The arrest of the captain is very shocking

Shippy

I'd wait for more extensive news reports (and better translations) before jumping to conclusions. All we really know so far is that the ship hit rocks, and the captain managed to get it closer to shore before giving the "Abandon ship" order--an action that probably saved lives.

Whether the captain bore any responsibility for the accident is only conjecture at this point.

I'd wait for more extensive news reports (and better translations) before jumping to conclusions. All we really know so far is that the ship hit rocks, and the captain managed to get it closer to shore before giving the "Abandon ship" order--an action that probably saved lives.

Whether the captain bore any responsibility for the accident is only conjecture at this point.

we know the Italian authorities are stating that the captain did NOT issue any type of mayday / distress signal until evacuations were well underway...wow.

And we also know, from many firsthand eyewitness accounts, that the evacuation was handled very poorly, the crew seemed unprepared etc etc.

I often litigate maritime law issues, I have 25 years experience with one of the most prominent maritime law firms in the country...and this is shaping up to be a disaster for Costa.

That's hard, physical evidence about the captain failing to timely issue a mayday to the authorities...

I think they have more than good reason to arrest the captain: On a route that has been traveled continuously for 3 months, they were 2.5 miles off course right next to a lighthouse in good weather. The captain is certainly responsible for this.. and I bet more officers will be arrested before it's done.

Another interesting question is why are ships allowed to delay the safety drill 24 hours? This was the first night out and the drill was scheduled for the second day!

Another interesting question is why are ships allowed to delay the safety drill 24 hours? This was the first night out and the drill was scheduled for the second day!

According to martime law, a muster drill must be performed within 24 hours of the ship leaving port.

Studies have shown that on the first day passengers concentration for something like a muster drill (which is compulsary to attend) is very low, they are tired from travelling, embarkation, want to unpakc and go to dinner. The next day passengers are relaxed and the attendance will be much higher than if held the first day.

Ron

THe CNN article on line that I read said he was being investigated (which of course he is) not that he was arrested.

Directly from most recent CNN article:

Rome (CNN) -- The Italian captain of the cruise ship that ran aground -- killing three person and injuring 20 more -- was arrested late Saturday and is being investigated for manslaughter and abandoning ship, said a local prosecutor in Grosetto, Italy.

you have an official report showing any of this?

Directly from most recent CNN article:

Rome (CNN) -- The Italian captain of the cruise ship that ran aground -- killing three person and injuring 20 more -- was arrested late Saturday and is being investigated for manslaughter and abandoning ship, said a local prosecutor in Grosetto, Italy.

That is exactly what I heard on CNN a short while ago.

Maybe this is the way Italy does things -- make arrests -- and then ask questions?

We have sailed on Costa before & love the cruiseline.

It is shocking to hear that a captain would abandon his ship like that.

I thought that only happened in story books.

Unfortunately we don't know what the term abandoning ship means. It could mean that he left the ship, it could mean that he ordered the passengers off, it could mean that he gave up trying to save the ship itself. None of us really know.

we know the Italian authorities are stating that the captain did NOT issue any type of mayday / distress signal until evacuations were well underway...wow.

And we also know, from many firsthand eyewitness accounts, that the evacuation was handled very poorly, the crew seemed unprepared etc etc.

I often litigate maritime law issues, I have 25 years experience with one of the most prominent maritime law firms in the country...and this is shaping up to be a disaster for Costa.

That's hard, physical evidence about the captain failing to timely issue a mayday to the authorities...

Huh? You must not be the lawyer. Paralegal, maybe? The only fact is that it is a disaster for Costa. Everything else is speculation at this point.

I have no side in this other than to shake my head when I see such wildly erroneous posts. While some or all may eventually be proven, It is far too early to know anything with certainty. Any decent investigator ...lawyers included, know that.

It's been on all the Italian TV news this evening: Captain Schettino and his first officer have both been arrested and are confined in the Grosseto prison. The charges are involuntary manslaughter, wrongful shipwreck, and abbandonment of the ship while passengers were still on board.

ditto to the above. Media are reporting - Captain arrested, no may day until evacuation procedures were well in place (and these are reported as been delayed), ship miles off course no ideas why, captain abandoned ship by jumping over board before evacuation complete. Also more worrying is the muster practice is only done once per week on a costa vessel, although people were boarding at most ports, although a short video apparently was shown. This is reported in the media, so might be speculation, but the captain getting arrested for manslaughter is fact.

There are two aspects of this accident I find confusing.

1. Did you notice in those photos how close to the waterline that gash and imbedded rock were? This is not a case of a ship drawing 26 feet finding an uncharted pinnacle 25 feet deep. I suspect we'll find that they either almost ran into shore, or at least a well charted reef.

2. If the impact and hull breach was on the left (port) side of the ship, how did it end up sinking right (starboard) side down?

Either way, this is a very sobering event.

Huh? You must not be the lawyer. Paralegal, maybe? The only fact is that it is a disaster for Costa. Everything else is speculation at this point.

I have no side in this other than to shake my head when I see such wildly erroneous posts. While some or all may eventually be proven, It is far too early to know anything with certainty. Any decent investigator ...lawyers included, know that.

Italian authorities have been directly quoted in several news souces saying that the Capt did not issue a mayday prior to the abandon ship decision.

CBC / Canadian news interviewed the 2 Canadians from the ship, they are now in Rome and they said when they showed up at the muster station with their life vests the crowd was dispersed by the crew and told to go back to their cabins. They ignored directions and stayed and were lowered in a life boat a short time after the direction to return to cabin was given. Sounds pretty messed up.

Actually, the opposite appears to be the case. If he had abandoned ship straight away, they could have lowered all the lifeboats and got everyone off in an orderly manner. Instead, after hitting the rock (and dragging it along with them by the looks of the damage it's done to the hull), by the time they reached this island, the ship started to list badly and they couldn't launch the lifeboats. Consequently, people jumped into the water in panic, including one 70-year-old who died of a heart attack, and goodness knows how many more people were trapped on the side it went down.

Whether it was the captain, or a senior officer to blame for hitting the rock, ultimately, it is down to the captain to safeguard his passengers, and abandoning ship himself before they were all off is a dereliction of duty - the Italians say he and another officer have been detained and are facing manslaughter charges.

So, I guess we can jump to conclusions.

Archived