Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

It's also being reported that the captain and most of the crew abandoned ship before all the passengers had left, which if true is pretty disgusting. I recall another cruise ship incident about 10 to 20 years ago, in which the caption and senior officers were the first to abandon the ship, I think it was a Greek crew at that time, but maybe an Italian crew, not sure though.

This is NOT TRUE!!:mad: Those that don't go to muster/safety drills are the people who won't have any idea what to do in a real emergency and will waste the crew's valuable time as they panic and the crew has to deal with them as opposed to doing their regular safety duties. In other words...you miss drill, fire breaks out, instead of knowing where your liferaft is and calmly going you grab the first crew member you see with a lifevest on DEMANDING they help you (and ONLY you!) to get you and your family to the muster station you should have known about the first day of sailing! Meanwhile that crew mwmber can no longer be at the stairs to help direct the rest of the passengers or help the elderly or handicapped....all because someone was to SELFINVOLVED to go to muster....after all, it can't hurt anyone but themselves!!

While you personally may not miss drills I couldn't waste this opportunity to make sure EVERYONE reading these posts knows how extremely important it is for EVERYONE onboard to attend these drills.....EVERY TIME!!!:D Rant over..:rolleyes:..for now.

Couldn't agree with you more SakeDad.

On our last cruise (ms Amsterdam) during the muster, we happened to have a few couples in the front row that decided it was a

get-acquainted party and talked loudly amongst themselves during the whole exercise depriving the rest of us of the information given.

Under "lifeboat #4" and you probably have no clue who you are! :rolleyes:

This was my 6th cruise and I always take the drills seriously.

A very sad event indeed. Hopefully the rest of the missing will be accounted for, alive and well. Also that some lessons can be learned from this tragedy.

It's also being reported that the captain and most of the crew abandoned ship before all the passengers had left, which if true is pretty disgusting. I recall another cruise ship incident about 10 to 20 years ago, in which the caption and senior officers were the first to abandon the ship, I think it was a Greek crew at that time, but maybe an Italian crew, not sure though.

That ship was the Achille Lauro..... the same ship that is well known for the horrid hijacking.

A fire was the cause of her sinking in 1994.

OMG I just found out:(. My prayers to all involved. I read a report that lists 69 missing. Makes you wonder about how smart delaying the life boat muster to the following day was. Also questions about delays from the bridge to load lifeboats and no mayday. Sounds like massive problems on the bridge.

John

I remember on our first cruise which was on the Costa Fortuna, the muster drill was held on the morning after we had sailed from Port Everglades. So we had sailed for over 12 hours without instructions...we didn't think anything of it because it was our first cruise.

Never happenend again on the other companies that we will took afterward. Guess Costa will have to revise their way to have Muster before sailing

That ship was the Achille Lauro..... the same ship that is well known for the horrid hijacking.

Yes that's right, it was the Achille Lauro, and if my memory serves me right the Captain was put on trail for that.

Yes -- Greek Ship -- Greek Captain - Greek crew -- they were all of the ship before the passengers were off and the ship sank.

I remember that incident very well.

I have flipped to Canadian News (CBC) as they are usually pretty accurate. apparently the emergency evacuation was very chaotic. Magician ran from the stage when they felt the hit.

We probably won't know what really happened for a couple of days - but boy, this is awful.

The daughter being interviewed of the Canadian couple who were onboard said that they were now in Rome and Costa was paying for their hotel and expenses.

I believe you are talking about the Andrea Doria sinking - more like 50 years ago? Same controversy except I think it was two ships colliding. Google will tell us both quickly.

I remember on our first cruise which was on the Costa Fortuna, the muster drill was held on the morning after we had sailed from Port Everglades. So we had sailed for over 12 hours without instructions...we didn't think anything of it because it was our first cruise.

Never happenend again on the other companies that we will took afterward. Guess Costa will have to revise their way to have Muster before sailing

The early Italian and Greek ships I had cruised on used the "life boat drill" more as a photo op than for any other purpose so we could purchase funny photos of ourselves in bulky life jackets. Yes, I also recall they were held quite a bit later than right at departure.

Add the Andrea Doria back in the 1960's (?)to the list of controversial Italian crew conduct matters. Close to the time airlines finally took over transcontinental travel and probably in no small measure due to that great se tragedy.

What a tragedy and also inexcusable. Bottom line is that there is no excuse for running aground in those waters which are well marked and known to all cruise ship Captains (but apparently not Costa's). The US Embassy just announced there were about 130 Americans on board and none of them suffered serious injuries. I guess the Captain deserves some credit for quickly getting this ship into a port which made rescue somewhat easier.

Hank

Just checked the Carnival Corp website. No press releases yet. IMO, either they don't know yet or they're scared and trying to figure out how to respond or they don't care. Makes you wonder....

John

CCL stock is registering this event so it has been noticed as a "corporation" problem - down 2.24% so far today. CCL has some explaining to do.

What a horrible tragedy!!

Just learned of it this morning. Prayers for all involved. Thanks to Seago for the very informative link.

We recently sailed the Noordam transatlantic from Civitavecchia and sailed near to these same rocks, as our first port of call was Monaco. Of course, we attended the drill before sailng as HAL always does. Never thought that something as awful could happen in this part of the Mediterranean.

It's not just Costa. When we sailed on the Statendam from Seward to Vancouver our life boat drill was the next morning, about 14 hours after departure. We took it on ourselves to know where our life boat was, but I'm sure many newbies didn't have a clue where to go in an emergency.

Archived