Breaking news: Costa Concordia in deep problems!

Topo Gigio

Wow! It's almost hard to look at! It just breaks my heart. It's hard to think about in this day an age, that something like this could happen. My heart goes out to all of those people. I hope they find comfort and peace.

I went on the Fascination in 2009, and they required you to meet up at your muster station and put on your life jackets. I hope this has not changed. =/ Too many people screw around during these drills. I was getting irritated because the people that were next to us kept talking over the instructor about how this wasn't "fun" and it should be on the "fun ship". It was so distracting at one point I had to move in order to hear.

That is a sickening sight. When I went to bed last night, the ship had been evacuated and was listing. I thought it was just sitting on the bottom. I never expected to wake up and find it had sunk! Just amazing. What a feeling for the captain to have to give the order to abandon ship.

As far as muster drills go. On my last cruise (RCI) we had to go to the muster stations and meet there, not in some lounge or indoor common area. Additionally, they're like fire drills. A real emergency is far from orderly. Families are scattered, people are drunk and/or panicked, lost and confused.

I wish everyone well.

This is beyond unbelieveable. I think it might be pretty bad in the end because the boats are pretty anal about manifests. If they're not there, they're probably not there. And you wonder if that number even counts crew.

No earthly idea how that happened where it happened.

I mostly cruise with Princess and we are ALWAYS told to put our vests on during the drill. I always take it seriously and I always try on my vest. This way you know for sure if any of the parts on the vest are broken so they can be replaced or fixed. Kathy

This is a good point...if the cruiseline doesn't make you wear the vest to the drill, at least get it out and try it on so you will be ready, in that slim chance you need it. I always check the closet to make sure mine is there, but I don't always try it on.

I would tend to think the ship is damaged beyond repair and will simply be cut up and sent to the salvage yard. Terrible news. What I find worse is that there's very little news about this being reported in the US. CNN did a 2 minute piece, maybe if it happened in the US we'd be hearing about it. If not for cruise critic, I would have never found out.

I do listen to the muster drill and on RCI last time I specifically remember them saying to go directly to the muster station and life jackets would be provided to those that don't have them.

On RCCL, they told us that they have enough life jackets for everyone on the lifeboats. However, that assumes you make it into the lifeboat. I always liked the idea of having them in your room, stored in compartments up on deck, and having them in the lifeboat. There should be plenty of them everywhere!

It's been on CNN all morning. They've talked with reporters on the scene and with some of the passengers.

I was a bit irked by the report of the dancer and her discussion with her boyfriend who was an engineer on ship. If true, the Captain has some explaining to do.

So sad....cruised aboard the Concordia 2009. Beautiful ship with a great crew. A tragedy!

Passengers embark and disembark at each port sometimes, therefore, some drills were not held for each new group...that will probably change. We had a wonderful time and I do like Costa. Prayers extended to all!

So sad! I can't even imagine the fear that the passengers and crew endured during this tragedy. I'm in disbelief that something like this could happen in this day & age, but I am sure an investigation will go underway soon & answers will be brought to the passengers & crew. People take muster drills for granted & think it could never happen to them.. Well this makes one think otherwise I'm sure.

Early reports were an electrical fire. Odd. The Concordia is a sister ship to the Splendor.

The Splendor was supposed to be a Costa Concordia Class ship... that's why she's one of a kind.

If you recall, the Splendor had a major electrical fire a little over a year ago.

If there was a fire and fear of sinking one might understand that running the ship aground would be a reasonable thing to do...

I don't think there was a fire however one report I read said the ship was actually further out way offshore when it hit something. The captain turned the ship toward land knowing the closer it was to land more lives would be saved. Even if he was at fault for the incident, he surely saved some lives by getting closer to land.

My brother-in-law is the Senior Salvage Master for Titan Salvage and is flying to Italy now with a crew to try and save the ship. This is so sad. It's amazing to think that something like this could have happened in 2012. Thoughts and prayers go out to all the families involved.

My educated guess is that it will cost a few hundred millions usd to make it operational again IF they save the ship. The good thing is the ship is close to one of the Fincantieri shipyards where she was built.

Archived