Costa Concordia Unrecoverable

trintrav

In an interview with one of Germany´s leading newspapers, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, the President of Costa, Foschi, says that the "Concordia" is lost in any case. So the chances of seeing her sail again are zero according to the owners.

He also said that the rocks the ship hit were over water.

About the captain he admits that he was known as an authoritarian and difficult character.

It appears to Foschi that no crew alarm was given which led to the chaos as the crew arrived at the lifeboats at the same time as the passengers.

Would you sail on a ship that had already sunk once?

Hey, it happened with the Pride of America. Albeit it was a much smaller issue. It was bombarded with water while in wet dock and sank 3 decks. They recovered that, cleaned it up and she's still sailing. I sailed on her in Hawaii in 2005.

Now, would I sail on this one if it was cleaned up? No way. This is much more extreme.

On our news last night they had an expert in ship recovery on. He worked on the USS Cole and some others. He was straight to the facts. Yes, it can be done, You anchor/secure it and there were several steps to be taken, but it could be done, The issue he said is dependent on the cost. If the ship is insured for $5 hundred million and it could cost

$4 hundred million for recovery, then they will probably scrap it and take it apart piece by piece. It comes to numbers that the insurance company will most likely decide.

Hey, it happened with the Pride of America. Albeit it was a much smaller issue. It was bombarded with water while in wet dock and sank 3 decks. They recovered that, cleaned it up and she's still sailing. I sailed on her in Hawaii in 2005.

Now, would I sail on this one if it was cleaned up? No way. This is much more extreme.

Why shouldn't I sail on Concordia if she will be recovered? There's nearly no possibility that an accident like this happens again?

So let's hope that they decide tomorrow to pump out the fuel and than they recover the ship!

a8a590a22c668e26eaf33620482aa8f4.png

44cbd8cc446353fc54f33befbfdba0df.png

In an interview with one of Germany´s leading newspapers, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung,

the President of Costa, Foschi, says that the "Concordia" is lost in any case. ===> No big surprise. :cool:

He also said that the rocks the ship hit were over water.

Presuming he means above water/waterline

this would result in visible damage to the white portion of the hull, above the ship's waterline.

Anyone having pics of such damage above the waterline is requested to post same.

Personally I have seen(and have been Saving!) many many pics of serious damage below the waterline

(down in the red anti-fouling-paint portion of the hull)

but none showing damage in the white portion of the ship's hull, above the waterline.

Why shouldn't I sail on Concordia if she will be recovered? There's nearly no possibility that an accident like this happens again?

So let's hope that they decide tomorrow to pump out the fuel and than they recover the ship!

Hey, you can sail on her all you want. Your decision. I however, would not. Not comfortable doing that. :)

I think they will float her. Maybe she could be a hotel in a poor country or even an offshore jail. better then scrap metal.

I definitely agree with you! ;)

Maybe, if there's no option to set her in cruise service again, maybe they can use it as a Costa Museum! ;)

But let's hope that they find a solution to bring her back in service...

I think today there's the decision whether the fuel should be pumped out or not - am I right?

0909297873ce94e0af9fbb3bf448fd77.png

4443db8f612a9f31e19ec1366673ad11.png

I am sure the ship can be floated... to the scrap yard.

Due to salt-water damage, they would have to replace everything from the engines to the electrical wiring, and everything in between. I mean every connection of every wire would most likely be corroded.

Even if the connectors were waterproof (which would probably only be the more critical wiring), industry standards for general-purpose waterproof connectors are usually only good for 1m submerged depth, which clearly all of the lower mechanical areas of the ship has exceeded (sorry for my engineering mentality here).

They would have to rip all of that stuff out before they could install new stuff, so it might actually be more cost effective to just build a new ship.

If the insurance company totals it, and pays the cruise line off, they will own the ship - not Costa/Carnival. I am betting it is floated, then scrapped for salvage - which will still probably net $25m or so in just the scrap value.

Either that or the insurance company might sell the ship to some minor cruise ship operator that can find cheap labor to do the repair work.

At any rate, I would never expect to see the Costa flag flying on that ship again. And why would they want to if the insurance company totals the ship?. The only thing that might deter that is the lead time for building a new ship vs. the time it would take to repair the existing ship. I am not sure which would take longer.

Just my random thoughts...

I think they will float her. Maybe she could be a hotel in a poor country or even an offshore jail. better then scrap metal.

I disagree. If she is scrapped, the metal will be re-used for other projects. Repairing her and bringing her to the point where she could be used as a hotel or being retrofitted as a jail is just not feasible from a cost perspective.

I disagree. If she is scrapped, the metal will be re-used for other projects. Repairing her and bringing her to the point where she could be used as a hotel or being retrofitted as a jail is just not feasible from a cost perspective.

