Bus to Southampton

bloodymary

Bus from Glasgow to Southampton, how long ? is it overnight??????

I have just had a heart attack and cant fly just yet

But acruise would help me recover . Love Cruising help

Jennifer:confused::confused::confused:

I'm sorry to hear you have been unwell. I personally wouldn't do the bus! Too long and maybe too uncomfortable. You haven't said which cruise line you're planning on but if you look at Cunard - they offer a first class train service which sometimes they include as part of the cruise deal or it's an add-on. I've seen it advertised in the Sunday Supplements like this but also as a "stand alone", you can simply buy the return rail trip. It's looks like it could be perfect for you as you know you would be looked after and have meals on board and do it "in style" and get right to Southampton without having to worry about changing trains etc. I'm sure a good TA would know about it or check out Cunard's website.

I'm sure John Bull will come on here and keep you right also about trains etc. from Glasgow to Southampton but I am sure you would have to change somewhere!

A cruise would be perfect for your recuperation! Wishing you well:).

I'm sure John Bull will come on here and keep you right also about trains etc. from Glasgow to Southampton but I am sure you would have to change somewhere!

Did someone call for me? :D

You were almost right, Fairbourne :p

1. There's a direct National Express coach to Southampton coach station (not cruise terminal), departs Glasgow 8.15am, arrives Southampton 7.25pm. £69 pp. :)

2. Cheaper option (£49) at 11.10am involves an easy change of coaches at London Victoria coach station, with a 2-hour wait, gets you to Southampton at midnight.

These options of course mean over-niting in Southampton, but there are plenty of hotels for all budgets within easy walking distance of the coach station & City cruise terminal. Or a taxi to a central Southampton hotel, or hotel to any cruise terminal will cost no more than £8.

3. An overnight coach at £71 (10.30pm from Glasgow) also involves a 90 min wait at London Victoria & gets you to Southampton 10.15am. Plenty of margin for delays, so you could travel down to arrive on cruise day & avoid the need for a hotel, but rather you than me.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

By train, there's no direct scheduled service.

You have the choice of changing trains at Wolverhampton or London - Wolverhampton is easily your best bet since the change simply means waiting ten minutes on the same Wolverhampton platform, whereas London involves crossing central London from Euston to Waterloo.

Service is roughly every two hours, standard fare about £130, total journey time 6.5 to 7 hours.

1. The 05.50 from Glasgow gets you to Southampton at 12.41, in good time for cruise departures.

2. The 08.00 arrives 2.42pm - that should be OK for cruise departures, but allows no margin for delays.

3. Or of course you can travel down at a sensible time the previous day & overnite in Southampton. Rail station is near coach station.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Some cruise lines, such as P&0, Fred Olsen and Cunard offer a dedicated coach service direct to the ship with numerous pick-up points but I don't know about Glasgow. That would be on the sailing day with a pick-up at daft o'clock, but if you take the cruise-line's coach its their responsibility to get you to the ship on time.

You don't have to make the long trip south, there are a limited number of cruises which sail from places like Rosythe & Newcastle.

Regrettably, although it would be great for recuperation a cruise is not available on the National Health :rolleyes:

JB :)

Thank you for all your information, we think we will go by car,

staying half way down at family for two days,then can stop and start

when we like,Have free car Parking at Southampton dont think I would like to sit in a bus allthat time. thank you again Jennifer:D:D:D:D

Jennifer- others have answered you better than I can, but I know that the coach we sometimes travel on leaves Penrith (on the M6) around 7am, and Glasgow is probably 2 hours earlier at least from there....and may well call in at Carlisle and other places, so it would be very early.

These days we either go by train, and stay at the Novotel next to the station, or drive, and stay at the Holiday Inn on the docks, which often offers free car parking for 15 days(as does the Novotel and others.).

Have a good journey, and a wonderful cruise! :)

Jo.

Thank you for all your information, we think we will go by car,

staying half way down at family for two days,then can stop and start

when we like,Have free car Parking at Southampton dont think I would like to sit in a bus allthat time. thank you again Jennifer:D:D:D:D

Hi Jennifer - does that mean you are joining us on the 17th March cruise to the Canaries on the IOS:) Rgds Lyd and Syd

Archived