HAL Menu Changes

T739

And don't forget the hot sauce. We will be back later this month for eight more medium bottles. First read about the sauce in a New York Times travel article, and then in the Fodors guide.

Customers love when she sings at breakfast time.

lol...if she's been in the New York Times travel section and in Fodors, we may not be able to get seated for lunch!

Escargot are my favorite HAL food.

Friends of ours that we "met" on another CC site live in St. Thomas.They are picking us up at the port in St. Thomas and taking us around the island like they did last year. I wonder where they'll take us for lunch?

We just returned from a Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, and a friend just returned from Ryndam. On both cruises (New Years Holiday cruises) we noted some changes in the main dining room from our previous experiences. These included no lobster tails (they did serve thermidor one night), no Baked Alaska parade with sparklers, no escargots, no Dutch night. I wonder if this is a fleet-wide change or just a one-week situation.

As far as I know they still have the BAKED ALASKA but I believe they have stopped using SPARKLERS.

Please let us know, Carol. :)

We are always looking for another spot for lunch. We've been to all these places so many times, something new is most welcome.

Hope you enjoy. Sounds very fun.

I find on the longer cruises the food is more extensive. We had escargots, lobster, etc. on our last cruise on the Prinsendam.

No escargots would really disappoint me on a cruise.

It's the one thing that has always been done well on all of my cruises - but on the Prinsendam - they were perfection:):)

I know that there is a schedule that they follow so the first night is the same but then there's the Capt's welcome dinner the first formal night and the Farewell dinner on the second and the master chef's on the last. What night is the Cariibean or other special menus? I should know by now but forgot. I'll make note on the next cruise.

Huh?

I'm not sure I understand your question. What do you mean "What night it the Caribbean or other special menu?" Are there special menus aside from the formal nights?

Used to be with Dutch Night but I don't notice 'special nights' on Caribbean menus.

Kazu....... Nieuw Amsterdam, seven night (though we did b-to-b) offered escargot both nights. It isn't only on Prinsendam or only on longer cruises.

I have never been on a HAL cruise that did not offer escargot and lobster tails.

Sail I do recall one night on the ship being Caribbean night, it was just a regular casual dress night but the entrees were more geared toward Caribbean dishes. Things like breadfruit soup and Jerk chicken were offered. I don't recall which night and I am sure it varies by itinerary.

Huh?

I'm not sure I understand your question. What do you mean "What night it the Caribbean or other special menu?" Are there special menus aside from the formal nights?

Used to be with Dutch Night but I don't notice 'special nights' on Caribbean menus.

Kazu....... Nieuw Amsterdam, seven night (though we did b-to-b) offered escargot both nights. It isn't only on Prinsendam or only on longer cruises.

I have never been on a HAL cruise that did not offer escargot and lobster tails.

Good news Judy as others were saying they didn't get them:D

Sail I do recall one night on the ship being Caribbean night, it was just a regular casual dress night but the entrees were more geared toward Caribbean dishes. Things like breadfruit soup and Jerk chicken were offered. I don't recall which night and I am sure it varies by itinerary.

Sher,

I posted a menu from our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise in the thread currently running here re: Vegetarian Dining and it had jerk chicken on it. Does that make it Caribbean Night? :confused: If that is what makes it Caribbean night, then I must have managed to overlook it on dozens and dozens of cruises. :D Didn't know that would designate 'special night'. See, learn something new everyday.

I recall when 'special night' was flags on the table from a specific country for that night, menus with many typical foods, menu covers representative of the country....... ie French night would have French flag on the table, perhaps Eiffel Tower on Menu cover, French Onion Soup offered etc.....

Been years since we enjoyed anything like that. They even ran colored ribbons across the table representative of that country's colors.

Was fun.

Here's a copy of the menu I posted in the other thread:

Appetizers

Fruit Ceviche - Vegetarian

Seared Ahi Tuna Carpaccio

Eggplant Caponata - Vegetarian

Caribbean Fish Cake and Crispy Shrimp

Soups and Salad

Caribbean Pepper Pot Soup

Curried Breadfruit Soup - Vegetarian

Chilled Guanabana Soup - Vegetarian

Great Sound Salad - Vegetarian

Entrees

Pasta Parcel with Zucchini Ribbons - Vegetarian

Avocado Citrus Salad - Vegetarian

Grilled Salmon with Tomato Broth

Caribbean Braised Beef Pot Roast

Island Spiced Rack of Pork

Caribbean 'Jerk' Chicken Breast

Curried Vegetable Cutlet - Vegetarian

Would this qualify as Caribbean Night?

If so, I guess I've been missing it for years. :o

Anyone that wants it can have my share:D:D.

They must have shipped your share and many others over to Celebrity. On "X" escargot is available every evening --- one of the items on the "always available" menu. Just saying ...

Ray in NH

well on HAL , just saying if you ask your waiter for escargo for the next night even though it is not on the menu it will served the next night. So you could have escargo every night but your first night.

Archived