Breaking news: Costa Concordia in deep problems!

Topo Gigio

Costa has just issued a statement saying "significant human error" and naming the captain as at fault. Not the typical corporate spin job - they must have some pretty good evidence against him and just want to distance themselves from him.

Here is one news link

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iJ5p1WSederzbOtj0ZFoq4RNfAFg?docId=6ff5170a60f9402e8dd99e870de3774e

Coast Guard officers later spotted Schettino on land as the evacuation unfolded. The officers urged him to return to his ship and honor his duty to stay aboard until everyone was safely off the vessel, but he ignored them, Coast Guard Cmdr. Francesco Paolillo said.

Schettino insisted he didn't leave the liner early, telling Mediaset television that he had done everything he could to save lives. "We were the last ones to leave the ship," he said.

Questions also swirled about why the ship had navigated so close to the dangerous reefs and rocks that jut out off Giglio's eastern coast, amid suspicions the captain may have ventured too close while carrying out a maneuver to entertain tourists on the island.

The ship's owner, Costa Crociere SpA, issued a statement late Sunday saying it "seems that the captain made errors of judgment that had very grave consequences. The route the ship followed turned out to be too close to the coast, and it seems that his decision in handling the emergency didn't follow Costa Crociere's procedures, which are in line, and in some cases, go beyond, international standards."

Quote from the Guardian: " The vessel is expected to be out of service for the remainder of our current fiscal year if not longer" (Micky Arrison)

So looks like she will be back in the fleet somewhere in the future!

Be careful with that. In the beginning they were saying the Splendor would be out of service for a couple of weeks.

It's Micky Arrison words. but 10-11 months sounds realistic to me.

If after a thorough evaluation shows it's economically feasible, but yes.

I'm trying to remember how long the Princess ship that had the fire was out of service. I'm sure it was just a few months. This shouldn't take much longer although there is more work to do, if more resources are available that shouldn't be an issue.

We just got off of the Splendor yesterday. On Saturday around 5:00 PM the captain came on the PA system to announce the accident and asked everyone to observe a moment of silence. His voice was shaking and he sounded very upset.

If after a thorough evaluation shows it's economically feasible, but yes.

I'm trying to remember how long the Princess ship that had the fire was out of service. I'm sure it was just a few months. This shouldn't take much longer although there is more work to do, if more resources are available that shouldn't be an issue.

Exactly. Once they float it they will know better. The problem isn't just the hull, it's that firtually half the ship is/will be underwater for who knows how long.....don't rule out scraping.....

Here's my question? How many people would be willing to cruise that ship. Our family is going on the Dream next month and would not consider changing our plans, but I don't know if I'd be will to sail that ship in the future.

They have very little North American business, and I don't know what the typical European sensibilities would be. They've no problem filling the Splendor (above the soft west coast market) and the Fire Princess (see, I can't even remember which ship it was) sails full.

Quote from the Guardian: " The vessel is expected to be out of service for the remainder of our current fiscal year if not longer" (Micky Arrison)

So looks like she will be back in the fleet somewhere in the future!

has something this larged ever been raised? :confused:

We just got off of the Splendor yesterday. On Saturday around 5:00 PM the captain came on the PA system to announce the accident and asked everyone to observe a moment of silence. His voice was shaking and he sounded very upset.

Hello up North..just so sad to think of the pressures the Captain has to keep to certain time limits ..mixed with risks for human safety and if he got caught in the middle because of several errors as per the Captains scenarios I posted earlier and it really is his fault; how scarey it could have been for the Captain of the Splendor..the other ship just like his fellow Captain....thanks for sharing..Sarah

has something this larged ever been raised? :confused:

I read somewhere they use giant bladders that are filled with air to bring the ship back on an even keel. I would think that would be a huge undertaking. I would be more concerned with any storms on the horizon though...it wouldn't take much to break the ship up against the rocks. What a waste and what a mess.:(

I read somewhere they use giant bladders that are filled with air to bring the ship back on an even keel. I would think that would be a huge undertaking. I would be more concerned with any storms on the horizon though...it wouldn't take much to break the ship up against the rocks. What a waste and what a mess.:(

I keep wondering if they can partially fix that gash and then float it out and to the port??...But I know ZERO about it...so sad..Sarah

I keep wondering if they can partially fix that gash and then float it out and to the port??...But I know ZERO about it...so sad..Sarah

That would be the plan. However Monday morning it shifted a couple of times causing fear she might slide into deeper water and sink altogether. No clue if they could or if it would be worth salvaging if that happened.

I'm curious - what did the captain say? Did he just say the ship capsized and left everyone wondering how bad it was? Or was he reassuring by mentioning the incredible survival numbers? I think that it was good he mentioned it. You know people would have found out on their own, and this puts everyone in the loop.

This is along the lines that I've been thinking. Four thousand people got off that ship, one way or another, in the dark. That's a pretty fast debarkation ;) And that little town was suddenly inundated with lots of unexpected guests. The whole thing is pretty amazing.

Interesting. Hopefully the whole truth will come out. I read a report where the capt was on the island and was being encouraged to go back to the ship, because of how it looked for him to be on shore with guests on the boat.

People can be idiots. I can see a passenger yelling "Where's the Captain??" The next one saying "Hey, the Captain isn't here!!" And before you know it he was on a Japanese mini-sub that torpedoed the ship.

Thanks Big Duck...and no doubt a very valid one on many points too...with 4000 people and all pandemonuim there were many heros we have left to hear about and idiots taping unnecessary details..Sarah

The ship will be gutted, cleaned up and reused. The part of the ship that takes longest to build is the hull, plus there is a lot of steel in the making of that, the hull will be reused.

If the ship was scrapped, they'd still have to build a new ship. With the Concordia, they have something to work with.

The cabins are modular- they'll remove them and put new ones in, electrical and other stuff will be replaced and the ship will fine.

Archived