Costa Concordia Unrecoverable

trintrav

Even if she is scrapped, I don't see her being scrapped where she currently lies, I think they are gonna have to salvage the vessel and get it out of there regardless of their ultimate plans for her.

Why? This ship is massive and it would take forever to scrap her on her side in water.

I think they will offload everything possible where the ship lies. Everything from the hotel portion--soft goods, kitchen equipment, anything not nailed down. I suspect that they will also pump off all fuel, sewage, grey water, hydraulic fluid, and remove as many passenger effects as they can.

At that point I expect they'll haul the hull to the nearest shipyard or salvage facility for further inspection and final determination.

I do think it is possible to save the ship, but it would be a monumental effort. I've seen ship salvages before, but none on a ship this large.

As far as an earlier post, a lot more than upholstery would need replaced. Everything that was under salt water - electrical systems, plumbing, fixtures, bulkheads, etc - would have to be replaced. Since staterooms in modern cruise ships are manufactured as pods and installed, they will probably have to completely replace them. Without completely replacing them, mold will become a problem.

My money is on this ship sailing again. I have seen many other ships who I thought would never sail again be totally refurbished and enter service again. I also think that she will sail for Costa but with a different name. Time will tell but I am betting she will be in service within the next two years.

I would think that this ship will be restored and will sail again. What will be considered is the cost or replacing vs the cost of repairing and also the time involved for each project. If restoration could be completed in a shorter window of time it will begin to produce revenue as soon as it's back in the water. For that reason - even if the restoration cost was actually more expensive it may be the best option. The loss of revenue because it's not sailing will be a huge factor. Just my thoughts.

Keep in mind that cost of replacing will be based on depreciated value, not full replacement cost. Based on a 20 year amortization and not taking into account the cost of money, the ship is probably worth 65% of the original cost to build.

The insurer (and their re's) will look at the total cost of loss, which also takes into account business interruption cover, the cost of managing a large and intricate claim, salvage costs and scrap profit, less the deductibles and determine which way they will pay out. Costa will not have a choice in the matter.

I suppose it also depends on the turnout of the investigation. If it is error of the crew or uncharted reefs or something to that effect, people would probably sail on it. If it is a mechanical or technical issue with the vessel which contributed, less people would likely sail on it. If they completely gutted the ship down to just a shell, and completely rebuilt it as a new ship, that may be the best option. I wouldn't want to scrap a 6 year old, 115,000 GT ship.

As people say, it also depends on what happens with regards to insurance too.

Louis Cruises "Sapphire" in her former life - spent 3 months underwater before being brought to the surface and restored.

Ocngypz,

Thank you for your knowledge and contribution to the thread. The Sapphire appeared to have sunk on the Amazon, fresh water, rather then in salt water like this ship. I too, believe that she will one day sail again, as there is a good size market for ships that aren't the latest and greatest. I do however, reverentially, stand by that the ship will be declared a total loss just as the Sapphire was declared a total Constructive Loss. Not saying, she will not be purchased and refurbished by another line.

Respectfully yours,

-Tutankhamen

I hope that however they remove the ship from it's current position that someone takes a lot of photos and videos and sets up a blog. I find the whole subject of ship salvaging fascinating and would enjoy watching the progress on this project.

Nobody has answered the question that's been asked several times in this thread: will the passengers get some of their belongings back?

I'm thinking about items like jewellery--I'm assuming that everything else--clothing, electronics, papers--will be unrecoverable. But jewellery, and perhaps money (?) might be. I know I'd hate to lose the stuff that I routinely leave in my stateroom safe. (Aside: insurance claims for said stuff will be a real pain in the neck, I'm guessing.)

RCL's Monarch of the Seas took a 130 ft x 6.6 ft hole, started sinking and was intentionally grounded on a sandbar.

She was repaired... and still sails today.

She was never on her side with 65% of the ship breeched with salt water.

Nobody has answered the question that's been asked several times in this thread: will the passengers get some of their belongings back?

I'm thinking about items like jewellery--I'm assuming that everything else--clothing, electronics, papers--will be unrecoverable. But jewellery, and perhaps money (?) might be. I know I'd hate to lose the stuff that I routinely leave in my stateroom safe. (Aside: insurance claims for said stuff will be a real pain in the neck, I'm guessing.)

I'm not holding my breath. I'm guessing that Costa will make a half hearted effort to reunite passengers with belongings, but I suspect there will be a lot of pilferage along the way.

Yes I wonder when the looting will begin and how will they be able to stop people from this?

Prosecutor has control of the ship right now. I don't think they would take kindly to looters. Also, not so easy to sneak on board right now. Who knows once it is released back to Costa/the Salvagers. It would still be obvious if somebody is trying to board.

Insurance will end up paying for passengers' belongings, once that happens, the belongings will essentially be the property of the insurance company.

