Carnival cruise lines does NOT own Costa

TWELVEOHONE

Carnival Corp & plc

Well, since hairs are splitting in this thread... I believe Carnival plc based in Southampton, UK operates Costa Cruises Group, not Carnival Corp based in Miami, Florida although it is legally a dual traded company. It is commonly referred to as Carnival plc or "Carnival UK". Costa Cruises Group (Costo Crociere SpA), which is part of Carnival Corp & plc, has executive control and essentially operates Costa Cruises.

Further the point, Carnival Cruise-line was the name for Carnival Corp prior to the creation of the parent company"Carnival Corp" to separate the brand from the company, which in retrospect... doesn't really..

Costa Cruises Group, acquired by Carnival Corp (US), was essentially transferred to Carnival plc (UK) after the merger with P&O. Costa Cruises Group, operates AIDA Cruises (transferred by Carnival Corp to Costa Group), IberoCruceros and Costa Cruises..

So, I guess Costa Cruises Group is in the same situation with "sharing a name" with the cruise-line brand as Carnival Corp & plc does with it's flagship brand and the resulting image issues by ownership/relationship.

Carnival Corporation & plc is the parent company and will get most of the blame but this is not Carnival cruise Lines no more than it is Princess Cruise lines with is also a subsitary of Carnival Corportion.

When the suites start they will be against Costa and Carnival Corporation plc NOT Carnival Cruise lines.

From Carnival Corp's statement: "The company has insurance coverage for damage to the vessel with a deductible of approximately $30 million as well as insurance for third party personal injury liability subject to an additional deductible of approximately $10 million for this incident. The company self-insures for loss of use of the vessel. "

If they (Carnival Corp) self insure for loss of use of the vessel does that not mean that they are taking the hit on this aspect of the loss, and not their insurers?

Chump change. CCL's shares on the FTSE fell nearly 18% today. That is billions wiped off. More to come...........

This tragedy is neither Carnival Corp nor Carnival Cruise Line's FAULT. If the media is accurate (and I take all this with a grain of salt...) the fault lies with the captain for his "party foul" in driving the ship closer to the shore than he was supposed to, to impress tourists.

Will Carnival Corp pay? ABSOLUTELY. Their employee committed negligence, so Carnival Corp is responsible by association. Plus Carnival Corp has far deeper pockets than the captain. Much more "fun" to sue.

Human error is to blame (poor judgement).

Many prayers to all involved, particularly the families of those tragically lost.

I cannot believe some of the comments that I am reading over on the Carnival board. People actually defending the cruise line. Unbelieveable. I'm starting to think that some people's IQ actually goes to the negative range.

No reason not to defend the cruise line...Costa...Carnival. Ultimately the cruise LINE had nothing to do with it.

No reason not to defend the cruise line...Costa...Carnival. Ultimately the cruise LINE had nothing to do with it.

I'm talking about the way the cruise line has responded since the accident and yes they have full responsibility but some of the people on the Carnival board feel that they have done just fine even though we had a first hand account from a regular CC poster on board the ship. So YES the cruise had something to do with this. It's called responsibility but go ahead and raise your pom-poms too.:rolleyes:

I cannot believe some of the comments that I am reading over on the Carnival board. People actually defending the cruise line. Unbelieveable. I'm starting to think that some people's IQ actually goes to the negative range.

You are missing my point and have been, read this:

Carnival Cruise Lines had nothing to do with this tragic accident. No more than Princess or Holland America, so why are they getting negative publicity? Because the media is reporting Costa is owned by Carnival Cruise Lines in Miami, which is not true. Costa is an independent subsidiary of Carnival Corporation, much like Carnival Cruise Line and Princess and Holland America and Cunard and so on and so forth.

Wanna blame someone? Blame Costa. Blame Carnival Corporation. But the ships sailing the Caribbean with a red whale tail funnel had nothing to do with this or the aftermath.

Carnival Cruise Lines should be defended they have nothing to do with it.

This is like blaming Ford for the fires with GM's Volt. They are both automobles but they are different companies. Carnival Cruise Lines and Costa are both cruise lines but different companies with different officers and staff.

Before you go off on the deep end, Lincoln, Ford, Mercury are not different companies but different divison under Ford. Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland American, Princess Cruise lines are bnot division but different companies with different officers and staff.

