Veendam bus pick up New Jersey

MTPockets

My husband and I want to sail to Bermuda but he is unable to fly due to a macular hole in his left retina under repair. I will have to drive from Virginia. Can anyone recommend a place to either stay and leave our car and get HA bus pick up or any other solution to our situation. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

My husband and I want to sail to Bermuda but he is unable to fly due to a macular hole in his left retina under repair. I will have to drive from Virginia. Can anyone recommend a place to either stay and leave our car and get HA bus pick up or any other solution to our situation. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Check with your travel agent. He/she should be able to book the HAL bus for you. Ours has.

What is the HAL bus?

Holland America arranges buses to the ports - ships that sail from ports in Florida, there are what's called "Homeport Bus". Same from New York. We sailed the Noordam twice out of NYC and took the Homeport Bus from Boston. My TA has arranged it for us in May for a Veendam cruise.

I know you are saying that he is unable to fly. Is this forever? I have retinal problems and was told after repair of macular hole, flying was restricted for 6-8 weeks. The first Veendam cruise to Bermuda is not until April 22. Wouldn't it be resolved at that point?

Just curious based on the information from my own retinologist.

Terri

Thanks for everyone's help. We may explore the lenght of time from Virginia via Amtrack but still thinking of driving and doing the Home Port Bus.

As for as the macular hole is concerned, our retinanolgist "advised" no flying until the year was up - as well as no scuba diving and no "high elevation" in moutains ie: the Alps, etc. Since he is the one in charge, we pretty much are playing by his rules and it's not much fun. Perhaps it has to do with the severity of the hole.

Anyhow, thanks to one and all. Love these boards. They are a great help.

The group I worked in required quite a bit of travel between various places in VA, MD, DC, PA, NJ and NY. We drove, flew, took the bus and took the train trying to figure out which was more comfortable and convenient. Our rankings ended up being: train, bus, drive, fly. If the train will work for you, it will be the most comfortable. You may be able to take the Megabus. (Don't know how far south it goes.) It is a very low cost bus that runs between various cities in the Mid-Atlantic and NYC. If you DO decide to drive, look for a hotel in Northern NJ that will give you the option of leaving your car while you are on your cruise.

Archived