Sea Sickness?

scarface

I was wondering if getting sea sick is a pretty common thing. We are going on our first cruise and are nervous about getting sea sick. We go sailing and no problems there, but I know a cruise ship is different. Any advice or stories will be helpful. Thanks:confused:

I don't get seasick really. I've even been through a Tropical Depression, rain, wind, etc. on an OLD ship, about 1/3 the size of most of the ones floating around now and didn't get sick. (We even had things falling off the tables in the dining room, etc. it was so bad!).

However, it always seems that on the morning of day 4 or 5, I get a little upset stomach. One little upset, then I'm fine. I've always thought it was because I was eating richer foods/desserts/drinks than I am used to and my stomach just couldn't handle it anymore!

June

just got back from our cruise on Sunday and none of us had any problems with sea sickness and there were a few times the boat was swaying quite a bit......my problem seems to be afterwards.....got off the boat Sunday and I can still feel the boat swaying....too weird:eek:

I was wondering if getting sea sick is a pretty common thing. We are going on our first cruise and are nervous about getting sea sick. We go sailing and no problems there, but I know a cruise ship is different. Any advice or stories will be helpful. Thanks:confused:

I have never been sea sick on our 4 cruises even in rough seasl. You may want to take some Dramaine (not sure about the spelling) with you just in case you need it. The infirmary on the ship will also have sea sick pills but of course will charge you for them. There are also wrist bands available for sale that are suppose to prevent sea sickness as they affect the pressure points on your wrist. On one rough sea day our waiter was sick - so it can happen to anyone at any time but I think it is pretty rare as most ships have stablizers and you don't feel much motion.

I've been on 5 cruises so far, 3 of them on the tiny NCL Majesty and never got sick. My fiance and I even went on that ship last year during the end of Sept when 3 hurricanes were all spinning around the Atlantic.

Can't say that for others on the ship though, people were pale all over the place. People were swaying so much, i didnt know if it was the rough seas or if they were drunk. :D :D

Bring some motion sickness pills and you should be fine. They say green apples work as well.

Go to the drug or health store and pick up a bottle of ginger capsules.. very cheap, zero side effects, and work like a charm. I swear by them and the other "seasick meds" have a chance of side effects, which I don't want to risk when I'm on vacation.

I get sea sick in fishing boats and also have been know to get car sick a few times. I can't handle a bus at all. :eek: I was worried with my first cruise, but I had no problems. I did feel the motion of the boat. In fact, I felt the movement more than I thought I would have. But I never got sick.

Ginger doesn't work for everyone, so I use Marezine. It's pills like Dramamine, but it doesn't make you as tired. I find it at a local drug store here in NJ, since none of the big chains like CVS or Walgreens would order it for me. It works great, a fishing boat captain once told me about it. We cruise in 2 weeks, so I have a fresh box ready to go!

Kathy

yogimax - Because I assume these people are cruising on Carnival. It is much easier to come to the main board because as it was stated on your "keep it Carnival" thread - no one ever goes to the other boards.

Look on the bright side, you can sure bump up how many posts you get by looking at all of these and asking "why is this on the Carnival board" :D

IMO, all of these topics are very helpful, especially for first time cruisers and people that are new to these boards. I just skip over any of them that do not interest me and I'm sure the others do to.

I seen ginger gum in a magazine for nausea, has anyone seen this yet???

Can you take Bonine and Ginger together with no problem??? I usually just take bonine but if I feel yucky I thought I would take ginger also. Thanks gina

I seen ginger gum in a magazine for nausea, has anyone seen this yet???

Can you take Bonine and Ginger together with no problem??? I usually just take bonine but if I feel yucky I thought I would take ginger also. Thanks gina

Ginger is all natural and you should not have any problems... just check with your doctor. I don't trust the gums, cookies, soda, etc. The more ginger the better... and the pills without any of the fluff, sugar, etc. have a good amount of it. I take 1000mg at a time (2 capsules), and never have a problem. I took it also when I had the flu a while back, or anytime I feel nauseated. Works like a charm. Since it is safe enough for pregnant women, I figure it's safe enough for me, LOL!!! Good luck!

Does anyone know if you can take a motion sickness drug bonine or dram. and still drink??? I'd hate to have to skip that portion of my first cruise because of motion sickness???????????

Some people can take it and drink and have no effects, some take it and drink and fall asleep... that is why I don't risk it. Even the non drowsy makes me feel drowsy when I drink... not worth it on vacation. Your best bet is to try it out before going on the cruise and see how you react.

Archived