Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

According to the news release below from CNN, the captain has been arrested for abandoning the ship.

The captain of a cruise ship that ran aground off the coast of Italy -- killing three people and injuring 20 others -- has been arrested, a local prosecutor said Saturday.

He is being investigated for manslaughter and abandoning ship.

The 4,200-passenger Costa Concordia, owned by Genoa-based Costa Cruises, hit bottom Friday night on a sand bank off the island of Giglio.

Not all passengers have been accounted for.

THank you for this news.

Speared "through and through", no. Punctured, us. We can't tell if it is a through hole.

On some of the other pics, the port side stabilizer is out, forward of the hole. Don't know if that means the stablizer was deployed to try to keep the ship upright after hitting the reef, or was the ship doing open sea speeds and just didn't "see" the island. The investigation will tell. But note if a ship drops below 5 knots, the stabilizers are retracted, and have to be manually overridden to keep them out.

As for the captain heading towards shallow water.

I can remember a few years ago when we had a fire on the Statendam while we were in Alaska. It was down in the Silos.

Our captain announced that until the fire was completely out, we would be hugging the shore line for the next several hours. He said that if he had to, he could beach the ship and it would only be about a 10 minute tender ride to shore.

A Captain who kept his guests and crew calm. icon14.gif

A Captain who kept his guests and crew calm. icon14.gif

That's right!!

DH was in the bathroom at 5:30 AM getting ready to go to the gym and I was in bed reading when the alarms went off.

He ditched the idea of going to the gym -- I got dressed -- and once again emptied the safe and grabbed the medicine bag -- had everything ready -- just in case.

Also just heard that Captain left the ship before some of the passengers, crew was confused and appears Captain really messed up , no call to Coast Guard ( according to CNN)

And where was the first officer , second officer , navigation officer , security officer , officer of the day , cadet officer , lookout , etc etc .

Not a battery operated VHF radio among them ? Or a cell phone ? They were only a short distance from land , thankfully , the way they mismanaged the evacuation . You can't wait for the ship to fall over before you launch the lifeboats because by the time the ship lists 45 degrees it is not physically possible to launch the boats . Ubelievable tragedy in 2012 not 1912 !

OMG, the plot thickens. This is going to be a corporate nightmare. I'm still concerned that everyone got off the ship, and with the angle of the ship the way its being shown by the media, it would be difficult to crawl up the passageways towards the dry side of the ship.:(

The costa thread is now reporting that the captain has been arrested by Italian authorities. They are apparently looking into manslaughter and abandoning his ship.

This seems ridiculous to me as the man likely saved the lives of over 4000 passengers. I guess it's standard to do this, but wow.

The costa thread is now reporting that the captain has been arrested by Italian authorities. They are apparently looking into manslaughter and abandoning his ship.

This seems ridiculous to me as the man likely saved the lives of over 4000 passengers. I guess it's standard to do this, but wow.

It's not ridiculous if he abandoned the ship before all the passengers were off. Not only should he be charged, his career is ruined and he will be forever known as a coward. "IF" this is all true of course.

Speared "through and through", no. Punctured, us. We can't tell if it is a through hole.

On some of the other pics, the port side stabilizer is out, forward of the hole. Don't know if that means the stablizer was deployed to try to keep the ship upright after hitting the reef, or was the ship doing open sea speeds and just didn't "see" the island. The investigation will tell. But note if a ship drops below 5 knots, the stabilizers are retracted, and have to be manually overridden to keep them out.

Bruce,

Stabilizers would not be deployed to keep the ship upright. For the fins to work there needs to be a flow of water over them to provide 'lift'... just as an aeroplane wing does... same principle.

What appears to have happened is that the stabilizers were out in normal operation but the vessel turned suddenly to starboard in between two pinnacles of rock. The stabilizer missed the rocks but the stern, slewing to port, struck the rocks.

Look at the photo and chart of the grounding position on www.seanews.com.tr

Quite easy to see where it all happened. The courses etc are tracked and recored. What is not apparent is why the ship made the first alteration of course towards the island instead of staying on the mid channel course. I just hope it was not a case of the captain going 'sightseeing'.... passing close to the island to show the passengers. I sure hope not.

Stephen

It's also being reported that the captain and most of the crew abandoned ship before all the passengers had left, which if true is pretty disgusting. I recall another cruise ship incident about 10 to 20 years ago, in which the caption and senior officers were the first to abandon the ship, I think it was a Greek crew at that time, but maybe an Italian crew, not sure though.

