Loose Gems and Gold by the Inch

amkras

Do they sell loose diamonds on the ship (I know they wouldn't be $10/karat)? Also, are loose stones duty free?
We've never bought loose stones. However, on the ship they have always talked about the value of buy the gems loose and having them set when you get home to save the duty. You may want to search through http://www.customs.gov for more information.'

Charlie

Actually, it is 18kt gold plated over another metal, according to the people that sold it on the Explorer of the Seas. And the loose stones are quite expensive to have mounted. The quality of the stones is pretty good, however.

A better idea is getting gold and loose stones at the ports of call. Many of the places that we have cruised to-Cozumel, San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau, etc., had cheaper loose stones--as little as $7 a carat. Cozumel in particular had incredibly cheap silver--including one place called the $10 silver store, which had a huge assortment of silver trinkets along the walls that were $10. [The center of the store had larger, more expensive pieces, including a sort of a necklace/ornament that I had trouble lifting...and it was about $300 or so].

The same is true of almost anything that you can buy onboard. The cigars are cheaper at the ports. The booze is cheaper. The jewelery is MUCH cheaper. :D

I know it's not "real" gold jewelry but they make good inexpensive gifts for kids back home.

As for the loose gems, I got 2 nice pieces on Adventure of the Sea last year and had a silver ring made out of one and a pendant for the other. Both look gorgeous. To me.

Archived