Bus to Southampton

bloodymary

Sorry don't know about the bus, but I have another question.

Sorry to hear about your health problems, the same has happened to a friend who wants to cruise but is having trouble getting insurance .

who are you insured with and may I ask how much it cost

Weve used Royal Connections twice and have booked again for our next cruise. Weve joined at Newcastle so not sure if they start at Glasgow. It takes about 7 hours with a coffee stop on route. Its a long journey but very easy once on the coach you dont see luggage until its in cabin and the coach its self is air conditioned with toilet on board. The link is on RCI website it might be worth looking at as I really wouldnt use anything else now cant stand the hassle any more ..lol (PS I would NEVER travel by coach before until we tried this) .

Nat Express Coach

1. There's a direct National Express coach to Southampton coach station (not cruise terminal), departs Glasgow 8.15am, arrives Southampton 7.25pm. £69 pp. :)

2. Cheaper option (£49) at 11.10am involves an easy change of coaches at London Victoria coach station, with a 2-hour wait, gets you to Southampton at midnight.

These options of course mean over-niting in Southampton, but there are plenty of hotels for all budgets within easy walking distance of the coach station & City cruise terminal. Or a taxi to a central Southampton hotel, or hotel to any cruise terminal will cost no more than £8.

3. An overnight coach at £71 (10.30pm from Glasgow) also involves a 90 min wait at London Victoria & gets you to Southampton 10.15am. Plenty of margin for delays, so you could travel down to arrive on cruise day & avoid the need for a hotel, but rather you than me.

Quoted fares are one way, no concessions for seniors.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

By train

There's no direct scheduled service.

You have the choice of changing trains at Wolverhampton or London - Wolverhampton is easily your best bet since the change simply means waiting ten minutes on the same Wolverhampton platform, whereas London involves crossing central London from Euston to Waterloo.

Service is roughly every two hours, standard fare about £130, total journey time 6.5 to 7 hours.

1. The 05.50 from Glasgow gets you to Southampton at 12.41, in good time for cruise departures.

2. The 08.00 arrives 2.42pm - that should be OK for cruise departures, but allows no margin for delays.

3. Or of course you can travel down at a sensible time the previous day & overnite in Southampton. Rail station is near coach station.

Quoted fare is standard one-way, don't know the fare with railcard.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...journey/search

By cruise line transfer coach

Some cruise lines, such as P&0, Fred Olsen and Cunard offer a dedicated coach service direct to the ship with numerous pick-up points but I don't know about Glasgow. That would be on the sailing day with a pick-up at daft o'clock, but if you take the cruise-line's coach its their responsibility to get you to the ship on time.

By private taxi

Don't check the prices - don't want you to have a relapse :D

You don't have to make the long trip south, there are a limited number of cruises which sail from places like Rosythe & Newcastle.

Although it would be great for recuperation, a cruise isn't available on the National Health :rolleyes:

JB :)

National Express is the way to go.

Absolutely not. 11hrs by [National Express] coach, 7 hrs by a much more comfortable train. As JB already pointed out, change in Wolverhampton, relatively straightforward, and same day option available.

Dedicated bus leaves Glasgow about 3am and is silly money but they will hold the ship if any problems. Sometimes cruise price includes free bus or parking. Personally we prefer to drive.

There is a company which packages first class train from Glasgow or Edinburgh direct to the port side in Southampton, but its only certain cruises.

As others have said, I would go for the train via Wolverhampton. There is a cheaper bus (if you are a bit strapped for cash). Megatrain do a bus from Glasgow to London Victoria coach station for £5, but it takes 9+ hours (couple of times a day) and you have still got to get to Southampton (probably by NE bus for about £15). If you have the time and money, train via Wolverhampton during the day and stop in a hotel the night.

Simon

Archived