Italians showing off???

bazzaw

I am of course saddened by the terrible events.....that said, the events made me think back to voyages I have taken to try to get a glimmer of a notion how this can happen....

I was on Oceania, i think it was the regatta...the previous rennaissance ships....embarked out of venice to eventually disembark in lisbon...one night, i believe it was after leaving portofino...during dinner we all heard the ships whistle blaring....we asked our servers in the dining room what was going on...."oh, we are near genoa, the captain is from genoa, he likes to say "hello" to his family"....i got up, looked out the window, and indeed we were relatively close to shore and I accepted the staff's explanation without really thinking that the captain was taking any undue risk...i trusted i was safe....

my anecdote points out a couple of interesting things.....

1. captains do things out of the ordinary....bordering on being a cowboy culture..

2. the crew accepts that there is no undue risk and that this was sop

3. we trust without question the competency of these professionals in an industry mostly self regulated....flagging vessels where there is the lowest regulatory cost

that's exactly the action dw said to me this morning that he would take.

bruce ismay 100 years later.

J Bruce Ismay was not the captain of the Titanic, he was the chairman of the board. After the collision he helped load lifeboats and boarded one as it was being loaded, and there was no-one else in the vicinity to get on the boat. He was blamed, I believe unfairly. By the way, he did not take his own life, but his life was virtually ruined because his reputation was ruined. He also blamed himself for the loss of life.

This video has been shown on TV and the newspapers have expressed similar sentiments to the OP.

After reading posts on this thread I am astounded after this tragedy and the loss of life, that people are complaining about the OP's title on the thread and the long discussion on whether he is racist or not.

Of course, generalisations about any Nationality are never completely true - but there is always an element of truth in them, otherwise they wouldn't exist at all. I am sure we can all think of certain generalities or traits commonly attributed to different nationalities. We here in Australia are often regarded as uncouth sons and daughters of convicts - that is of course not completely true, but there is some truth in it. The difference these days is that it is not compulsory to be a convict to come and live in this country. The ones who are genuinely descended from convicts now regard themselves as the creme de le Creme of Australian society :rolleyes:

Barry

Barry, the USA got the religious fanatics and Oz got the convicts. You got the better part of the deal.:D

Aus Traveller

You are correct & obviously know the TRUE story of Bruce Ismay.

He helped on the boat deck of Titanic from before they started lowering the boats until the last boat was sent away on the starboard side.

As you said - he & an American guy that had also helped were allowed into the last boat as there were no passengers or crew there to fill places in that boat.

The British inquiry should be read before making any comment on the Titanic sinking. What people think they know is often incorrect.

He was too much of a gentleman to argue against the lies printed in the Hurst press. After leaving White Star he worked in an insurance office settling claims.

I am sorry that the above post is a duplicate of one I posted earlier. Here is the correct link.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

Jennie

Jennie thanks for posting this article :).It seems very informative. Next is the formal inquiry of the Capt .Then we should know more:rolleyes: .

Thanks again

Barry, the USA got the religious fanatics and Oz got the convicts. You got the better part of the deal.:D

:D:D:D

Have never thought of it that way.

It was only a very small sheep that my GGGG-Grandfather from Ireland stole - honest!!

Barry

Despite claims from the company that the Concordia never before passed less than 500m from Giglio, the Daily Telegraph has posted this video taken last August showing it passing 230m.

The company, frankly, is lying in this case.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022442/Costa-Concordia-passed-230m-from-Giglio-during-previous-salute.html

My thoughts exactly, he was on the phone with HQ, worrying about his job, why did HQ not send out a mayday, and then question him of not doing so. I think Costa should be charged with something as well.

And the password is ....... "Mayday " and no one got it . on the phone with the home office for what ? 30 minutes , an hour ? and no one had the sense to mention Mayday ?

And supposedly , the man he was on the phone with was I believe "head of emergency

operations " or something like that ?

" Hi boss , we hit a big rock , and the ship is flooding , what do you think , should we chat here on the phone for awhile ?" " Maybe we go to the next stop for repairs ?"

"The coast guard , yes they're here , but don't worry I told them we just popped a circuit breaker , have you tried the lamb ?"

I can't wait til that phone call is released , should be the end of the Costa brand.

Despite claims from the company that the Concordia never before passed less than 500m from Giglio, the Daily Telegraph has posted this video taken last August showing it passing 230m.

The company, frankly, is lying in this case.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022442/Costa-Concordia-passed-230m-from-Giglio-during-previous-salute.html

That's the same footage as post No 1

Archived