Italians showing off???

bazzaw

Did you not see the question marks after the words??

Perhaps you could then explain in better words what a huge cruise ship would be doing so close to rocky shores at night ?? Bear in mind that the video is of a Costa ship performing this manoeuvre at some time in the past.

Perhaps the heading should have been - ITALIAN ship passing close-by to rocky shores at night -- followed by question marks????

Barry

The video sadly shows that COSTA CONCORDIA has, in the past, come very close inshore near Giglio for 'sightseeing' purposes. The courses recorded on the AIS seem to indicate that is exactly what has happened this time. There could be no other reason for altering course to come inshore as they did.

I think the video is extremely interesting....shows that this ship apparently buzzed the island of Giglio at least once in it's past....and even honking the horns apparently in celebration....it will be interesting as more somes out if this was a common occurrence....the ship is traveling at a good speed very close to shore in the video.

Why did you mention the fact that it's an Italian ship

Because it is

why suggest it is showing off

I can think of no other reason why it has done what it has done - can you??

This gives readers the impression there is something wrong or questionable with Italian ships.

Readers can form their own impressions.

Barry

Video of a Costa ship doing a VERY CLOSE-IN night time pass of Giglio Island!!!!!

http://video.corriere.it/nave-concordia-al-giglio-/9dfa5ea6-3e9b-11e1-8b52-5f77182bc574

Barry

Of all the noise and speculation, Barry, I think you've found the single most relevant piece of evidence. Clearly at least "some" of the captains on this ship have a habit of doing "fly-bys" at Giglio.

I think the prosecutors in Italy would be VERY interested in having a look at this video. Good catch!!

Thanks for posting the video; it was fascinating and "showing-off" may be the explanation for the Concordia's accident.

Regarding some posts that question why refer to the nationality of the show-off; I wonder if it being an Italian ship in Italian waters with mostly Italian passengers might lead an Italian captain to take chances that a Norweigan or British captain would not take in Italian waters (but might in his own home waters). It's all pre-mature speculation, but it might explain someone taking risks. In this case I expect that we will learn that a mechanical or environmental explanation is the reason the Concordia was so close shore--but this video supports human factors as more likely than I had first thought.

"Italians showing off" ? Certainly seems perjorative to me , especially since I'm Italian .

Are we implying that Italians are stupid or they are foolish , you know , that's how those

Italians are , silly show-offs ! Is that the idea ?

Or is the poster just an "Australian posting" ?

Other than that the post did provide good information .

You can read into things anything that you want.

IF it had been a British ship coming within a mile of the Needles on the Isle of Wight, at cruising speed blaring it's horn to capture the attention of people on the island -- the heading of my post would have been "British showing off????"

Italians are not the only Nationality who can "show off"" -- but perhaps they do have a greater propensity to do so??? or not????

Barry

"Italians showing off" ? Certainly seems perjorative to me , especially since I'm Italian .

Are we implying that Italians are stupid or they are foolish , you know , that's how those

Italians are , silly show-offs ! Is that the idea ?

Or is the poster just an "Australian posting" ?

Other than that the post did provide good information .

It is more of a case of CRUISE SHIPS SHOWING OFF. They all do it at some time or other... Showing Off I mean. Most of the time it is done in a perfectly safe manner and the ships are never put in any risk. This time I fear those conning the vessel were perhaps taking a risk or two too many and the ship has come to grief.

No Captain would risk his career to 'show off' his cruise ship by traveling close to shore. The ships charts and systems are recorded and those in charge would want some answers if they did get that close to shore. Not to mention the coast guard would do to that Captain.

I believe the sounding of the ships horn in the video was to warn smaller boats in the area. This video could be taken because a Costa ship accidentally was too close to shore.

Keep in mind that a magnified telephoto shot can make objects appear closer than they actually are, so without knowing more about the photographer's vantage point and camera, we really can't determine if this video clip shows the ship only a few hundred yards offshore or not.

as living in Newport RI, i frequently see cruise ships approaching our harbor and also "dropping anchor", the vantage point that i have seen ships coming thru the "passage" does give the 'illusion" of being very close to land, that being said, i am not familiar with the Italian waters which the vessel travels....but the video does seem to indicate that this has been done before....

PLEASE keep in mind that life was lost on this and that we should PRAY for all those soles...

Archived