, the jokes were nothing I had to explain afterwards ... lol

With the Love and Marriage show, the PG13 rating was mentioned continually. I seriously doubt that the comments made by couple 2 on the strangest place they had ever made whoopee would pass the PG13 test :eek:

For some reason ... that answer has come up in every similar show (bar one) I've seen on a cruise. I do wonder if it is a set up!!

:) Thank you Kathy for your lovely comments about Brittany.

I've done a NZ cruise on Diamond Princess but there were three other ports to go back for another time for me. It's a great itinerary especially the Fjords cruising day. Spectacular!

Don't get Will in any more trouble! But sheesh, how bad can a kid be who is on CC all the time- not like he's out hanging on street corners.

Look, we can't have hooligan teenagers roaming the boards of CC at all hours of the day and night. That is how they get in trouble and also why we end up with so many posts around here about poor parenting.:mad:;):D

Will, you know I'm joking..... right??..:eek::D:D

Loving your review. It is difficult to read it at the office because I find myself laughing with your comments/jokes/insights (almost spilled my coffee!). I had to close my door so that people didn't come and see what was so funny.

Thank you! But don't get fired on my account!;).

I hope you will enjoy cruising, I was a total skeptic when we started almost 20 years ago. I had taken a TA with my grandad in the 70s and I thought cruising was for old people who liked shuffle board, eating and drinking. But my in laws planned a 40 th anniversary party on board Monarch (she was brand new then!) and we felt it was important to go along (we all paid for our own cruise and helped with theirs; I've never been lucky enough to have parents who " paid for the crowd"; it's more the other way- we take people along!) Well, we loved it; we found Royal does cater to a more active crowd, and we loved being able to see lots of places without all the travel and re packing. I too worried about sea sickness a little because of my first cruise I had a little sickness early on, but really, there are so many remedies fr instance try having a ginger ae while watching inside theater shows where you can't see the outside- it helps! Once your brain adjusts, you won't even notice it. I find I have a harder time on those small boats! Hope you have a great time!

With the Love and Marriage show, the PG13 rating was mentioned continually. I seriously doubt that the comments made by couple 2 on the strangest place they had ever made whoopee would pass the PG13 test :eek:

For some reason ... that answer has come up in every similar show (bar one) I've seen on a cruise. I do wonder if it is a set up!!

I think you may be right, but it's set up by the couple. I guess that is what a couple on the old TV show said and it's " world famous" now, so I think it's what couples do to be remembered, try to get laughs and win the big prize package. Everyone is looking for that 15 minutes of you tube fame these days! Part of what makes these shows so outrageous is that people will literally tell everyone anything these days!:eek:

thanks for the info re: comedy shows. now i can reserve with some free time left for those unreserved must-sees you mentioned. i'm already anxiously awaiting the info about "throw me a line", b/c it sounds a lot like my fave show "whose line is it anyway?" you have me so excited for my cruise in may that i'm like a kid at christmas logging on to cc to see the rest of your review! LOL

That's exactly the way they describe it... "If you like the tv show" whose line is it" you'll love this show". It was fun! One recommendation ( another of my seating recommendations) They only use 1/2 of Studio B for this because it's hard to do Improve in the "round". So you might prefer to be front and center for the best view, it was not crowded, so no need to queue up hours before, just a thought about where to sit once you get there.

Look, we can't have hooligan teenagers roaming the boards of CC at all hours of the day and night. That is how they get in trouble and also why we end up with so many posts around here about poor parenting

Will, you know I'm joking..... right??..:eek::D:D

Exactly my point:D

:( when I got up this morning, my IT guy ( DH, who cannot swing a hammer to fix a wall, but can fix a firewall- he's my 21st century handy man) informs me that our DR0B0 is broken. I'll do my best to explain this, but know that I don't actually understand ANY of it.

Unfortunately, the DROBO is our hard drive storage. It's a nifty piece of hardware that saves all your stuff on multiple discs so that if you have a hard drive crash everything is completely recoverable. This is great because usually if it fails, its just one " drive" and you pop in a new one, the other drives talk to the new one and voila- all your data is restored. This where I have been keeping the document with my review, this is where all our photos are stored, this is where the scans of Cruise Compasses sit.

But this morning, the DROBO does not feel like coming on line, it doesn't want to share anything stored on any of it's drives. So even though my Day 4 was ready...it sits ....trapped, on the DROBO. 21 St century handyman tells me all the stuff is there, I just can't get to it. DROBO s not talking to him.

He tries many thing; lots of clicking, many trips down to the basement room where DROBO lives,( no idea if wine and flowers are involved) an email to tech support, a little swearing...still DROBO does not give up it's secrets.

So, the bad news is, even though I was really excited about getting Day 4 up, and I have the WHOLE day off to engage in witty repartee and pass along meaningless wisdom about the best seats for say, Battle of the Sexes, all this important work has to wait till my 21st Century Handyman can solve this problem. ( I feel like the RCI website- except you will note - I am telling you about the problem)

21st Century Handyman assures me that the good news is, the data is not lost, it's just unavailable. ( what is with these IT folks?) He assures me once the DROBO is coaxed into action, it will all be there. I am trusting him on this because (and I am completely serious about this) in 36 years he has never let me down!( did I mention we were middle school sweet hearts?)

So I'm really sorry, (and I know some of you are actually cheering " yeah, we get a break from this drivel"!) but I'm really disappointed. I know some of you leave soon, and I loved that I could share this with you before you go. And it's the weekend. Everyone will have more time to ignore my drivel and just enjoy DH's wonderful photos! But there's not much I can do! I can keep writing on my desktop and then add it, so I'll keep plugging along and hopefully be able to post soon.

I'll post an update as soon as I have any more info. Thanks for your kind words!

Totally understand! However, that does not change that fact that the majority of us are waiting with bated breath for your next post :p

I'm sailing on Oasis in March and a member of the "waiting with bated breath" club, thank you for your excellent review, looking forward to the rest! I hope the DROBO decides to cooperate! ;)