Two arrested, accused of raping teen on cruise ship

TBR

It's terrible for her, but a great lesson for others, including parents who think their kids are A) responsible and B) completely safe on a ship. The fact she went to his private room shows how even at 15, kids can and do have poor judgment. Not to mention, I would never have let my 15 year old stay out that late, even on vacation. 1:45 am? I thought curfew was 1.

It's terrible for her, but a great lesson for others, including parents who think their kids are A) responsible and B) completely safe on a ship. The fact she went to his private room shows how even at 15, kids can and do have poor judgment. Not to mention, I would never have let my 15 year old stay out that late, even on vacation. 1:45 am? I thought curfew was 1.

It looks like RCI will be in trouble for not having security enforce the curfew.

Poor girl. Young people are too trusting and never think the unthinkable will happen to them.

Gina

It looks like RCI will be in trouble for not having security enforce the curfew.

Poor girl. Young people are too trusting and never think the unthinkable will happen to them.

Gina

It should be the parents enforcing a curfew and not the cruiseline.

Very well said.

I hope she gets through this without too many scars. She's 15 & shouldn't have been in a position where she could make that mistake.

Where were her parents? They're the ones to blame.................

While I'm sure the parents are reassessing everything they could have done to prevent this, the persons to blame are the young men who RAPED her.

Are there any restrictions against sex offenders going on vacation to places that have a high concentration of children?

I mean, can a registered Megan's law person book a week at Disney on the property, or a cruise ship for that matter?

Simple awful. I hope she gets the help she will need.

My only question would be about the Allure and a ten day cruise, did it just have a longer holiday cruise? Or does the article have the wrong ship?

I was wondering the same thing. I have heard of a 9 day holiday cruise. I also thought that the Oasis/Allure were too large to call on St. Kitts. St. Maarten is usually the farthest east either of these two ships go.

While I'm sure the parents are reassessing everything they could have done to prevent this, the persons to blame are the young men who RAPED her.

Sorry, I disagree............ They had the opportunity BECAUSE her parents allowed her to be out, apparently unaccompanied, at 1:45 am!

Too many parents relinquish all responsibility for their children when they board a cruise ship. This is a perfect example of why that should never happen!

Are there any restrictions against sex offenders going on vacation to places that have a high concentration of children?

I mean, can a registered Megan's law person book a week at Disney on the property, or a cruise ship for that matter?

As far as I know there isn't. Unless there's an active warrant out for someone they are free to go on vacation just like anyone else. One more reason to make sure kids are not out alone (or adults for that matter) late. And, things can happen anytime, but after about midnight, there is very little traffic. If this girl had a buddy system in place, she probably wouldn't have gone alone to this guy's room

Isn't the 1 AM curfew for youth/teen passengers set by the cruiseline?

We just got off the Voyager a few weeks ago and it was listed in the compass and posted in other locations.

It's easy to blame the parents, but I don't believe you can say that the parents set the ship 1 AM curfew. They don't have that kind of power.

Everyone is ready to point fingers quickly in a situation like this, although we know very little about what happened beyond the limited information so far.

This thread needs to be read by another CC member that had started a thread about wether the teen curfew was still in place and enforced. The CC member wants to give their teen child freedom to stay out past the curfew if they are behaved and not causing mayhem.

This thread shows why that is not a good idea. I do hope that the teen that this occured to will be able to recover from this terrible experience.

Isn't the 1 AM curfew for youth/teen passengers set by the cruiseline?

We just got off the Voyager a few weeks ago and it was listed in the compass and posted in other locations.

It's easy to blame the parents, but I don't believe you can say that the parents set the ship 1 AM curfew. They don't have that kind of power.

Everyone is ready to point fingers quickly in a situation like this, although we know very little about what happened beyond the limited information so far.

No one said the parents set the cruiseline's curfew, but responsible parents set curfews for their own children. We do know she was out after curfew and went alone to a boy's room, according to the reports. It's very easy to blame the parents if they let a 15 year old stay out that late alone. There is probably more to the story, but what has been reported so far doesn't look good for any of them.

The two "men" are criminally responsible for their actions, but the parents have culpability in the fact she was out that late and she has responsibility for using poor judgment. I think some are missing the point. No one has said the men aren't horrible for what they did, but that's not everything that is wrong with this event.

Not unusual at all for a ship to do a "weird" number of nights around Xmas and New Years.....they try to get the most people sailing as they can. They'll arrange it alot of times where one cruise catches Xmas and the other catches New Years, and depending what day of the week it is that particular year will dictate how they do it. (or they'll set it up to catch both occasions)

So sad to see this happen to a young lady like that....no excuse for an adult to take advantage of a minor like that ! Being from Brazil, it'll be interesting how they treat this? I doubt very much they'll let'em out of the country (hopefully they'll keep them in jail)

The thing everyone has to remember is that cruise ships have passengers from all walks of life, and reflect society as a whole.

In that regard, you should practice the same good judgement on a cruise ship as you would at home. Curfew or not, any responsible parent would not let a 15 yr old girl be out at night alone at 1am at home, and it should be no different on a cruise ship.

Hope the victim can overcome this tragic event without too much of a scar on her life.

This is a perfect example of why that should never happen!

Exactly! Parents should not let their children roam a cruiseship alone no more than they would let them roam the streets of a big city alone at that time of the morning.

I am simply shocked at the false sense of security some people get when boarding a ship :rolleyes:

And no, I am in no way saying its her fault for getting raped or that these two boys arent disgusting criminals.

Archived