It was a Greek Ship: MTS Oceanos (owned by Empiriotiki Lines) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTS_Oceanos

.........MTS Oceanos was a French-built and Greek-owned cruise ship which sank off South Africa's eastern coast on 4 August 1991. Launched in July 1952 by Forges Chantiers de la Gironde in Bordeaux as the Jean Laborde, it was the last of four sister ships built for Messageries Maritimes. The ships were used on the Marseilles – Madagascar – Mauritius service. The Jean Laborde underwent several name changes including Mykinai, Ancona, and Eastern Princess; finally, in 1976, it was registered in Piraeus, Greece, under the name of Oceanos..................Captain Yiannis Avranas was accused by the passengers of leaving hundreds behind with no one other than the ship's onboard entertainers to help them evacuate. Avranas claimed that he left the ship first in order to arrange for a rescue effort, and then supervised the rescue effort from a helicopter. Avranas stated, "When I give the order abandon ship, it doesn't matter what time I leave. Abandon is for everybody. If some people want to stay, they can stay.".........

I'd post it all here, but it is rather extensive.

Joanie

Topsham, I have seen many of the pics. My theory- only a theory- is that if a deliberate grounding due to some other emergency was the plan, could the stabilizers be used as a support to possibly keep the ship as upright as possible to allow for evacuation.

Only the investigation will reveal all the facts.

CBC has just now announced he's been arrested as well for abandonning ship among other things - dh came down to tell me he has been promoted to the captain of the prinsendam:rolleyes:

another link for those interested. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/14/costa-concordia-disaster-_n_1206167.html?ref=canada&ir=Canada

No matter how you slice, dice it or fry it, this is just horrendous.

the truth will come out eventually, but this is just awful

It was a Greek Ship: MTS Oceanos (owned by Empiriotiki Lines) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTS_Oceanos

.........MTS Oceanos was a French-built and Greek-owned cruise ship which sank off South Africa's eastern coast on 4 August 1991. Launched in July 1952 by Forges Chantiers de la Gironde in Bordeaux as the Jean Laborde, it was the last of four sister ships built for Messageries Maritimes. The ships were used on the Marseilles – Madagascar – Mauritius service. The Jean Laborde underwent several name changes including Mykinai, Ancona, and Eastern Princess; finally, in 1976, it was registered in Piraeus, Greece, under the name of Oceanos..................Captain Yiannis Avranas was accused by the passengers of leaving hundreds behind with no one other than the ship's onboard entertainers to help them evacuate. Avranas claimed that he left the ship first in order to arrange for a rescue effort, and then supervised the rescue effort from a helicopter. Avranas stated, "When I give the order abandon ship, it doesn't matter what time I leave. Abandon is for everybody. If some people want to stay, they can stay.".........

I'd post it all here, but it is rather extensive.

Joanie

That's the ship I was thinking about -- I didn't think it was the Achile Lauro (?).

Is it my imagination or does the photo show that the ship was literally speared through and through by that huge rock??

Joanie

To me, and we all know what an expert I am:eek:, it looks like the rock broke off inside the ship...

But, who knows....

Topsham, I have seen many of the pics. My theory- only a theory- is that if a deliberate grounding due to some other emergency was the plan, could the stabilizers be used as a support to possibly keep the ship as upright as possible to allow for evacuation.

Only the investigation will reveal all the facts.

The thought of a deliberate grounding has been running through my mind too - and the collision with the rocks was secondary to the primary need which may have been get this ship close to shore for some unknown reason at this time, but known to the chain of command on the ship.

Chilling is learning the lessons from the Titanic and the list of the ship preventing the launching of life boats is still a very problematic concern as this event shows.

Who knows which way or how far a ship will "list" to secure lifeboat launching from any possible degree. Those jet-powered launch escape craft on oil tankers may be the only way to get off some ships once they tip the "wrong way".

However, during our life boat lectures they do reassure us that lifeboats will be able to be released regardless of listing.

Just imagine what Costa's costs are going to be:

Hotels for everyone

Basic clothing for everyone

Medications for people

Food for the people

Getting new passports and documents for people

Getting people home -- planes, trains, etc.

All the future cancellations for this ship

Divers

Coast Guard protection

What else?

Archived