Costa Ship grounded or sinking

cdamion

Just heard the report on BBC World News (airs at 12:30 am on local PBS station). This is only speculation on my part as they didn't specifically say this, but the way they laid out the sequence of events seemed to imply that the ship began listing and taking on water first and then may have been intentionally run aground on that little island. They spoke with a crew member over the phone who said he had jumped overboard when the ship was still 400 m away from shore.

Yes, it does appear that the Captain intentionally grounded the ship after she was already damaged. She was not scheduled to stop at that island.

The whole thing is very sad (and should be a wake-up call for those who skip muster drills...).

Apparently, it didn't take very long for the ship to list to this degree. So terribly sad. My prayers to those lost and hurt, as well as the survivors. There were many positive factors, the most of which was the ship's close proximity to land and the speed of evacuating the ship. It will be interesting to follow this and see what went wrong.

Hello All

Very sad day for the world of cruising

Thoughts and prayers to the families of the poor folks that have lost their lives.

However many many questions need to answered.

Crew are reporting passengers paniced people were crushed as croweds

pushed their wat down the stairs.

Panic at the life boats folks trying to jump onto them.

OK none of us know how we will deal with something like this, but for those that think muster is a joke think again.

Then there is the speed of the sinking the ship listed within minutes to the point that life boats were very hard to launch,

this is one reason the captain set a coarse for the tiny harbour,

better to sink in shallow water than deep better chance for all onboard.

as to the cause it hit rocks OK but how did this happen, we will learn the truth in time,

modern ships are still ships remember 100 years ago we thought things like this could not happen.

yours Shogun

very sad day for the cruise industry and cruisers in general ,a 2006 super cruise liner state of the art technology.lying on her side in a calm med ,

panicing staff and passengers ,pushing everyone to a extent of me first ,what happened to muster drill .

theres folk on here like me who were on the star p when she caught fire and not one person was seen to be pushing others aside with the me first attitude just the opposite passengers helping each other and reassuring each other .

my thoughts go out the the folks who sadly lost lives today.

thats 2 itallian cruise ships this week that have run aground.

time for answers to basic questions WHY

Hello All

Very sad day for the world of cruising

Thoughts and prayers to the families of the poor folks that have lost their lives.

However many many questions need to answered.

Crew are reporting passengers paniced people were crushed as croweds

pushed their wat down the stairs.

Panic at the life boats folks trying to jump onto them.

OK none of us know how we will deal with something like this, but for those that think muster is a joke think again.

Then there is the speed of the sinking the ship listed within minutes to the point that life boats were very hard to launch,

this is one reason the captain set a coarse for the tiny harbour,

better to sink in shallow water than deep better chance for all onboard.

as to the cause it hit rocks OK but how did this happen, we will learn the truth in time,

modern ships are still ships remember 100 years ago we thought things like this could not happen.

yours Shogun

It will be interesting to hear what happened and the onboard sequence of events. The fact that people move at different speeds can be an annoyance sometimes; when combined with panic ...

Just heard the report on BBC World News (airs at 12:30 am on local PBS station). This is only speculation on my part as they didn't specifically say this, but the way they laid out the sequence of events seemed to imply that the ship began listing and taking on water first and then may have been intentionally run aground on that little island. They spoke with a crew member over the phone who said he had jumped overboard when the ship was still 400 m away from shore.

So the question might be, why did she start taking on water initially. :confused: If she lost power and the navaids were out, she could have drifted onto / into some rocks, but I'd guess it would have taken a major impact to spring her hull welds (a la Titanic).

Ok, enough speculation.

Hi All

Please check out these pics,

there is a massive rock stinking out of the side of the ship,

other pics not on this site shoe scrap looks like rock ripped along the side then went into the ship then got stuck amazing pics.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4061067/Cruise-ship-sinks-news-Eight-die-on-Costa-Concordia.html

yours Shogun

It could certainly have been much worse, they were only yards from land. Even I could swim that if needed.

It is sad to see her on her side and the fatalities are hard to swallow, cruising is such a safe way to travel in general. Our thoughts go out to the affected families.

We had just heard on our news that 6 people have been killed or missing. Apparently quite a few panicked and jumped overboard. It apparently happened around 9pm after leaving the port of Savona.

I do feel for everyone on board as it would be a frightening experience.

Jennie

Panicked or did the smart thing?

The ship is a stones throw from shore.

My question is "how do you know the water is deep enough to jump?"

Gramps

How frightening this must have been for the passengers, particularly children and the elderly or those with mobility issues (who would have difficulty with no elevators funtioning to navigate stairs and get to open decks). My thoughts and prayers go out to all passengers and crew.

I would imagine that the implications to Costa and the parent company will be significant.

This is the part I don't understand, why were muster and emergency procedures not completed prior to departure. One report stated that muster was put off until today so as not to interfere with dinner Friday night:eek:.

"The evacuation drill was only scheduled for Saturday afternoon"

Archived