I really hope some effort will be made to reunite passengers and crew with their personal belongings but I wouldn't hold my breath... :(

(No basis for this) but I suspect she'll be salvaged, completely redone, and transferred to another Carnival Corp. subsidiary (perhaps in Australia or somewhere else a distance away from Italy). I'd feel very confident saying that nobody will ever again sail on Costa Concordia as "Costa Concordia."

Would you sail on a ship that had already sunk once?

If the insurers indemnify Carnival Corp's losses, then the ship will be sent to Alang for scrapping.

You can rest assured that Carnival Corps' bean counters are working on ways to avoid the lose of income and prevent CCL's shares to dive on Tuesday.

A message of abject sympathy from the missing Micky Arison might be a good idea.

Perhaps he is otherwise employed?

Prosecutor has control of the ship right now. I don't think they would take kindly to looters. Also, not so easy to sneak on board right now. Who knows once it is released back to Costa/the Salvagers. It would still be obvious if somebody is trying to board.

Insurance will end up paying for passengers' belongings, once that happens, the belongings will essentially be the property of the insurance company.

Not so fast.

If it is determined that there was a criminal act by the officer(s) then the insurer can invoke the criminal act clause and refuse payment of all claims related to the incident.

Passengers with travel insurance will be able to submit a claim with them.

Passengers with decent homeowners cover might be able to file a claim against that, subject to deductible.

Of course all claims will be based on depreciated value, not replacement value, regardless. So if you had a mink coat and a suitcase full of designer duds that cost you $30K at a chi-chi boutique, you're probably looking at a check for maybe $6K--if you're lucky.

Louis Cruises "Sapphire" in her former life - spent 3 months underwater before being brought to the surface and restored.

Ocngypz,

Thank you for your knowledge and contribution to the thread. The Sapphire appeared to have sunk on the Amazon, fresh water, rather then in salt water like this ship. I too, believe that she will one day sail again, as there is a good size market for ships that aren't the latest and greatest. I do however, reverentially, stand by that the ship will be declared a total loss just as the Sapphire was declared a total Constructive Loss. Not saying, she will not be purchased and refurbished by another line.

Respectfully yours,

-Tutankhamen

A better comparable situation would be Louis's Cristal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Cristal Although change was casued by fire

As stated earlier by myself, I surmise that the ship will not be refurbished by CCL. As times goes by, I am becoming more confident that the ultimate demise of the ship will be scrap.

Huge hole in the hull on the port side.

Being that the ship is listing at an angle I also assume that a good bit of the Starboard side has major damage and getting worse as the tides and waves wreak havoc. I would gather that the starboard side is resting on rock.

50% or more of the electrical system would need replacement.

Engines would need to be replaced or at best completely overhauled.

Plumbing system is probably a mess and would need extensive refurbishment.

The list goes on.

Respectfully yours,

-Tutankhamen

As stated earlier by myself, I surmise that the ship will not be refurbished by CCL. As times goes by, I am becoming more confident that the ultimate demise of the ship will be scrap.

Huge hole in the hull on the port side.

Being that the ship is listing at an angle I also assume that a good bit of the Starboard side has major damage and getting worse as the tides and waves wreak havoc. I would gather that the starboard side is resting on rock.

50% or more of the electrical system would need replacement.

Engines would need to be replaced or at best completely overhauled.

Plumbing system is probably a mess and would need extensive refurbishment.

The list goes on.

Respectfully yours,

-Tutankhamen

This is what I thought, and there are pics of damage of her starboard side

If the insurers indemnify Carnival Corp's losses, then the ship will be sent to Alang for scrapping.

You can rest assured that Carnival Corps' bean counters are working on ways to avoid the lose of income and prevent CCL's shares to dive on Tuesday.

A message of abject sympathy from the missing Micky Arison might be a good idea.

Perhaps he is otherwise employed?

I can't imagine that they don't carry business interruption cover that would handle the loss of income.

If I were Costa I'd be more worried about the huge fines and criminal charges they might be facing.

And I agree about Arison, if he doesn't come forward with a statement in the next 6 hours, I imagine CCL will open sharply down on LSE.

from poster Runswithflyingdolphins on the CC HAL Boards whose BIL works for Titan salvage, he was called to the ship by Carnival Corp:

I just talked to my brother-in-law and he just got off the ship after being on it for a while and says, "The pictures make it look a lot worse than it really is. The entire ship will have to be re-upholstered and such. I'll probably get all the stuff out [stuff being beds, chairs, fuel, etc.], patch `er up, pump the water out, and tow her to where ever Carnival wants me to, and then get paid." He also said that it will probably cost Carnival $150 million+ and take him a few months.

He said he can't really say any more (in terms of how it happened and what he's seeing because it's being investigated) and the above way he will be handling things is preliminary (of course). But he says if the same thing were to happen to him (he has his unlimited masters license) he would have "high tailed 'er outta there." Now he is probably extremely busy, and called my wife to let her know he was safe, so I probably won't talk to him for a few days. But I'll keep y'all updated.

Google Titan salvage dot com, very interesting company!

Please keep us posted.

Archived