I do not agree, sorry. ;)

Ok, it depends on the economic sense, what is better - refloating or

scrapping - I think they use the cheaper method. ;)

We will see what happens - at first they have to pump out all the fuel. ;)

But when Costa says that the ship will be "out of service" longer than until the 30th Nivember, that means, that the ship will be in service some day again...

I do not agree, sorry. ;)

Ok, it depends on the economic sense, what is better - refloating or

scrapping - I think they use the cheaper method. ;)

We will see what happens - at first they have to pump out all the fuel. ;)

But when Costa says that the ship will be "out of service" longer than until the 30th Nivember, that means, that the ship will be in service some day again...

It's not going to be up to them, it's going to be up to their hull insurer. That company won't make a decision until it's in dry dock and a full inspection can be performed.

And right now I wouldn't pay attention to much of anything Costa is saying.

But when Costa says that the ship will be "out of service" longer than until the 30th Nivember,

that means, that the ship will be in service some day again...

Oh please...

Don't you recognize Corporate Nice Talk when you see it?

Do you think they're gonna say.. our ship's a complete wreck?

That wouldn't look so good on a media handout. :)

Of course they're gonna put a positive spin on it, if only for all the folks who think along sentimental lines

and there are plenty of them on this forum, all wishing and hoping she'll live yet again. *violin music in bkground* :cool:

How cute, but it's very likely that will not happen

as determined by nothing more grim than financial considerations and nought else.

Presuming he means above water/waterline

this would result in visible damage to the white portion of the hull, above the ship's waterline.

Anyone having pics of such damage above the waterline is requested to post same.

Personally I have seen(and have been Saving!) many many pics of serious damage below the waterline

(down in the red anti-fouling-paint portion of the hull)

but none showing damage in the white portion of the ship's hull, above the waterline.

Sorry, I meant "above" water, not "over". But that doesnt mean the CC hit a visible part of it. The visible part could have been 10, 20, 50 meters away from the place they hit it. Position and shape of the gash raises the question wether the captain saw the rocks too late and hit it while already turning away in a desperate manoeuvre. That coincides with the reports of passengers that there were two "hits" in a very short time. The first could have been an abrupt emergency manoeuvre, the second the collision.

Are you/they that sure?

because there are some plans to recover the ship...

And they want to stabalize it with steel ropes, so don't be pessimistic... ;)

I think it will work, even it would be a very ling process...

To recover a ship is something different than repairing it and return it to service. They´ll surely do try to recover it, but if successful it´ll most likely be only for the last journey.

The ship is severely damaged.........not just the relatively small area of the port side hull, but the starboard side has been grinding on the rocks and will continue to for at least another month or two. There is/will be ALOT of hull and structure damage. Add to that all the water inside her.........salt water.

This is not your average cargo vessel. This is a electronic system monster.....miles and miles of wiring, controls and systems. The salt will get into all this and rot it away. Basically little will be salvaged of the interior, it will all have to be gutted, above the present water level as well, so moisture will have gotten into that as well.

Now the ship was $570 million new, 7 years ago.............she maybe worth $300 million before the wreck.

The costs to gut the wreck to bear steel, make full repairs to the hull and structural interior, then fully install all new mechanical systems, fixtures, etc,etc,etc.,it will likely be cheaper to biuld a new vessel. It is alot easier to build a ship in blocks from the keel then have to feed and install all that equipment into a already built steel structure

The wreck itself will have value in the steel and some other things like engine blocks and other mechanics.

Lastly, no matter what name they put on a rebuilt ship..she will always be known as the CONCORDIA...........even to the general cruising pubic. That alone will cause a good number of possible passengers from sailing on her and choosing a different ship.

IMHO opinion, she will be scrapped of possible rebuilt into a different type of cargo vessel..

There have been reports that the plans of the various salvage firms, which ever gets the contract (Titan only has the oil removal as of now) include the possibility of cutting her up on the beach.

Of course all the underwriters and bean counters will have the final say in that.

AKK

I'm not sure the block will have value as a core, might just be scrap. I'd love to see that baby on a dyno, I'll bet it would cavitate and blow in under a minute due to sea water exposure causing wall perforation. Can we call Myth Busters?

Or they could also use the Smit Company - but I think it would make sense to pump out the fuel and do the search workings at the same time - it would make economic sense...

Than let's hope - they cannot wait much longer until the begin of pumping out...

Titan has been awarded the contract to remove the oil.

As to the salvage, there are only a few salvage firms with the skills and ability to handle this..Smit is certantly one. They will all be putting there plans together and then all the interested parties, local and national Italian goverment groups, ICG, surveyors, underwritiers and Costa will review the plans and one firm will be picked.

As to timing, as sad as it is, 10 days have past, all it will take is the wreck to keep grinding on the rocks, maybe a storm passes by and the oil will start leaking. With all respect to the families of the missing, I feel it is time to start setting up to pump off the oil.

AKK

Archived