It used to aggraivate me when people would Tell me Frito-Lay was owned by Pepsi , which was not true , And I realize this has nothing to do with the Carnival thing . But in the Frito case Frito and Pepsi merged to make Pepsico which is the parent company , I guess much like CCL is the Parent company Carnival is just a brand of that company

I don't think it is the same situation. Frito-Lay is a divison of Pepsi corp while Carnival Cruise Lines is a subsitary of CCL

Originally Posted by TWELVEOHONE

Because Carnival Cruise lines is NOT Carnival Corporation. If you want to blame Carnival Corporation for not doing more that may be appropriate but blaming a Carnival Cruise line is wrong. Why not blame Pricess or Holland America, they are in the same boat as Carnival Cruise lines, an independent subsidary of Carnival Corporation..

You are talking semantics and being completely ridiculous. The corporation, which includies all of its entities are to blame.

I agree that the corporation will take the blame but not the subsitaries.

If you want to blame Costa for all that has happened and the parent company, Carnival Corp &plc you would be correct but lets stop tainting Carnival Cruise Lines they had nothing to do with this any more than Princess, Hoilland America, which are all subsitaries of the parent company

You are missing my point and have been, read this:

Carnival Cruise Lines had nothing to do with this tragic accident. No more than Princess or Holland America, so why are they getting negative publicity? Because the media is reporting Costa is owned by Carnival Cruise Lines in Miami, which is not true. Costa is an independent subsidiary of Carnival Corporation, much like Carnival Cruise Line and Princess and Holland America and Cunard and so on and so forth.

Wanna blame someone? Blame Costa. Blame Carnival Corporation. But the ships sailing the Caribbean with a red whale tail funnel had nothing to do with this or the aftermath.

I'm not missing anything. On the Carnival board you agreed with another poster that Costa was doing everything they could during this ordeal. I'm smart enough to know who owns what. Again, go wave your pom-poms somewhere else.:rolleyes:

Costa is nothing more than the Carnival Cruise Lines of Europe. They are an entry budget cruise line just like her sister Carnival.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Carnival and Costa are two different cruise lines. In fact Carnival Cruise Lines has its own ships sailing in Europe.

Costa and Carnival Cruise Lines do not share anything except the same parent company, they do not share marketing, budgets, office personel, crew, etc. They are two distinct companies under the same umbrella.

Ok - so, by your logic, should any of us be in a similar situation on any of the cruise lines (including Carnival Cruise Lines) owned by Carnival Corp, we should not be surprised to see the same lack of action/response by the parent company.

Have I properly stated that to agree with your argument?

Should that quell any of the negativity toward "Carnival" at this time?

Howard

No, Carnival Corp should have respsponed but not Carnival Cruise Lines.

Carnival Cruise Lines should be defended they have nothing to do with it.

This is like blaming Ford for the fires with GM's Volt. They are both automobles but they are different companies. Carnival Cruise Lines and Costa are both cruise lines but different companies with different officers and staff.

Before you go off on the deep end, Lincoln, Ford, Mercury are not different companies but different divison under Ford. Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland American, Princess Cruise lines are bnot division but different companies with different officers and staff.

This may make the point.. Should a car manufacturer like Toyota Motor Corp be responsible for the product failures and subsequent legal action from it's brand Lexus? How about Scion? Maybe-maybe not however the name Toyota would be impossible to separate from responsibility in most peoples minds.

CCL (the parent corp/holding company) carries the insurance per their required statement made today:

That makes it abundantly clear that there is a solid financial line between the two companies, because you can't insure something you don't own.

The ownership of Carnival Cruise Lines is the same.

Bottom line is "Same pants, different pockets."

Well now lets see, I live in a house that is part of a condominimum association. The association takes out fire and liability insurance for all the homes in the community even though I own it not the association.

It all comes down to who will take responsibilyy. In my case the association takes responsibilty for fire and liability so they take insurance to cover themselves

Carnival CORP takes some responsibilty for all its subsitaries so it takes out insurance. Carnival Cruise Lines has no respnsibilty for anything associated with Costa

They are separate legal entities. Costa's corporate name is Costa Crociere, SPA. Costa controls Carnival's European companies: Costa, AIDA, and Ibero.

Carnival Cruise Line looks to manage itself.

Other brands' corporate names:

Holland America Line, Inc.

Princess Cruise Lines, Ltd.

