Port Canaveral?

RockerGirl

Hey everyone! We are sailing next Saturday on the Jewel, out of NYC. We have been to Florida (many times) and the Bahamas before, and have even left from Port Canaveral before on a different cruise. However, we have never had this as a port. We are there from 12-10, so we are quite confused as to what we should do. We would have liked to visit Disney or Universal for the day, but it seems like a lot of money for such a small frame of time. We are leaning toward Cocoa Beach, however, I cannot seem to find much info online on things to do there/places to eat. We would like to keep busy essentially the entire time we are in port, but there really does not seem to be too many options. We would like to start at the Ron Jon store - is there other can't-miss shopping nearby? How close are the pier and the beach? What restaurants would you recommend? We are in our 20s and would like a fun, beach-bar type atmosphere, not expensive, maybe with live music. TIA!!!

Thanks for the suggestions, but we are not into Kennedy Space Center at all. We are more shopping/dining/drinking/theme park people. If anyone knows, I would really like to know if Ron John is within walking distance or a short cab ride even to the pier and shopping. I am now considering an airboat and shopping excursion, which leaves you off in Cocoa Village. Does anyone know if I can get to Ron John's from here? (Hubby really wants to visit there). Also, has anyone ever done an airboat tour and was it fun? TIA!

You will be docking at the same place you departed on your cruise from Port Canaveral. There really isn't anything in walking distance. We were there last year and there was a free shuttle that would take you to the other big surf shop (can't remember the name). We took it, walked across the street to Ron Jon's, Walgreen's and then to the beach. The guys walked for a long time on the beach to find us some water and finally ended up at a 7-11. We found nothing on the beach to do, not even any chairs to rent. Ended up spreading out our towels and hanging out there for about an hour and then back to the ship. There are some fun restaurants/bars (Fishlipes, etc.) on the water near the port but I'm not sure they are open during the day or what they would have going on. You would need a cab to get to these areas also.

Archived