Passport needed or ???

triple7tahoe

FWIW, you do not supply bridge documents for name changes when applying for a passport. Just a BC and a current ID. One does list any prior names used, but no documentation is required linking them.

Maybe it depends on the location you apply for a new passport, but I had to show proof of name change (via marriage license/certificate) and this was maybe 7 yrs ago. I live in FL. So for me, the 'bridge' between my birth certificate and my drivers license had to be proven by an official government document.

I think your relative will be fine with her birth certificate, marriage license (or other name change doc) AND her current gov't issued photo id on this cruise. Most cruises elsewhere, these documents would not be sufficient.

Michelle

Getting a renewal passport with the expired one is easy. You don't need any other documentation. If the cruise is in February, that should be plenty of time. I would treat her to the cost of the passport, since the risk of traveling with out one is great!

Who knows this may be the first of many more trips. DF traveled with us until he was 87, and I just came off a Transatlantic with a lady who had her 90 DF with her.

Liz

I agree, get a new passport right now. Renewal's don't take as long to get and the huge rush to get passports is actually mostly over with. The big rush was back in 2007 and for the most part normal delivery schedule seems to be operating again.

Maybe it depends on the location you apply for a new passport, but I had to show proof of name change (via marriage license/certificate) and this was maybe 7 yrs ago. I live in FL. So for me, the 'bridge' between my birth certificate and my drivers license had to be proven by an official government document.
I cannot say why you were asked (overzealous post office employee?, untrained acceptance agent?) but if your government ID had your current name, then the bridge document is not part of the application, nor was it seven years ago. Your situation was an anomaly, and not at all typical.

But it brings up a good point; there are always going to be cases where an individual's documentation does not meet the normal profile and additional supporting documentation is required. This happens FAR less with a passport than with other forms of travel documents.

Archived