Carnival UK operates P&O, P&O Australia, and Cunard

This is the simplified version (for example there are at least 3 different corporate entities just for different parts of Holland America)

Carnival Corporation is parent to all of them.

This is exactly correct, they are all seperate entities.

I'm not missing anything. On the Carnival board you agreed with another poster that Costa was doing everything they could during this ordeal. I'm smart enough to know who owns what. Again, go wave your pom-poms somewhere else.:rolleyes:

I recall saying later that the Corporation said they were doing things and I presumed they were doing them. What's wrong with that assumption? I am not a cynic who doubts everything.

Out of the thousands of people who got off the vessel, very few are complaining about the after-care they received. Is it possible they missed people? Absolutely.

But it's tough arguing with someone who knows everything and will attack someone they don't even know because they know they're right. So I am stopping.

BTW, I am no cheerleader. You will find my posts all over the Cruise Critic forums and have been an active poster on the Costa board since Friday night, as I am sure other posters will attest.

This may make the point.. Should a car manufacturer like Toyota Motor Corp be responsible for the product failures and subsequent legal action from it's brand Lexus? How about Scion? Maybe-maybe not however the name Toyota would be impossible to separate from responsibility in most peoples minds.

I remember back in the 70's, Olds was running short of engines and started putting Chevrolet engines in Oldsmoblie. It was a PR nightmare.

:)

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Carnival and Costa are two different cruise lines. In fact Carnival Cruise Lines has its own ships sailing in Europe.

Costa and Carnival Cruise Lines do not share anything except the same parent company, they do not share marketing, budgets, office personel, crew, etc. They are two distinct companies under the same umbrella.

Twelveohone,

The parent company is regrettably named Carnival Corporation. So, yes, some people will, wrongly or rightly, connect the two.

You are very passionate about this one aspect and I don't know why, but I think until all the victims have been accounted for, and the environmental concerns, hopefully, put to rest, the general public will not have a glowing view of the industry as a whole. We've already seen Royal Caribbean take a hit on the stock exchange in Europe. Should they blame Carnival Corporation for having an incompetent at the helm at Costa and infecting their stock value?

I just pray that the fuel can be removed from Concordia before a major environmental incident occurs. If that happens, it could depress interest and increase blame in what many people view as an under-regulated industry.

I just don't think we can extricate one cruise line from another when it comes to public perception right now nor do I think it the most important thing we should focus on for the foreseeable future.

This tragedy is neither Carnival Corp nor Carnival Cruise Line's FAULT. If the media is accurate (and I take all this with a grain of salt...) the fault lies with the captain for his "party foul" in driving the ship closer to the shore than he was supposed to, to impress tourists.

Will Carnival Corp pay? ABSOLUTELY. Their employee committed negligence, so Carnival Corp is responsible by association. Plus Carnival Corp has far deeper pockets than the captain. Much more "fun" to sue.

Human error is to blame (poor judgement).

Many prayers to all involved, particularly the families of those tragically lost.

If--as has been reported--sailing off course and close to shore has been ongoing and CCL was aware of it but chose to look the other way, then it is just as much their fault as the foolhardy captain's.

They are all run as a separate entity,

just like Pepsi own KFC, but it is a separate company.

Pepsi spun off KFC, Pizza Hut, Wing Street and Taco Bell. Now it is YUM, I imagine Pepsi is still the biggest holder of the stock still.

Well now lets see, I live in a house that is part of a condominimum association. The association takes out fire and liability insurance for all the homes in the community even though I own it not the association.

It all comes down to who will take responsibilyy. In my case the association takes responsibilty for fire and liability so they take insurance to cover themselves

Carnival CORP takes some responsibilty for all its subsitaries so it takes out insurance. Carnival Cruise Lines has no respnsibilty for anything associated with Costa

Where did I say they did?

I remember back in the 70's, Olds was running short of engines and started putting Chevrolet engines in Oldsmoblie. It was a PR nightmare.

:)

I remember that...

I worked at a Ford dealer in 2000 and was witness to the disaster of the Firestone Tire fiasco. Ford Motor Company was ultimately held responsible for the failure of the Firestone tires that were equipped on many of it's brands' vehicles, most notably the Ford Explorer.

Although Ford did not manufacture the tire itself, Ford took alot of the blame and criticism for the failure....

Archived