What's the deal with the tiger cub?

envirolawyer

I'm assuming this is true, so does anyone know why they have an endangered tiger cub set up for tourist pictures at this port? I'd like to know the story behind it (where's its mama) and what is going to happen to the tiger once it is grown (if it survives.) :confused:

We saw it last week and held it. It is being used to help raise money for a preserve/zoo in the area. There was no info about its mother; however, it will live at the preserve. Based on the pictures we saw, there are different large cat type cubs that have been used at the stand in the past. Before anyone gets upset about the people using a cub for such a purpose, the cub was well taken care of. It was given breaks. It was bottle-fed similar to how zoos handle orphaned animals. I do have a biology and zoology background. The cub was not mistreated based on what I saw. It was an incredible experience.

Thanks for replying, Luvdisney. I hope what they told you is true because it does make me feel better about the situation and visiting the port. I did see there are some nice preserves in Mexico so that makes me happy! I know people mean no harm and just want a picture with a cute tiger cub, but it is a fragile endangered species and many cubs die within the first year. So, based on my own knowledge of and love for animals, I personally would not have a picture taken to encourage the use of it in this fashion (even for a good cause), but to each their own. :o I do appreciate your response, though.

I respect your opinion too. I thought that might be your concern. I've done conservation work, more so with marine life, but I do have reservations at times with different things like these. With my DS 8, I used it as a teaching moment like one would with a zoo or an aquarium. I used his curiosity to remind him that we have to be good stewards of what we have and treat our resources and animals properly. We even talked about how endangered animals can make a comeback, although many do not. He loves math and science, so this type of thing was right up his alley. Have a great day.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived