Stuck in 1A Cabin stories

PDsandman01

I've seen where many cruisers have booked 1A cabins in hopes of upgrades as have I. I was wondering if anyone had any stories of being stuck in the "bunked cabins," or maybe even getting upgraded. On the Fascination, there are only about 20 1A cabins, which, I figured if there were 20 open cabins above that, we had a good shot at upgrading. :)

I've never booked anything other than a 1A guarantee status BUT I am very aware that 1A is all I am entitled to, and I could care less where I end up. Also, 1A cabins will vary from ship class to ship class. For example, on Imagination I booked and was assigned a 1A which consisted of one twin bed on the floor and a pullout twin from the wall--room has lots of floor space and is fine for one or for two friends traveling. My Victory 1A had one twin on the floor and a sofa trundle bed that converts to a twin bed--again a great room for one or for two friends. All my other CCL cruises were on Spirit and/or Conquest class ships and the 1A's were two twin beds that could be converted to one bed if desired.

As others have suggested only book the category you can readily accept and if an upgrade comes along at the last minute, enjoy!! Just don't expect it. :)

I traveled as a single cabin with other family members. Hubby wasn't comming on this trip. I booked a 1A cabin to only pay 100.00 more than dblb. otherwise it would have been double the price. I was willing to except what ever I got. I ended up with an inside room on the main deck with 2 twins that could convert. (inspiration) so I guess I got upgraded and it worked out fine.

just my 2 cents

Has anyone been upgraded after having an assigned 1A cabin? My TA assigned us a cabin after I told him I wanted guarantee. Then when I asked for it again, he said there were no more Guaranteed 1As available. BUT, he said there was a chance I could get upgraded. We can be fully happy with 1A but I was just curious to know who'd been upgraded. He said that I could ask at the pier. I don't think I like this guy. :(

Tell me about the 1A category. Looking at the Elation and could pick one of the them--have a choice on several decks. Going with my daughter--two twins would be fine. What are the other non-desirable aspects?

The descption I got was on the Fantasy Class ships, that the room had bunk beds(twin with pullman overhead). The room is a little bit smaller on square footage...I think 160ft instead of 186??? Not sure. Other that that, it's the same cabin. It would be a good cabin for mother/daughter. Definately more cost/quality compared to 4A. We saved over $100 on the 1A vs 4A.

Tell me about the 1A category. Looking at the Elation and could pick one of the them--have a choice on several decks. Going with my daughter--two twins would be fine. What are the other non-desirable aspects?

http://www.virtualtoursusa.com/tours/carnivalinspiration/interiorul.htm

This link will give you a virtual tour of that cabin. The upper bed is raised during the day, which gives you lots of floor space. I stayed in one on my first cruise, and had plenty of space. Enjoy your cruise and your cabin, even if you do not get upgraded. You will be fine. :)

Thanks, that is really a help. I was visualizing the typical bunk--one bed on top of another. But it looks like they are in an "L" configuration with the higher bed only a little higher than the other. This would be fine for my daughter and myself. I am not as sure for my parents who are 75 and 80 years.

I booked a 1A assigned rooms on our last cruise for everyone. That was on Inspiration, 6 of us, three rooms. E181,183,185...........I did it so we could be on the Empress deck for a great price. Noone minds the bunk beds in my family and we were all couples.....(you can do in one bed the same thing as two beds), if you know what I mean. The thing I just love about a 1 A is the bathroom is not by the door where you enter the room..............this makes the room seam so much larger. For an inside room I'd rather do a 1A then a regular inside. But that s just me, DH would, of course prefer a balcony anyday ....which we will finally have on the Legend 4/06. For the first time..............I never knew about the military discount and wow what a difference in price. So balcony it is. Trisha

I booked a 1A on the Paradise, going solo, so no big deal... The carnival website shows the bunk bed style... I don't know about being "stuck" with it, I chose it, and i'm fine with it... "IF" a upgrade is given to me fine, if not i'm fine too....For someone cruising solo like me, I just want ON the ship, and the best price possible.... 20 more days!!!:D

I booked a 1A on the Paradise, going solo, so no big deal... The carnival website shows the bunk bed style... I don't know about being "stuck" with it, I chose it, and i'm fine with it... "IF" a upgrade is given to me fine, if not i'm fine too....For someone cruising solo like me, I just want ON the ship, and the best price possible.... 20 more days!!!:D

The only upgrade I would want over a 1A, is oceanview for a solo traveler. I have stayed in 1A and 4A cabins, and I'm telling you, there is more floor space in the 1A cabin. The top bed stays up unless you are in need for it. I did not have the extra room when there were 2 beds in the cabin. That is the only difference I saw, and I have been on the Paradise twice, in 1A and 4A. Location on the deck would be the only reason for me to change to a 2 bed inside room. JMHO.

Archived