Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

In early reports there was a discussion about a dining room manager being the reason the captain wanted to sail so close to the island, I think it said the manager was from the island.

I don't put a whole lot of credibility in anything the captain says including this latest statement baring some type of corroborating evidence.

Whatever happened to "presumed innocent until proven in court to be guilty"?

Amanda Knox was in an Italian jail 4 years, TV reporters kept saying the Italian Justice system is totally different, much more stringent.

I would think the Coast guard tapes would be enough to hold him in jail.

Well , you're a lot closer to Italy than I am , is that how it works there ?
If you've been charged with a criminal offence, you have a prima facie right to be at liberty (ie on bail) before your trial. This can only be displaced if there are good reasons for believing that in that specific case the individual's release would jeopardise some important public interest. Typically, this will be on the basis that he might abscond, interfere with witnesses or with the investigation, or commit other criminal offences.

The fact that there's lots of good evidence against him and the offence is serious is not enough to take away his liberty at a time when he is still presumed to be innocent.

If there are risks, but you can manage the risks by means other than keeping him in custody, then those means should be used. That's why he's under house arrest; it's not like he's free to roam the streets and then disappear.

Amanda Knox was in an Italian jail 4 years, TV reporters kept saying the Italian Justice system is totally different, much more stringent.

I would think the Coast guard tapes would be enough to hold him in jail.

Very of topic but Amanda Knox was originally convicted of the murder which was why she was in jail. She was released following the successful appeal of her conviction.

By NBC News and msnbc.com news services

Updated 11:05 p.m. ET — Officials from Costa Crociere SpA met with consumer activists Thursday in an attempt to work out what could be a blanket compensation deal for uninjured passengers who were aboard the cruise ship that capsized off Italy's coast, AP reports.

The deal being discussed would apply to 3,206 people from 61 countries who suffered no physical harm when the Costa Concordia hit a reef Jan. 13 after the captain made an unauthorized maneuver that brought the enormous ship too close to shore.

The offer would take into consideration the price of the ticket, any costs incurred in getting home after the disaster, the cost of items lost aboard the ship as well as damages for the ruined vacation and trauma resulting from the accident, said Furio Truzzi of the consumer group Assoutenti.

The offer would not apply to the hundreds of crew aboard the ship, the roughly 100 cases of people who were injured or the families who lost loved ones. Sixteen bodies have been recovered since the ship hit a reef carrying 4,200 people, with another 16 people still missing and feared dead.

"We are working for a collective transaction to come up with a value for damages," Truzzi said. "Each passenger can decide if this proposal is satisfactory. If it is not, they are free to react through a lawyer."

Truzzi said it was premature to discuss exact amounts of compensation. He said it would be an average and that any passenger who deemed his or her losses greater than the offer was free to counter the proposal.

"We will not close any doors," he said.

Costa has said it was in the process of reimbursing tickets and immediate expenses. Truzzi said those reimbursements did not preclude any future legal action on the part of those who were shipwrecked.

He said Assoutenti would work separately on a proposal for those who lost loved ones in the disaster and were also open to working with members of the crew if they came forward.

Truzzi said any damages agreed with Costa would be in addition to insurance policies taken out by passengers before embarking. He said 91 percent of the passengers had such policies.

Seems like progress is being made

B

" said any damages agreed with Costa would be in addition to insurance policies taken out by passengers before embarking. He said 91 percent of the passengers had such policies."

Just wondering how they can say payment/settlement would be in addition to insurance....... What control do they have over insurance? How are they planning to bundle payment to pax so they can receive both? ( wouldn't the insurance see that as double dipping and refuse to pay?

" said any damages agreed with Costa would be in addition to insurance policies taken out by passengers before embarking. He said 91 percent of the passengers had such policies."

Just wondering how they can say payment/settlement would be in addition to insurance....... What control do they have over insurance? How are they planning to bundle payment to pax so they can receive both? ( wouldn't the insurance see that as double dipping and refuse to pay?

I'm kind of thinking the same thing - moreover how does Costa know that 91% of their passengers have insurance :confused::confused:

Unless all the passengers bought their insurance (highly doubtful), the cruise lines have no idea if each passenger has travel insurance or not:confused:

Does anyone know if the Titan Salvage team is still at the sight or if they have given up this project?

Not yet - there is still a lot to determine as this is the biggest ship ever wrecked. Apparently even Costa is unsure whether to salvage or cut it up.

here is the latest for you KK on that - http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/01/27/us-italy-ship-salvage-idUKTRE80Q0Q220120127

I wonder whether something has been lost in translation.

Reuters refers to them as groups. The deal it seems is 11,000 Euros to be paid within a week plus refund of the cruise and medical and transportation expenses if they agree to forgo future lawsuits etc. This would apply to uninjured pax.

Reports suggest "foreigners" may be less likely to accept the offer.

I think in cases like this pax (some of them at least) have visions of million dollar settlements in their heads. We shall see.

Reuters refers to them as groups. The deal it seems is 11,000 Euros to be paid within a week plus refund of the cruise and expenses if they agree to forgo future lawsuits etc. This would apply to uninjured pax.

I think in cases like this pax (some of them at least) have visions of million dollar settlements in their heads. We shall see.

I don't think that they need millions of dollars - but some of these people could be pretty tramautized - there is no way for the company to know everyone who is 'injured'. Physically maybe, but not mentally. I don't know what a fair amount is, in all honesty. It's hard to judge as I wasn't there but hearing some of the horror stories of some passengers and what they experienced, i am wondering if it really is sufficient.:confused:

Not yet - there is still a lot to determine as this is the biggest ship ever wrecked. Apparently even Costa is unsure whether to salvage or cut it up.

here is the latest for you KK on that - http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/01/27/us-italy-ship-salvage-idUKTRE80Q0Q220120127

Thank you Kazu -- sure is going to be a tough decision.

I think what you mean is that it's the biggest "Cruise Ship" ever wrecked.;)

As I understand it, the MT Haven was one of the biggest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MT_Haven

I guess it's the biggest to try to be salvaged though, but I digress, I'm splitting hairs.

Mark...

I was listening to the Today show -- $14,000 US -- doesn't seem much to me considering what all those people have gone through and go through for the rest of their lives.

That wouldn't even pay for the jewelry of some of the passengers, let alone clothes, cameras, other personal effects and "pain and suffering." The proposed settlement is a joke.

That wouldn't even pay for the jewelry of some of the passengers, let alone clothes, cameras, other personal effects and "pain and suffering." The proposed settlement is a joke.

the settlement is on top of replacing personal effects as i understand it. But how do you prove you have all those personal effects and you know they are going to be depreciated

Reuters refers to them as groups. The deal it seems is 11,000 Euros to be paid within a week plus refund of the cruise and medical and transportation expenses if they agree to forgo future lawsuits etc. This would apply to uninjured pax.

Apparently this offer is in line with the limits of carrier liability as detailed in the Athens Convention which is the international agreement on these matters. Similar to the Warsaw/Montreal convention covering air travel. I think the terms are buried deep in the small print of cruise contracts.

I agree that some of the passengers will consider it an insufficient amount for what they went through. I think that the fall out of the disaster will be keeping lawyers in work for several months if not years!

I have already seen articles concerning American lawyers wanting the cases, presumably involving Americans, heard in US courts rather than abroad which I assume would be in Italy.

You got that right!!

So many people have computers, note pads, fancy cameras and fancy cell phones -- and we haven't even talked about jewelry, clothes and other personal items.

Archived